Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano,
A W E S O M E!!!!!! You keep getting better and BETTER!:thumb:
But I have a problem....You said about yourself:
i am a mediocre modeler at best
So on a scale of 1-10, you think you're a 5....that means I'm a.....-5sign1
My new goal (in the years ahead) is to become a "mediocre" modeler! just like you!tooth1;)

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Wow man, you should really take better care of your toys. That one looks like it's about to rust appart ;)

Good job!

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Deano, I finally got around to reading your tut weathering, and I will be giving it a shot soon. I bookmarked both posts. I still need to get that black paint, or will any black work? Also, it looks like you left the trucks and couplers on, what if I eventually change those out, will I have to re-do it, or...?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
viperman said:
Deano, I finally got around to reading your tut weathering, and I will be giving it a shot soon. I bookmarked both posts. I still need to get that black paint, or will any black work? Also, it looks like you left the trucks and couplers on, what if I eventually change those out, will I have to re-do it, or...?
THANKS STEVEN!:D for the black paint, you could use ANY water based black to mix in with the rubbing alcohol. i use Polly Scale engine black. India ink is also an excellent choice to mix in with the rubbing alcohol instead of using black paint, the choice is yours;) . i wish you good luck on your weathering:D , and remember, that tutorial is meant for those just beginning weathering, theres TONS more you could do to achieve different looks, just depends on how far you want to take it:thumb: . be sure and post how you did:thumb: . THANKS! :D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
When I get to it, it will be my first weathering experience. I am a little timid, but also excited. I will post before and after pics whenever I do get it done.
Ok, so water based, got it. Don't have any right now, so I'll take a look. Craft stores, or Hobby Lobby?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steven, craft stores would have India ink, you could probably find paint if you go that route, at hobby lobby:thumb: . i have good luck with the Polly Scale "engine black". i mix about two teaspoons of the black paint into about a pint of 70% rubbing alcohol, you might want to use more/less;) . :D -Deano

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
AH yes, UP is by FAR my favorite railroad. I HATE BNSF for a reason (if you're curious, just ask, it's kinda a funny story), but one of my 3 favorite locos is the SD-40-2, most likely because I saw them the most when I was younger (though I'm pretty young still at 21) in Tacoma, Washington when I lived up there when I was 13-16. The pics are great, Thank you for the reminiscent visions you gave me! Love it. Keep 'em comin!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Hey, Deano, I just remembered, you had a tutorial on detailing engines. Do you know if it was in this thread or your last one? I remember it was a good one and I want touse it for detailing my UP C44-9W and BNSF Dash 8-40B.:thumb: :D

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hey Josh,

Nah you don't need a tutorial for detailing engines... It's pretty straightforward:

1 - look through the prototype photos and pick out the details you see on it that is not on the model.

2 - buy the detail parts.

3 - drill holes on the model to mount the detail parts (this is the hard part-- You have to be careful not to scuff up the paint job and make sure the holes are drilled at the right places and not off-center).

4 - test-fit the detail parts.

5 - if the fit is good, paint up the detail parts with the right colors.

6 - put the parts on, and glue them down from the inside of the shell.

Voila! :D

That UP C44-9W is pretty simple to detail.. You don't need to make any modifications to the shell aside from drilling holes. That BNSF B40-8 on the other hand would be a nightmare, because you have to cut a recess into the nose and make a new headlight mount there, and somehow get rid of the cab-mounted headlights, all without scratching up the paint.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh, though Tom IS correct:thumb: , the post you are looking for is on page 9 of THIS thread;) . if you detail your 2 engines, i would LOVE to see how they turned out!:thumb::D **n2trains:wave:, WELCOME!:D ALWAYS GLAD to have a UP fan pop in on THIS thread:D . you mentioned that you hated BNSF, NORMALLY UP fans and BNSF fans DON'T get along:( , i found this to be true on ALL forums i have been on...EXCEPT HERE!:thumb: i "thought" i hated BNSF till i realized it WASN'T BNSF i hated, it was the JERKS on OTHER forums that liked BNSF, and ALWAYS wanted to start a fight with the UP fans:( . announce1 THAT is one of the MANY reasons why i LOVE this forum, you don't find that type of nonsense HERE!:thumb: you will find that those that DO NOT like UP here, have the respect to stay off a thread that is in favor of UP, and NOT START A WAR!(and vice versa):thumb::D I HAVE NEVER, and i mean NEVER, seen a forum with more MATURITY, COMPETENCE, and RESPECT FOR OTHERS, then i have on THIS FORUM:thumb::thumb:(THANKS FOLKS!:D ). **Herc, THANK YOU, for posting that AWESOME pic!:thumb: seeing it did in fact give me a "Zen" moment:D . is that an 8-40B, OR C? i have an 8-40C:thumb: , BOTH are NICE looking engines:thumb: . THANKS FOLKS!:D -Deano View attachment 30815

Attachments

• 8-40c.JPG
    8-40c.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 78

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks Steve...but my new glasses are a testiment to working in Nscale! sign1

I'm trying to get the detail that other gauges enjoy into my Nscale layout...problem is everything is so small. I find taking close up pictures of the layout and looking on the computer (magnified) points out all the painting/glueing/etc flaws the eye just glances over.

Deano - that's a B-unit out of the box from Atlas (I weathered coupler/trucks). Next on its weathering detailing list is darkening the hoses...but I gotta wait for the coffee/caffene to wear off before starting that painting task...those hoses are tiny! Here's a couple more of the weathering (I picked up from you) on that SD70 and one more of the -B unit. Then no more pic's...this is your thread and I won't hijack it buddy! :thumb:

Attachments

• PA111003.JPG
    PA111003.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 76
  • PA111006.JPG
    PA111006.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • PA131025.JPG
    PA131025.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.