Engine/motor cleaner

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by 60103, Nov 25, 2002.

1. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

A couple of us were talking at the train show today, and we both remember ads for a locomotive cleaner.
    The picture in the ads showed a loco chassis dunked in a bath of some liquid, with the motor wired up and running, and the liquid cleaned all the gunk out of the motor, bearings, ...
    Does anyone remember what the stuff was? Did it work? Is it still available?
    (It wasn't an ultrasonic cleaner -- older that that.)
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

No but I used spray brake cleaner to un oil the oily mess in my 44T motor. Worked well. We'll have to see how the plastic is in a couple of months.
  3. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

There is a spray product used in the electronics industry that can be applied to "live" circuits to clean away solder-flux, grime, dirt etc.

Is that what you are looking for?
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The ad I remember showed a 2-8-0 or so chassis sitting in a big tub of the stuff, with power clips on the motor.
  5. Vic

Vic Active Member

WARNING! DANGEROUS STUFF!

The solution that was used to clean motors/etc. is trichlorethane more commonly know as 1,1,1. It is an industrial solvent that was commonly used in cleaning applications. Its use and manufacture was banned in the US in 1996. It is a substance similar to Freon 12 and was banned at the same time due to ozone depleation in the atmosphere. It was also found to cause lung cancer from inhaling the vapors and also skin cancer via direct contact.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

... I guess that's why they're not advertising any more.
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Either of the mentioned sprays are substitutes for 111 and should work pretty good. If you open it up enough to get the spray onto all the moving parts, they should work fine. There's no benifit to running it while cleaning it. Kinda like eating while you brush you teeth. Looks cool, sells, but doen't help.
  8. Vic

Vic Active Member

Another Warning!!!

If you use any kind of electronics cleaner on your motors or gears be sure that the can says that it is plastic compatible....some of it isn't and will eat up motor frames, plastic gears and the enamel insulation on the motor windings.
  9. babydot94513

Re: Another Warning!!!

Oops, yeah and a REALLY good suggestion too. I totally forgot about that significant issue.

Geesh, what a good way to ruin a good shell all because of the incompatability of chemical solvents to plastics.

10. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

When I was in the TV repair business in the late 60's and early 70's we had what was called "Tuner cleaner" it is in a can. We used it to clean TV tuners which contained plastic gears. It is also a lubricant.
  11. babydot94513

This was the stuff I was thinking of. Does anyone know if it is safe to use on locomotives???

12. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

As far as I can determine, it should not damage plastic. It "might" take the paint off. It doesn't damage the plastic gears in the tuners and also the nozzle is plastic and does not damage it.
  13. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Just checked the can I have on hand and it doesn't say anything about plastic.