Engine- 2.5, .15, .24???

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Justin_E, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

ya but all the motors on ebay or $50 and more. i dont want to spend all the money and screw it up.
  2. redheat

redheat Member

Ya that is alot of money to spend. good luck ,Red
  3. monsterrcbuilder04

4. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

What do you like better the wasp or the traxxas 2.5? I am thinking about both. What one has more torq? How about ease of tuning and holding a tune? I am not talking about hp or any of those numbers.. I want to hear from someone that has used both motors on there trucks. Thanks!
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

well i had the wasp .18 on my maxx before i sat it on the shelf. and i think any motor has better tuning and holds the tune longer thent he 2.5.
  6. redheat

redheat Member

Well I'm using the Wasp .18 in my GT and really like it . As far as the 2.5 motors go you really have to no what your doing to get them to run good , that doesnt bother me, I would like to try that P2 motor in one of my Maxxes , Ive heard good things about it. Both have a ton of torque of course gearing is the key for me. 2.5 rated at 1.33hp , Wasp .18 rated at 1.9hp. Wasp is easier to tune for me over the 2.5.
  7. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

Well more hp, simper tuning, plus a cheaper price. It looks like the wasp is a no brainer. Thanks for all the info :)
  8. redheat

redheat Member

What are you looking for motor for ? What truck do you have?
  9. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

I have a HPI MT-1. It has most of the albumin upgrades. It weighs 8 + pounds I believe. I have not actually weighed it. I have a .12 cv-rx in there. It goes, but it just doesn't have much power. In the grass is really bad. Since the closest track is an hour away, I end up in the grass allot. I just got the os engine. I didn't realize that the wasp was actually cheaper and had more power. I have to wait awhile now, cant spend that much right now.
  10. redheat

redheat Member

That cvr should rock and roll, I've got 3 of them and the are fast. Since you are running on grass I would drop the gearing for more low end to push threw the grass. I run on grass my self an have no problem, mind you that it is short and patchy with hills. You might need to tune that os if your lacking power something is not right. have you adjusted your carb. since breakin?
  11. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

I have tried it on many varing states of grass. I have it tuned as well as I can. I am still learning how to. If I lean it out any more it getts really hot. I am not sure how hot I do not have a temp gun yet. The one time it was on a temp gun it read 278. I richened it up right after that. Keep in mind that my truck weighs alot more than stock. It is almost as heavy as a tmaxx I saw, that the guy had taken some stuff out to lighten it. With all the aluminum parts I think it is just too much for the .12. I have a 52/12 gear ratio I think. Sure of the 52 think it is 12. It is the stock set up I am pretty sure. I had a 49 tooth on there and it had less torq.
  12. redheat

redheat Member

Yea you might be pushing a little more weight than I thought. 12/52 is that what it came with? I would have thought more like 15/65 or in that ball park.
  13. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

I just check the manual, 12/52 is stock. I am not too sure how exactly it works. It seems like 15/65 would be more low end torq? I have a couple of clutch bells hanging around not sure how many teeth they are. I know if you take the 52 and replace it with a 49 that would give you more high end, but not really sure how the whole thing would go when you change both. Can you offer any enlightenment?
  14. redheat

redheat Member

15/65 would give you more low end , My thinking was that if your bashing in the grass gearing lower would give you more pull or low end to get threw the tall grass quicker but as I said sacrificing top end speed. Are you using stock tire ,wheels. I found that 2.2 wheelsRPM and mashers work really well.
  15. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

How big of a sacrifice in high end are we talking? Just a little or alot? Useing stock tires and rims. I had a set of buggy tires but two times in a parking lot and I had mostly ruined them. I like the stock set for versitlity. I guess I should get 2 sets but on a budget.
  16. redheat

redheat Member

As far as cutting into the top end it'll cost you a little but stop and think for a minute, how often do you really keep it at top speed anyway ,heck most racers dont really ever see top end speed , In my opinion low speed is more productive on shorter tracks.
  17. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

Well I chewed up the 2 spur gears I had today. Going to give 15/65 a shot and see what happens.
  18. redheat

redheat Member

Gear mesh, that is so important, I learned the hard way myself when I first got into this hobby, finally I had some one show me how to do it the right way now I'll run a spur until it is worn out .
  19. Skandranon

Skandranon Member

The mesh was good, but for some reason my engine kept moving on the jumps. I had the screws locktighted in even. I guess I just didnt torq them down enfoe. I had phillips screws in there because the allen kept striping. I am going to get a good set of allen screwdrivers and some allen screws now. Should have done it in the first place but its always the money issue.
  20. redheat

redheat Member

Are you talking about the engine or motor mount? either way if it is the mount get a new one and use the best screws that you can afford, I like stainless steal there very strong. Sounds like either your screws are stripped or the threads on the mount until you get that fixed you are gonna keep having problems ,at 3or 4 bucks a spur gear that can get expensive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.