Engine 18 BCoFD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaygetz

On my module thread, I made reference to modifying a fire truck model to look something like the one my late father drove as a Firefighter--- http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7012

Starting with a picture of a similar piece of equipment called an Ariel Snorkel, I now had an idea of the basic details and paint scheme. Thankfully, I won't have to replicate the white stripe or the snorkel as they came after his retirement.

Attachments

• february 5, 2004.jpg
    february 5, 2004.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 187

shaygetz

I found this at a flea market, a promo piece from Readers Digest of all things, and a "freebie" light bar that comes with the box from a line of children's shoes. It has three LEDs that flash marque style off of 2 AA batteries.

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 196

shaygetz

The clear domes replicated older BCoFD lighting very well. Careful removal of the solder gave me 3 easy to relocate bulbs. I learned not to be afraid of applying too much heat as these things took quite a beating during my "explorer" phase. Using leftover wires from DCC decoder projects, I extended each light circuit to it's proper location. On the rear, to reduce the number of exposed wires, I used the wire handrail as part of the circuit, extending it into the tank body. Ther I soldered a feeder wire to it, then soldered one side of the LEDs to either end of the hand rail as shown. I used steel for the hand rail, I HIGHLY recommend using brass for its ease of soldering.

Attachments

• truck 2.jpg
    truck 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 198

shaygetz

The circuit board fit perfectly in the tank, with the wires coming down behind the rear wheels. I used shrink tubing to secure everything.

Attachments

• truck 3.jpg
    truck 3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 186

shaygetz

...worked. If you scroll these 3 frames up and down reeeeally fast, you'll get some idea of the effect:p ;) Onward to the paintshop....

Attachments

• flash3.jpg
    flash3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 173

CN1

Cooool:thumb:

Great job, awesome:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I try scrolling up-&-down real fast, as you suggested, but the only thing I saw was an ad that kept saying "Buy more stuff at your LHS":confused: :D :D :D :D :D

shaygetz

Originally posted by CN1
I try scrolling up-&-down real fast, as you suggested, but the only thing I saw was an ad that kept saying "Buy more stuff at your LHS":confused: :D :D :D :D :D

Nuts, you weren't 'sposed to actually SEE the ad, you were 'sposed to be hypnotically driven to DO the ad:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Well shaygetz
you never know what you will find EH!
Readers Digest HMMMMM
Thanks for the how to.

Status
Not open for further replies.