Enclave Power Armor build (Fallout) [FINISHED]

daishi

Using the backsides of pieces attached too tabs is about the only thing they are good for. I advise most people to remove them, as they do not work with them properly, and end up with big gaps showing. This thread shows great technique. Maybe you could address the pros and cons and when you should use tabs, and when you shouldn't, and "tab" preparation to avoid gaps. ;)
Yes removing the tabs and using a 3rd piece of paper on the back to hold together the 2 parts is really good technique, but really depends on how well you can cut. I mainly work with scissors, and it is hard to cut edes straight enough to use it. So I mainly use it when I can cut with a ruler and scapel, mainly long strait edges on flat objects ... which I don't build much of :p

In my opnion:
Tabs:
Pros:
- Less prone to gaps ¯\_/¯, due to the cut lines not being paralell/straight.
- Good for curved edges/surfaces, where I can play with the limited elasticity of slightly wet paper. A little slip on the lines is not that noticable.
- Easier to cut (at least with scissors)
Cons:
- Prone to elevated edge ¯\_ (can be mitigated with the techinque above)
- Can be hard to use on small parts
- For hard edges etching the fold lines takes more time. When used with thicker paper folded flaps may result in less sharp edges than required.

Without tabs:
Pros:
- Great to hide edges (If you can cut it precisely)
- Great to make hard edges
Cons:
- Curved edges require very precise cutting to avoid gaps in the corners.
- Hard to do curved surfaces with it (ok this one greatly depends on mesh complexity of the template too)
Depends:
- When using thicker paper on a complex shape the extra layer might introduce some tension to the parts, or add stability, depends I guess.

Conclusion:

Both techiques are good depending on the situation.
I mainly do curved surfaces and prefer scissors, so I mainly use tabs, but for boxy shapes and hard edges I do cut the tabs off most of the time.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I've noticed when you use tabs, they are for location, not necessarily pushed hard against a piece, but folded as angles, which when used with glue, allows for a nice seam. Ogranic shapes, like the ones you make are a bit different than the boxy straight shapes of the space ships people make. By gluing a 90 degree tab, the making sure that the tab is recessed by using a piece of the same size paper your building with, you will get a corner that appears as a line without the white edge showing. A long 90 degree tab also adds much stability to the edge and prevents warping as there is no stress on the paper. Tabs are stressing one side of the paper to attach to another. Separate tabs do not exert any kind of force, they simply act as a location marker, and a place to put the glue. If you find the tab is off, it can be cut out and another put on top in the proper place. There is much flexibility. As demonstrated in the pics below. You can see that with curves, a separate triangulated trip can be made to take any shape. I use this technique when restoring wheel arches of cars, (the Red piece in the pic below, on the right), and other curved sections, and weld them into place, if a patch panel is not available.

I have a collection of scissors that are straight, and very long, down to very small ones, and also curved ones, in both directions. I rarely use Exact-o blades.

You have mastered the proper technique of using tabs, and for certain shapes, they can really work out well. I have found that most modelers bend them, crating a gap, or distorting the side when they don't score and bend the tab, which is why I and others promote removing and making separate tabs. Just a difference in technique. These techniques should be discussed. It's not so much a pro and con, it is the proper use of tabs, which again I write, you have mastered, and if others used them in that fashion they would have equally high quality models. With solid geometric shapes though, the warping created by tabs, as in saucer sections of Star Trek Enterprise models, demonstrates the need for an alternate method. A separate tab can be glued on, cause no stress on the part, and when dried, has defined the plane on which it has been placed, the part to be glued onto that tab does not have to stress itself, holding tabs in place, it merely has to stick to an already dried, and in place structure. ;)

corner-joint-jpg.119607
curve-triangle-edge-strip-jpg.119608

daishi

Sorry guys , no update this week. A bunch of stuff was happening this weekend, so didn't have the time.

Just a difference in technique. These techniques should be discussed. It's not so much a pro and con, it is the proper use of tabs, and if others used them in that fashion they would have equally high quality models...
I totally agree. It is one techniqe I found to work well with rounded shapes (which I build a lot), but I generally have problems with geometric shapes when I try to use hem.

One thing I tried once was printing a the texture-less white template, and using that as an underlay for glueing together the textured parts (from which I cut the tabs off). If the flaps were arranged with this in mind it could work fine for geometric chapes, otherwise it's more problematic than useful. Also making curved parts was a problem due to 2 thick-ish layers of paper glued together.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
One thing I have noticed is that you really know howto use glue. I never see any on one your models! Keeping parts on the same plane as to the corresponding part it is mating to is the goal, you end up with better looking models, which is what we all desire. ;)

daishi

One thing I have noticed is that you really know howto use glue. I never see any on one your models! Keeping parts on the same plane as to the corresponding part it is mating to is the goal, you end up with better looking models, which is what we all desire. ;)
Thank you! While I do some trick with glue, part of the truth is that the PVA glue I use dries to a slightly milky matte substance that has almost the same reflexion index as the paper I use so it's hard to notice the few places I do manage to smudge the glue. :p

Aaaand since image upload is working again here are the results since the last update!
I've built the pauldrons with the high back plate, that will be basically an oversized armor plate around the head and shoulders.
EPA_WIP_604.jpg EPA_WIP_601.jpg EPA_WIP_602.jpg EPA_WIP_603.jpg EPA_WIP_605.jpg
Also some piping and stuff that will go to the belly and sides and most of the breastplate is also done.
EPA_WIP_606.jpg EPA_WIP_607.jpg EPA_WIP_608.jpg EPA_WIP_609.jpg EPA_WIP_610.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I'm impressed not only by your builds, but that you know the name of these "fiddly bits'. :)

daishi

I've had a busy past few weeks and it does not seem to let up, but here are some knee-bolts and air filters for now ;)

EPA_WIP_901.jpg EPA_WIP_902.jpg EPA_WIP_903.jpg
Ribbed pipes are best from plastic straws (built them from paper on the T-51b, so been there done that :p ) need some paint thou.
Also no pics of it but painted most of the white parts on the flip ends black, since due to the original mesh, this model will not be a closed up one.

Last edited:

daishi

Started on more piping for the helmet and the armor too. Also added the frames for the pauldons.
EPA_WIP_1101.jpg EPA_WIP_1102.jpg EPA_WIP_1103.jpg
EPA_WIP_1104.jpg EPA_WIP_1105.jpg EPA_WIP_1107.jpg EPA_WIP_1106.jpg
And after building the standard power armor frame hands ...
EPA_WIP_1108.jpg
... final assembly! I still need to build the Atom's Judgement sledgehammer I planned, but I need tho make the template for it. And I have emebedded a few magnets for detachable Tesla nodes. So the project is not ye complete.
EPA_WIP_1110.jpg EPA_WIP_1109.jpg
(The armor is holding my paper rolling tool in its hand, so that is not a final part :D )

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You really have been busy. You are amassing quite a collection of superb models. Some of the best work I have seen. You are at the top tier with these. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Got your next project already for ya! The Prydwen Brotherhood Ship ... all textured and ready.. that is to say.. I have the mesh ripped and textured.. the rest you can deal with.." It would make a GREAT MODEL";)

daishi

Got your next project already for ya! The Prydwen Brotherhood Ship ... all textured and ready.. that is to say.. I have the mesh ripped and textured.. the rest you can deal with.." It would make a GREAT MODEL";)

It would, but I think I'll go with the Midwestern Brotherhood Power Armor next, seen a great model in the making on Nexus :D

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You really are making masterfully built models here. It's a pleasure to watch, quite amazing actually. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Can't go wrong with that.. Can't go wrong with just about anything from the game... IMO especially the way you are going at it!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Your attention to detail is what makes these so intense. They are more than models, this kind of craftsmanship goes into Art. ;)