emd gp20 in stockton,ca

matt fisher

Mar 1, 2006
turlock,ca
hi every body
has anyone recently taken amtrak califonia towards stockton ca and has seen the new bnsf intermortal yard and saw some emd low nose possibley a gp20 that's painted black or dark blue with yellow strips on the nose does anyone know what railroad they came from. it has a sloped nose all three do and they all look like the western pacific and southern pacific gp20.

matt

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Dark blue with yellow stripes doen't sound like any paint scheme used by the Santa Fe or the BNSF. It sounds like it might be a lease unit, or it may belong to a short line up north that I'm not familier with. Is there a slope on the low nose, or is it flat on top and parrallel to the ground? I think the Santa Fe had sold off most of their chop nosed gp7s and maybe some of the chop nosed gp9s before the merger with the BN. Any of those units could be found in leased service or in use on a short line. Some of the early Santa Fe chop nosed units used the standard cab, but I think most got the "Topeka" cab that is noticeable for being taller than a standard cab by about 6 inches, I think.