Embossing Tip

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by CardStalker, Jan 4, 2008.

1. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Reverse Embossing

To do this in reverse is a bit more tricky. You need to work from the reverse side but you need to have markings to guide you or a light table with a clear matte. Not something meny have. So the other thing you can do is overlay. In other words, cut out the form from another print out and edge prep it and glue it down on the surface you want to bring out. This is probably the best way for mose people because you don't need special equipment to do it. Here is the recovery section with overlay. The parashute area was buit up with several layers to bring out the detail.

Attached Files:

2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Radio can overlay

Here is the radio can with overlay on the sides and top. You can also see that I did a inside overlay on the side for the camera. I cut a hole and then glued another copy of the camera lense to the inside to give it depth. The anttena at the top is a toothpick carved down and panited red with a red sharpie.

Attached Files:

3. Darwin

Darwin Member

CardStalker, I think the tool you refer to is a burnishing tool. Most craft stores have them in the scrapbooking/stamping/card embossing section. The come in various sizes, ranging from a ball tip that is about 1/32 inch diameter, up to about 1/4 inch diameter. I've also found stencils in that section that are used with the burnishing tool for embossing different width lines, designs, etc. into card stock. There are also several leather working tools that come in handy in card modeling.
  4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Actualy the tool I show is a nail setter. Would love to see pics of the tools you are talking about. Again I would like this thread to be one that everyone has an input to. Thank you Darwin.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

OK

Thanks, CardStalker,

for the thorough explanation. I get it now. I have a vague recollection of my father showing me this in my early teens. That is exactly the way he did it; first hammer the nail down with a thin hammer, then further with this nail setter tool.
    You can then use a wood filler or putty to make the hole almost invisible, when you are making furniture, etc.

Best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Bengt, you got it. So nice to talk to someone that see's the simplisity of the device.
  7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Thanks for sharing your techniques, some really interesting embossing methods, and eye-catching results.
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

Cardstalker, the burnishing tool is the first one you mentioned for doing the embossing, not the nail setter. The larger crafts stores (like Michaels) have a small section devoted to paper embossing....it's worth taking a look to see what tools are usable in our hobby.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule Model

CardStalker,

That Mercury 'radio can' looks incredibly realistic with the correct outward rib, the red antenna and the half-moon hatch on top - please post a photo of the completed capsule when you are done. A very nice job.
    Will you do the complete red launch escape tower as well?

All the best from Stockholm,
  10. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Darwin, Ok I understand what you were saying. I'll have to take a look around at those places and see what they have to offer. One thing I like to do is try and find ordinary things that most people might already have or can get cheaply to do card models with.

Bengt, thank you very much. I don't think I can do the tower on this model as Delta 7 did not design it with the right size shoulder at the radio can recovery intersection to incorperate it properly. and yes I will post a pick when done. Almost there, just life keeps getting in the way, lol.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi CardStalker,

Ah, it´s the Delta 7 model - I thought I recognized the patterns. I bought the (blue) 'Friendship 7' capsule model two years ago from Fiddlersgreen, which I recolored.
    There is actually a VERY nice red (big scale) launch tower on one of the model sheets of Erik te Groen´s "Mercury Friendhip 7" capsule model. Check it out here - click "Modelbouw" in the left-hand margin - and you´ll find the capsule model at the very bottom of his space modeling page: Volkssterrenwacht Philippus Lansbergen
    The capsule itself has a rather simple pattern but the tower is really nice, especially if you downscale it and re-color it a little more towards orange . . .
    As you probablt already know, space modeller Ton Noteboom also has a very detailed launch tower to go with his 1:24 scale black Mercury capsule on Jonathan Leslie´s site: Index of /tonmercury
    If you´d like to, you can probably use one of the rings from Ton´s model (there is one red and one black option) to fit either of the towers to your Delta 7 model.
    I am actually thinking of doing a sort of 'kit-bash' of those two towers (not the LOTR ones, lol!) for my 1:24 scale Sigma 7 Mercury, if I ever get to emboss all the 'louvers' and finish it . . .

Best of luck with the finishing - your models are always wonders of perfection!
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hi Bengt. I already have Ton's downloaded. I have not built it yet. As to the other site, I can't seam to get to it as it keeps locking up my Internet Explorer. Since its a free download would you be able to send it to me, pm me if you can. And thanks for the wonderful comments.
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi,

Sure, I can send you whatever you need. PM me your mail address - that way, it´s easier to send you the files you´d like.

Waiting to hear from you,
    bengt@freden.se
  14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thank you Bengt.
  15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Finished

Hello all. Finaly got it done. Please anyone that wants do add your tips to this thread, please do. Wold like to keep this going. So here are the pics.

Attached Files:

16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Delta 7 Mercury 'Sigma 7' Capsule

Hi CardStalker,

To borrow Jim´s words; simply bee-you-tee-ful!
    One of the best Mercury capsules I´ve seen. I like the metallic sheen that you´ve applied and the extensive embossing of all the shingles - expert work.
    The detailing is also very nice, especially the radio can, the telescope, the window and the retro pack. Way to go, Dennis.

All the best,
  17. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thank you so much Bengt for the kind words. My best to you. Please anyone feel free to add any tips you have come up with for embossing.
  18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Cardstalker,

Excellent job on the model, and thank you for the tips on tools. Your embossing is first rate.
  19. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

SAustin16, thank you very much. Try some things out and let us know how things work for you. Anything you come up with would be great. My best.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice work, Cardstalker!
    Beautiful job and some great tips and pictures!
    Thank you!

Russell