Eleven years in the making...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I know that's a long time but pantographs are expensive and a bear to scratchbuild. Finally found a lady on Ebay selling them new at $15 a pair, a price I couldn't pass on. So, here's the B&MC's most recent addition to the trainshed and it's first shopbuilt lokey, a 600 h.p. juicejack affectionately refered to as "Sweetums". Some folks may recognize this from one of my first posts a long time back, asking if she should be "Diesel or 'lectric"? Well, 'lectric won :thumb:

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 572

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
It was built from my old standby, styrene signage from a retail store I used to work at. In fact, it was the project that showed me how workable the material was, being built in the three thicknesses that it is available in. The body is layered to add window depth and the rivets were made by poking the plastic with the point of a very sharp #11 Xacto blade. It's all held together with Testor's Liquid Plastic Cement. The radiator vents were made with MDC's old-timer freight car roof walk material with other details from Cal-scale and bent wire and ladder stock.

Attachments

• box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 571

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Bob. The pilot details... I love how the hanging chain makes it look "lived in". The body is a friction fit, hence the gap, normally not seen. The lokey is built on an old Walther's doodlebug frame and drive train that's been shortened almost by half. It uses the original spring belt transmission with a Sagami can motor upgrade. An SPDT switch provides the ability to pickup from the overhead (was there any doubt, Chris ;) ?) or two rail into a Lenz decoder. The poling pockets are done with thinly sliced plastic tubing. By carefully applying epoxy to the inside, it forms a concaved surface and filet that looks like cast iron when painted. The only thing is...I can't paint it :rolleyes: Seems the beloved Miss M has grown to like the "work in progress" look of unfinished styrene and brass. Truth be told, I've grown to like it that way too :eek:ops: .

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 552

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Fred. This view of the roof shows the curve and upper detail. The doors are scrap MDC Overton coach doors. As with most boxcab juicejacks, both ends are identical.

Attachments

• box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 539

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Kind of reminds me of SN 1010/410:
410.jpg

Nice work--I particularly like the idea for poling pockets and plan on borrowing the idea for a couple of my "works in progress"!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Val.

Thanks, Guys, I do appreciate the comments.

Thanks for that pic, Jet. One thing I've almost always known in my modeling was that there is a prototype for most anything you can dream up in the shop. The windows with the sides being lower than the ends bothered me 'til I found that many prototypes had that arrangement. Ditto for the ladders in front of the engineer's window.

Russ, the drive train is the complete running gear from the Walther's Doodlebug. It sports the classic spring belt drive that was state of the art in the 60s. I just love old school drives. The only modification was the Sagami can motor, I had it in the scrap box and it was a drop-in fit.

Attachments

• box6.jpg
    box6.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 181

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I don`t know how I missed this beut!!!!

But I did :eek:ops:
That is a very fine piece of workmanship Shaygetz one of the best scratch built traction models I have seen in a long while.

The pan sure reaches for the wires I love that, Detail is GREAT.
Well done :thumb: :thumb:

Got the lights working yet???? :)