Electro-magnetic uncuppler?

kf4jqd

Simple Science!

Dave:

Making an electro-magnet is simple! You take a nail and wrap wire around it. I have never seen a Kaydee uncoupler, but this is the basic science on how to makine one.

1.One nail
2.Wire
3.Battery

Steps:
Wined the wire around the nail and apply power.

Hope this helps! You can also go to your local libaray and look up simple science projeect books that can go into more detail.

Andy

Gary Pfeil

Here's how I made some for my railroad: I bought 1"pipe nipples, 2" long. While clamped in a vise, I used a hacksaw to remove about 1/3 of the pipe. This gave me a channel. I wound fibreglass tape around the nipple to protect the magnet wire. I used something like gauge 29 magnet wire. Don't remember the axact size but remember thinking how odd that magnet wire comes in odd sizes. Leaving a few inches hanging down, I wound the core with the wire until the channel was full. I wrapped more fibreglass tape around it. That's it. I built about 8 of these, and they get power thru a heavy duty push button. Mine are current hogs compared to the Kadee's , which I was just too cheap to buy. I got the wire and tape free, also the switch. I bought pipe nipples and a transformer. Got the rectifier free too come to think of it. If you do this you need a 24 volt power supply. Keep a fire extinguiser near by. Only kidding, but I was concerned about the heat generated by the coil. The momentary nature of its use keeps heat from being an issue, but if the pushbutton welds itself, then heat could cause a fire. I put the power switch right next to the control panel, with a led which is always on except when power is routed to a coil. If the led goes out, I will shut down power. Never had any problems tho.

Gary

Vic

Anybody want 5 packages of Kadee #307 Electric Uncouplers???
The packages are kinda shopworn but they've never been opened. Preffer a trade....Send me a private message if interested.