Electrical Help Needed.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I'm gonna start doing a lift out section on my layout. I want a way to cut of the line electrically so I don't turn any more locos into F-14's.
I have a vague idea, should I use a momentary switch, to isolate a section of track, using the bridge section to engage it,or should I use a DPDT switch and do it manually. I'd rather have it someway so I don't have to remember to throw the switch. I will forget to do it too.
Any diagrams will be heplful.
As always....Thank-you.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ed:
I did mine so that the liftout section forces the disconnect. I put some short wires with phono plugs on the ends of the liftout and the sockets sit on the shore benchwork. I can't lift it out more than a couple of inches unless I disconnect.
Also, the power is fed from alternate ends. The north rail is fed from the west and carried through the liftout and then powers the east end, where there is a short section (about 2 or 3 loco lengths) that will be dead when the lift is open.
The south rail is fed from the east end, and again there is a section that will be dead.
On my layout, there is a common rail (north), but the south is fed through a block control.
Clear as mud?
A better carpenter than I could probably use the phono plugs as fixing studs, so the liftout automatically is positioned and connected.
Don't back any long trains into the gap. :curse:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
A roller switch would be more sensitive and easier to position than a push button switch. A STSP wired to a gap in one rail at each approach set out a few inches longer than your longest loco or MU setup would do the trick.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Ed,

I'd insulate about 1 foot along the track (of the fixed section) either side of your "liftout" section. Only need to insulate 1 rail, of course.

No need for a switch.

I would then run a wire from the powered rail (before the insulating) to the edge where you liftout section rests. At the edge (that the liftout section rests on) i'd put in two screws. about an inch apart. Attach the wire from BEFORE the insulated rail to one screw. Then attach a wire from the OTHER screw, to the "insulated" rail.

next, I'd get a piece of metal, about 1 1/2 inches long, and screw it under the edge of the liftout section, right where is rests of the two screws.

So, placing the liftout section in place, will complete the circuit from BEFORE the insulated rail to AFTER the insulated point.

Get my idea? That way, if you lift out the section (break the circuit), you loco will stop when it gets to the insulated rail, but if the liftout section is in place, your loco will continue on!!

You could also power the "liftout section" in a similar manner.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
I agree w/Woodie 100%. That is an awesome plan for a fool-proof safety cutout! If you were really into wiring, you could find some schematics on safety cutouts somewhere and wire one up for yourself, but this is totally practical w/o having to go buy too many circuitry components!:thumb:

-doc

Bongo Boy

Dec 2, 2004
Colorado Springs
Can you guys explain what a 'liftout' and/or 'liftout section' is and what it's used for? Is this a section of mounted track that's physically removed from the table, a section of track that is electrically switched out of the track circuit, what?

Also, Woodie refers to an 'edge' that the liftout rests on...this is an edge of what, exactly. Thanks--I'm not getting a visual on this 'cause I just don't know what these terms refer to.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Attached is a very butchered drawing of a lift-out section. It was a masterpiece w/colors and much larger, but the forum only lets you use so much memory, and so much physical size for each attachment. Anyways, Woodie, if the wiring isn't what you meant, or it is a little different than what you had in mind, please feel free to edit is as needed. :thumb:

ED,

I hope this shines some light on what you were asking!:)

-doc

Attachments

• LIFTOUT SECTION.bmp
    19.1 KB · Views: 129

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Liftout sections are used when layouts go past a doorway or when there's a reason to go into the middle of a circular setup. After a certain age, or for certain jobs, you can't crawl under the benchwork anymore.

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
David, you got that right about, "after a certain age". I'm at that certain age and I'm not going to duck for anything, (as far as railroading). Broken back twice now over the last 40 years put an end to my ducking !!!!!!