Edge Coloring

Paragon

So I don't know how many more of you out there really worry about edge coloring, but it's something I feel very strongly about. A model with well colored edges just looks better overall to me. I've had a large collection of Prismacolor markers since high school that I use for a lot of the colored edges, but with lots of scifi models you need a lot of gray, as it is the go-to color for any kind of space ship, it seems. I had some gray Prismacolors, but they've run out, and are pretty expensive to replace. I recently stumbled on some great calligraphy pens on Amazon though, that are pretty cheap, and come in 6 different gray shades (both warm and cool grays too).

Anyone else have good options for edge coloring?

Here are the pens I found, for those interested: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044JOPZY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

paper hollywood

I picked up one of those big sets of markers when I first got in to card modeling, but I found it too easy to get bleeding color in the wrong places. The technique that works best for me is just a good old fashioned small watercolor brush with a bit of carefully mixed watercolor. Actually, I picked up one of those little sets of opaque watercolors that come dry on a pallet like we used in kindergarten. I get the color on the length of the brush, then touch just the side of the brush to the paper edge. It works.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I don't color anymore when I'm on the edge. I'm too nervous and uptight! :)

ASC Mclaren

depending on the color, I go between Prismacolor pens and pencils. Although with the pencils I have to be careful not to fray the edges.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use simple markers for "easy"colourings (mainly pure black, yellow, green etc.). If I need a specific tone I use water colours. This gives me full control of the colour and enables me to create the exact tone needed to make the edge invisible.

tatertot

depending on the color, I go between Prismacolor pens and pencils. Although with the pencils I have to be careful not to fray the edges.
I really like this option. I have only used the paints and it never looks the nicest. But I do feel that the pens and pencils would bring me better luck. Will have to try that out for sure.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I really like this option. I have only used the paints and it never looks the nicest. But I do feel that the pens and pencils would bring me better luck. Will have to try that out for sure.

The trick with using paint, is using a "dry" brush. Meaning having the least amount of paint on the brush before you paint the edges. You will get better results that way.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
What kind of paint do you use?
I use simple water colour paints.
I will mix up the colour that I want. Let the paint dry into a cake. Then when I need it, I will dip my paint brush into water and then smear it in the paint cake to get the amount pf paint that I need (which is a very small amount). Then paint the edges.