Edge Coloring?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by jparenti, May 8, 2007.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

I ask this simply because I'm in the middle of a model that involves edge coloring, and I started to wonder how many of you actually do it. I usually don't. :oops: But the Mercury capsule I'm doing right now looks a lot better after taking the Sharpie to it!
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...I just don't have the right pen (and patience :D) to do it...
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I generally do. I dont look for a perfect match, but something close enough so you don't get a horribly contrasty white line that sticks out like a sore thumb. The closest pen in my collection of felt tips usually gets close enough. Mind, my models aren't exactly exhibition quality ;)
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I color the edges, and the tabs usually, when I remember to. I hate the white lines on my models. "My" stressed because I certainly understand those who are nit-picky perfectionists like me.... :)
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I color edges of the parts but don't go overboard trying to match the color. As long as it is close match (usally try for a bit lighter color) it's fine with me.
    I have set of 25 watercolor brush pens that do the job nicely.
  6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i make it and use a colored pancils

or some 50% dray pan
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, I color the edges all of the time using Prang colored pencils. The tabs, when used, get colored at the fold line in case the fold is not accurate. :)
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I color the edges with water color paints (in tubes) or colored pencils.
  9. Kaz

Kaz Member

Water colour pencils at the moment, but will turn to water colour tablets, or tubes when I get fed up of hoovering the shavings EVERYTIME I have to sharpen them
  10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I build mostly prototypes as I design the model. Other people do white builds for this. I don't, since I need to color to help me remember where parts go. But I don't color the edges. I suppose this also helps with seeing where the parts don't fit right yet.
  11. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I always color the paper edges. I use cheapie water color markers on many of my models. On military subjects I usually use acrylic paints and a brush since it's hard to find muted, drab colors with markers (unless you want to spend a lot of money). I always color the edges first before gluing the part together.

Don
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I'm a Sometimes when I feel like it.................. most of my builds are for play............. the display ones get edge colored.:grin: Usually a grey marker.........light or dark. That's all you need.

john
  13. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Water colour paints usually as I find pens can deform the edge.
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I DID learn to color the edges in cardmodels.net... and then I saw the light!
  15. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I'm a sometimes person. All I do is use shavings from a variety of pencil leads. Dab a soft cloth in the powder and rub it on the edges to kill the obvious contrast. Works for me.

Elliott :)
  16. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

always color edges

I always color the edges using water colors. My wife has a good knowledge of paint mixing and helps me get the right color. I'm using a cheap set of 24Crayola colors that you add a drop or two of water to soften the little paint pad thing. John
  17. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

I think that the work to color the edges of the paper is positive. The first model that colors the edges is Jaguar E-Type and frame before and later.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Tips and Techniques?
  19. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Watercolor Pens

I have a good supply of various colors (although it seems black and brown get the most use).

Terry
  20. DrBill

DrBill Member

I use watercolor pencils that you can get in almost any tint at an artists' supply store. I use a very fine brush (number 00 or 000), dip it in some water, and then pick up color from the pencil's point. As Mike mentioned, use a color that's slightly lighter than the printed color so as not to emphasize the join (big deal when building butt-joined models). When you run out of pencil point, sharpen it....