Edaville Water tank

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
here is a model that i have been wanting to build for 4 or so years. well today i finaly started.

it is being built in O scale for my On2 layout
modled after edaville in the mid 60's.

here is a pic of the water tower in real life well it is now torn down.
13.jpg

here is the tank. it is made out of a tube i had laying aroung from something. it was to thin to work with so i filled it with hydrocal to make it stiffer so i could add the rivits and other details.

PC060010.jpg

here is the cinder block base made out of .040 styrene covered with plastruct O scale block.

PC060011.jpg

PC060008.jpg

here is a shot where i started to wrap the "tank" with .020 styrene to make it look like the plates that were rivited to make up the tank

PC060009.jpg

here are a few other shots with some of the detail. istill have a lot of work to do but i will update the photos as i go.

PC060013.jpg

PC060012.jpg

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Looks like you've got a good start! :thumb:

However, in the prototype pic, the water tank is only slightly taller than the cinder block base. Are you planning to trim the tube down a bit?

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
2-8-2 said:
Looks like you've got a good start! :thumb:

However, in the prototype pic, the water tank is only slightly taller than the cinder block base. Are you planning to trim the tube down a bit?

yes i just sutuck the tank in there so you could see a photo of the model in progress. the base is 9'6" tall and the tank is another 16' above that. i will have to scan in the drawings i am working off of. they are in the septembe 1968 model railroad crasftman more to come tommarow

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
What gauge is the track in the first picture? It sure doesn't look like standard gauge.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
The Maine two footer, that is also a book you guys might want to look into. One of my favorites and along with the yukon RR it was my introduction to narrow gauge.

Shawn, I like what you are doing, thanks and keep posting :)

I did notice in your store a lack of narrow gauge water towers though :D Or did I look in the wrong spot? :)
Thanks again

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
fsm1000 said:
The Maine two footer, that is also a book you guys might want to look into. One of my favorites and along with the yukon RR it was my introduction to narrow gauge.

Shawn, I like what you are doing, thanks and keep posting :)

I did notice in your store a lack of narrow gauge water towers though :D Or did I look in the wrong spot? :)
Thanks again

once i am finished with the tower i will be making a mold of it and offering kits. along with 5 or 6 other buildings i have in the progress

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
hey all just thought i would drop in and update you all on the water tower. i got kicked out of my normal modeling space because the xmass decorations are going up :cry: so for right now the model it in a box sitting on my bed. hope fully tonight i will have my new workbench built and i will be able to get back to the model. and continue on a On2 station i started a few months back, hope to have more pics soon

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I just watched Trains and Locomotives last night on RFDTV. It should be on again on Friday with the same episode but it was all about the Edaville RR. Pretty amazing stuff!
There are a few scenes with the water tower in it. The video dates from 91 or 92.