Ed-209?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wyverns4, Jul 23, 2006.

1. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

ED is here!

ED-209 is in progress and almost built:

[​IMG]

A side view:

[​IMG]

SEND ACCOLADES AND KUDOS....BZZZZZ, CLICK....YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY

[​IMG]
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

No fair!! I thought I was gonna be first... Stupid family slowing me down...
    :roll:

Any chance of getting a close-up of the "ankles". I want to make sure I am on the right track so far..

And opinions so far??
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow Doc, you must have been awake and working on this since it's release!
    Great job on Ed, he looks fantastic!

Russell
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

That was fast.
  5. zecks

zecks Member

first thought: holy **** it stands up, second thought: omg the extended knee braces worked, Third thought: that looks like an awesome build.

i need to know how big is it and did you scale it down at all? and are you happy with the model?

also do the joints work? this was my first time and test of making the sockets an actual part instead of a rolled up piece of paper.
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My first thought was just "Holy S***, that was fast!" but I changed it to "Wow":twisted:

Russell
  7. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

MOS95B: Have an 8 month old daughter, so I feel your pain. Actually, it's the late nights that let me progress so quickly.

Zecks: Thank you! This is a great model! Yes, it stands! I put 5 nickels in the gun pod to get the balance right, and there you go. The knee braces work great, however, the joints need a mod. They are octagons inside of octagons, so they lock up like an allen wrench in a bolt. Make the inserted part more circular and they'll work great. I printed it at full scale, and it came out to be 29cm tall. I love this model! Thank you again for your generosity and hard work!!!!! Its only an awesome build because it's an awesome kit!
  8. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

Here are some pics of the ankle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a small mod I made:

Take two strips of cardstock, about the width of the top of the foot base, and glue them together perpendicular to each other:

[​IMG]

Start folding them over each other:

[​IMG]

To get this accordian shape, six fold in all:

[​IMG]

Attach the accordian thingy to the front top of the foot base, and then the inside of the leg bottom:

[​IMG]

This allows the foot to pivot and move, great for posing. Be sure to put 5 nickels in one of the gun pods, or else it wil fall backwards.
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Sweet, thanks!! Looks like so far so good.

I'd have been really aggravated if I got done and he kept tipping over...
  10. zecks

zecks Member

i like your idea for the ankle "joints" the thing with the joints i made was i was hoping to get this "snap into position" kind of joint where it could rotate and then lock into a position. i thought of this because some of my mechwarrior models had loose joints and woild eventualy look down and the arms would drop. i figure since there is no end cap on the socket the paper would move and bend a little to the shape of the octogon joint allowing it to move and rotate but then snaping into position when the corners meet. this would eliminate the loose and sagging joints problem. i guess i didnt do it right.
  11. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

As a suggestion, why not make the female joint part an octagon, and the male part a decagon, or, whatever you call a twelve sided figure, then there would still be that snap, but it would rotate easier.
    BTW, I've paid for models of lesser quality, would you accept a donation as thanks? If so, do you have a PayPal account I could send it to?
  12. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

ED is done!

HA! Just noticed the time on my last post. Anyway here are some finished pics of ol' ED:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You talkin' to ME? You talkin' to ME?!!(oops, wrong movie!)

[​IMG]
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow!!! That is soooooo cool.... Great job!! You and Zecks should both be proud...

You still suck for beating me to it, though.... :wink:
  14. daredevilbr

daredevilbr Member

It was very good the mode alfadocl!!

congratulations!!! :-D
  15. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

oops!

Sorry guys, messed up. Five nickels in the gun pod is too much, now it is front heavy. Took out three and that seems about right. hope noone got it done and had the same problem.
  16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Thanks! You saved me 15 cents!! Tha't almost a thrid of a cup of coffee! :)
  17. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

One more thing... on the leg bottom(the part the foot attaches to), it might be wise to beef up the top flap that the braces attach to. The top half of the model exerts a lot of torque on this part, and I, ve noticed it sagging a bit. My suggestion is to cut a layer or two of cardstock to this shape and laminate it to the flap bottom before you glue it down.
  18. zecks

zecks Member

i have decided that i would be willing to accept a donation but i would feel kind of bad taking your money because i made this for the community.

i will try to fix some of the problems with the joints and what not when time permits.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Why am I thinking of the movie 'Young Guns' where the guy had dimes in his shotgun... lol
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Zecks ... your totally screwed now. You put your design bar high and now you have to keep it up. =P

Thanks for your efforts. I think this is deffinately worth a trip to Staples.