Ebay why do they what they do?

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I am speaking of sellers with over 100 negative feed backs? ( I just ran across one.)

His rating was 94% a good average but none the less that represents 100 poor sales. Given he might be guiltless in 15% of them that still leaves a lot of unhappy buyers.

one, why do people deal with them and two, why does ebay let them sell?

Beats me.:rolleyes:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
You have to also look at the "timeline" of all the negative responses.. I bought a car cover from one idiot, who had a feedback of 97%. The car cover arrived but - it was mis-represented. When I went to contact him, i found he had 50% feedback :eek: :eek:

turns out that he sold a bunch of these covers to a lot of people, I got my money back through Paypal, but I'm sure the people that bought by money order never did :(

We all complained to e-bay and had him thrown off... 3 weeks later - a "Different" person was selling the exact same car covers... :( Same price but different address (Within 5 miles of the first) -- yes i reported him - but e-bay said since we couldn't prove it they could do nothing.... A few weeks later - he was gone too...

you really have to be careful......

N

nachoman

True, true, loud music. To be sucessful (as our society defines it) one has to be a liar, a butt kisser, and a back stabber. Ebay caters to people simply wanting to make a buck.

While driving around on christmas eve with my family looking at christmas displays, we drove by several multi million dollar homes. There was road construction along the street, and I joked it was for the new "light rail" they are building. My mom commented that she doubted the people that own those homes would never take "light rail" to work. My sister in law then commented that she doubted these people went to work. Then we all wondered what do the people in those houses do to make their money. they probably arent hard working valuable members of society that make life better for everyone. Many may have made their fortunes by taking the money from the less fortunate.

Back to ebay - remember, many buyers are in the same category. They are greedy, liars, cheaters, and just trying to get a deal. If something is not EXACTLY as they want - they complain. I witnessed an irate man at home depot the other day upset at the store for not having a bag of suitable size to hold what he bought (some kind of large box). He said "what am I supposed to do, carry this out to my car without a bag?" Sheesh. He carried it to the cash register without a bag. And it was only one item.

kevin

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I've always had good luck on eBay. Feedback is important. And I try to only deal with sellers that sell exclusively model railroad items by checking their other items for sale. I've never had a problem.

nachoman said:
Then we all wondered what do the people in those houses do to make their money. they probably arent hard working valuable members of society that make life better for everyone. Many may have made their fortunes by taking the money from the less fortunate.
Ouch! That was vicious... Not the board to get into politics, so I will restrain myself... hard as it is.... trying... must not say....

You all must have been in good Christmas spirit...

Scott

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well I had rotten luck once with Ebay, I don't bother with it myself as my Son has an account and I go through him. I ordered a VHS video from the US knowing the my video recorder can handle both of the different playback situations. It was a film called "The Purple mask" with Tony Curtiss playing the title role. I hadn't seen this film since I was in my teenssign1 (Long way back):D The video arrived but the quality was, to be honest, CRAP almost unwatchable. :curse: To say I was a little upset was an understatement. My Son looked at this guys account only to find that he was selling 100's of the same video (Film) and that if you placed a negative on his account, he would come back and make it out that you were a (not the right words this) rotten person LOL.
So I said forget it because as my Son stated all his negative replys disappeared over a few minutes due to his selling some many at one time. ..

So there you go people, should any member manage to record that film sometime, I would be pleased to buy it.

Cheers

Shamus

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Gil Finn said:
I am speaking of sellers with over 100 negative feed backs? ( I just ran across one.)
one, why do people deal with them and two, why does ebay let them sell?
Beats me.:rolleyes:

I always take a look at the nature of the negatives and pair them with the buyers feedback on that and other purchases. Sometimes it's obvious that that particular sale just didn't go as planned (shipment delayed, etc.) and may not be representative of the seller's nature.

Who knows, maybe there was a snowstorm that week that the buyers were too impatient to take into account?

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
One person can give you 10 negative feed backs on one purchase of 10 items so you need the read and look for a patern if you choose to buy.

It would be easier if you didnt have to track down negative feed backs and could pull them up as a group.

As said some are not deserved at all but where there is smoke there is fire as a rule.

I left a neutrol feed back once as the guy waited two weeks to ship. He left me a negative for it. What can you do?

At least you can rebut the feed back.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Right now there's an On3 Bill's Train Shop EBT #12 on ebay at $400. If I had the extra money, I'd strongly consider it...but I'm leary of buying something from someone whom has no feedback from sales. He appears to be perfectly honest...12 good purchases over the course of the year, but I'd like to see a few smaller sales go well for them before I'd pass over $400+. He appears to be an O27 modeller.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I only shop for brand new stuff, hopefully they say it was never opened, etc...
Also I mostly buy from stores and not just specific things, especially if they have a lot in stock in their stores. I've had nothing but great shipping time and good feedback. (they arent always 100% feedbac, but are in high 90s) There are sometimes rude customers that misunderstand what is being said sometimes and give people a bad rating.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I've had a relatively good experience with feEbay with two or three less than desirable but not bad sales. I'm not buying or selling on them as often, watching a new one called WagglePop to judge its potential as a replacement.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
nachoman said:
While driving around on christmas eve with my family looking at christmas displays, we drove by several multi million dollar homes. There was road construction along the street, and I joked it was for the new "light rail" they are building.
kevin

Kevin, living in Phoenix I can tell you that light rail they are building is a JOKE!