EBay warning... Different!!

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I know I have read a few threads about email that tries to get your Ebay account (phishing)... but the other day I was almost phished!!!

I was looking over some items on EBay itself. I was logged in through My EBay. There was an interesting description of something I was interested in. The seller had over 1500 positive feed backs and it had a link in the body of the ad... click here to see more pictures.... I clicked, and found myself back at the EBay login. I ALMOST LOGGED IN!! Remember, I was ON EBAY at the time. I was looking at an item from a reputable seller...Man!! That would be the end of my good feedback just like it was the end of this fellows feedback I am sure. I am positive the account had been phished or hacked somehow. I had to report it and the item was gone within the hour, but I have no idea hoe many accounts could have been compromised.

The upshot is that even if you are already logged into EBay and think you are safe, you are not. If you are asked to login again, don't! Start over with your own link.

EBay login links should all look something like: http://signin.ebay.com
NOT
http://sign.ebay.num1.uk.com or ANYTHING but the first example should raise your neck hairs and you should get out of there!

Whew!!!

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Good call. There's obviously something in the air. I had two half-believable phishes in my email in the last month, both of which I forwarded to ebay and turned out to be real (really bogus, that is). I almost never get spam, let alone dodgy stuff. Not seen anything as bad as that, though. One has to stay vigilant, obviously.

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I have seen a few of these over the last few months, and you are correct in pointing out the web location. Always make sure it is an eBay site you are on, and it should also have an https:// instead of http:// in the address (s indicating secure connection). Also, the little lock icon in Firefox or IE should be displayed.

When I see these, I immediately report the item to eBay. There is no exact address for this, you just need to click on the Help link and find your way to it. Don't forget to copy the auction id first.

Good catch and a good reminder that the best protection against identity theft is to be vigilant online.

Scott

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I almost got duped for info. Got an email about verifing my billing and ship to address. Somwthing didn't seem right. I went to ebay and found out what to look for in emails from them. The request I got was a phony too. I think ebay does a good job of trying to kee p us safe. There are pelnty of scam artist trying to get people though, must keep ebay on their toes.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I got two asking me to update my Citibank account. I had to ask, "what Citibank account?" I don't have one. What was even more revealing was that when I put the cursor over the link, Firefox showed it to me at the bottom of the screen. It included the four-letter "F" word in the URL. I suspect that there were a few people that didn't do that and that did have a Citibank account, and just responded. So be it...

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Have to ask you "good Samaritans" a question :)

If you ever get spam from a company you never deal with, do you still go to that company's site & report the spam????

I try to when I have the time.. :) I've reported about 4 in the last year.. The worst 2 sites for being spammed are e-bay & paypal :( :(

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
No, for the most part, Thunderbird filters out like 90% of my spam, and I have no idea what Yahoo does, but some still get through there. That's the address that I get these requests to verify data and offers to split tens of millions of dollars. If I were to get spam from a company I didn't deal with, I might contact them, but these other phishing scams obviously don't come from the company they proport to represent. I doubt that they could, or would, do anything about it.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Don I have contacted Ebay directly on their live help line and they did ask that I forward it to their fraud management team, that being said it only seems to be getting worse instead of better. Must be alot more folks jumping on board the scamming wagon EASY money temps them I guess. Pat