Ebay rant

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I guess I live in a different world, I possibly go back to the dark ages of electronics, back when only large corporations could afford to own computers. Yeah, that long ago...:rolleyes: I still prefer brick and mortar and face to face transactions. There's no doubt that when you buy or sell something that way, you know what you're trading for. I suppose I'm a bit gun-shy or too conservative, but how many good transactions does it take to make up for that bad one where you lost money on a sale or got garbage instead of what you thought you had bought?

The few eBay sales I made, I did through a broker, "isolditonebay" has a store just a few miles from my house. They charge around 25%, but they do all the work. Take pictures, make the listing, run the auction, collect the money, do the shipping and take all the risks. It's their PayPal account that is on the line, it's their reputation that gets rated. I suppose that would change if I regularly bought and sold stuff on eBay, but since I don't, I'm happier doing things this way, especially after reading the horror stories about eBay transactions gone wrong. :)

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
jbaakko said:
You're not the only one... I lost my paypal account due to some BS buyers. They still tell me I owe Paypal $200... not paying...

I've run into a few buyers I've dumped neutral feedbacks on because they didn;t read that I do not accept paypal. Then they have the NERVE to explain in an email, how paypal works, and tell me I should get it, for their benifit.
Almost the exact same thing I went through.
I had already transfered the funds out of Paypal into my bank account so they told me I had an overdraft. They sent me the same letter and told me I needed to buy a premium seller account to keep things like this from happening. I never paid them and they locked that account. I used a new e-mail addy and bank account to open another one and I only use it to make payments. I've never received money through it.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
N Gauger said:
About 1/2 the time I get the "Money orders don't need to clear - - i send back the "Unless it's a USPS or Western union - they need to clear..... Even if it IS a USPS or WU money order i hold it for 4 days just to aggravate them - like they aggravate me :) :D :) :D
With some of the scams going on, I don't trust WU very far either. About the only form of payment I will take is a USPS money order.

DaveM

Dec 12, 2006
Dry side of Oregon
www.amayesing.com
Email ebay and list the auction as a dead beat bidder that won't pay. Then relist it and hope you get the bidding to go higher than original, especially if you're already taking a beating on those heads.

BTW, interesting to see another car nut here... me being a newbie here just getting back into HO railroading and a being a rabid volkswagen fan.

cedarcreekrr

Jul 17, 2006
Garrett, IN
Relist The Item. I Only Bid On Items That I Can Use A Us Postal Money Order, I Like Not Using Credit Of Any Kind Or Personal Checks For Ebay Items.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
When I had a e bay account I would only use USPS money orders..That paid off twice when "payment wasn't received" and "Why haven't you sent payment"? BOTH times the money order was cash!!! The second seller sent a extra car for my troubles..The other blame his wife for the "oversight"...I have read of the same problem with Pay Pal.

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
I could be mistaken but I believe there is an option you can select that only allows a bidder with a Paypal account to bid.

I had a similar problem last year. Mostly inexpirienced ebayers or people that make silly assumptions. Honestly the guy likely wants to avoid Ebay fees and just assumed you would too. :)

The best is the international bidders...When my auction mentions I don't ship internationally. :)

Again another feature you can select. Do not allow international bidders.

Also be aware:

The Scam: [SIZE=+1]Fake Money Order[/SIZE]Scenario:
eBay seller-of-expensive widget receives message from successful buyer, asking if seller will overnight express the expensive widget, if buyer quickly sends a money order with extra funds for the express shipment.
The seller agrees. Money order appears quickly. Seller ships the widget immediately after receipt of the MO.
The money order is later found to be fraudulent, and the seller loses both the expensive widget and the money
Protection:
  • Consider accepting ONLY USPS money orders, since they are more difficult to counterfeit.
  • If you accept a NON-USPS money order, call the issuing bank to make sure the document is legitimate.
  • Cash your money order, and ship only after you have the dollars in hand.
I also might mention. Don't simply take it to teller and deposit it and think everything is good. Bank of America recently told me it still takes several days to confirm that a money order is legit.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I despise eBay.

My account was banned because of some crap my ex-wife pulled. I had no transaction involved, or even knowledge what was going on, but because our addresses used to be linked, my eBay and PayPal accounts were suspended for several months. I've recently gotten a new account, and so far things have been okay.

As for the topic, if you listed that the auction was PayPal only, then I wouldn't think you're under obligation to accept any other form of payment. I would contact customer service, forward the emails, and relist your auction.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
65GASSER said:
With a USPS money order, can you cash them at the post office?
You know.... As often as I've used them, I don't know if they would or not. I've always just deposited them in my bank account.

I'm going to have to get them to refund me on one however. I sent $200 to a guy up in Canada for some work he did on my bass. His bank refused to cash it so now he's sending it back to me. Hopefully the post office won't give me a lot of poo about refunding it.

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
We've come to an agreement on a Postal Money order. I've had to return them and they didn't give me any greif at all. Its just too much to relist them, more fees and the wait to get screwed again.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
You can get a USPS money order refunded at the PO apparently, but you can't cash one there.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Cannonball said:
You know.... As often as I've used them, I don't know if they would or not. I've always just deposited them in my bank account.

I'm going to have to get them to refund me on one however. I sent $200 to a guy up in Canada for some work he did on my bass. His bank refused to cash it so now he's sending it back to me. Hopefully the post office won't give me a lot of poo about refunding it.
They shouldn't as long as you have the money order in hand :)

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
jflessne said:
I could be mistaken but I believe there is an option you can select that only allows a bidder with a Paypal account to bid.

I had a similar problem last year. Mostly inexpirienced ebayers or people that make silly assumptions. Honestly the guy likely wants to avoid Ebay fees and just assumed you would too. :)

The best is the international bidders...When my auction mentions I don't ship internationally. :)

Again another feature you can select. Do not allow international bidders.

Also be aware:

The Scam: [SIZE=+1]Fake Money Order[/SIZE]Scenario:
eBay seller-of-expensive widget receives message from successful buyer, asking if seller will overnight express the expensive widget, if buyer quickly sends a money order with extra funds for the express shipment.
The seller agrees. Money order appears quickly. Seller ships the widget immediately after receipt of the MO.
The money order is later found to be fraudulent, and the seller loses both the expensive widget and the money
Protection:
  • Consider accepting ONLY USPS money orders, since they are more difficult to counterfeit.
  • If you accept a NON-USPS money order, call the issuing bank to make sure the document is legitimate.
  • Cash your money order, and ship only after you have the dollars in hand.
I also might mention. Don't simply take it to teller and deposit it and think everything is good. Bank of America recently told me it still takes several days to confirm that a money order is legit.
Check this post - it goes into exact detail.... Exactly as it happened to me :(

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=18255

and USPS and Western union money orders can't be cancelled - - Most banks will make you deposit the money order - then in 7 days when they don't clear - the bank takes the money out of your account... If you "Cash" the money order - the bank takes your money from your account........

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
CCT70 said:
You can get a USPS money order refunded at the PO apparently, but you can't cash one there.
I beg to differ..They will cash their money orders with proper ID.They will not cash any other type of money order or check.

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
Ahh
bit of trouble with a recent
Ebay
purchase. I recently picked up a Badger 200-3 airbrush that the seller mentioned has been used once. Apparently it's only missing the color cup.

Well I got it and it looks like it's been used a few more times than once. Not only that but I discovered the needle is bent at the tip and it's missing the siphon and cup.

Emailed the seller and he writes me...huh I guess ship it back and I'll refund your money. So I messaged back and ask if he will refund my shipping cost for sending it back. Of course he says no. So I guess in the end he gets some money out of it and I'm forced to buy some parts. Is $14 still a good deal?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
brakie said:
I beg to differ..They will cash their money orders with proper ID.They will not cash any other type of money order or check.
I agree, they do. The height of bureaucracy was when I closed a post office box and turned in the key. I was due one dollar refund for the key deposit so the guy made out a money order for a dollar, he said he wasn't allowed to give me the refund in cash. He then handed it to me, and said, "would you like me to cash that for you?".... Duhhhh, I said, "yeah, would you need some ID to do that?"