Ebay Pirate Alert!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by 57townsman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have to side with Steve on this one.
    You were defending the guy, saying "he covered his butt" with his description.
    No matter how the guy words his auction, he is still a pirate.

Russell
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have to side with Steve on this one.
    You were defending the guy, saying "he covered his butt" with his description.
    No matter how the guy words his auction, he is still a pirate.

Russell
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just got a response from ebay here it is with my letter included:

An indivdual has a dvd listed on your site at the following address:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Said DVD contains numerous pirated card models. I designed one of the card models listed on his DVD and am the copyright holder of said model.I made the model freely available on the internet at this address:

http://dpileggispicks.com/will_aldridge_airwolf/index.html Below is a direct link to the instructions for this model and the first 2 paragraphs outline my legal rights to this model and the conditions on which I provide the model:

http://dpileggispicks.com/will_aldridge_airwolf/instructions.pdf

Clearly this indidual is in violation of the terms listed and I request you stop this sale as it is unequivocably illegal.

Sincerly,

Will Aldridge

Dear Will,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to copyright. If you believe that a listing or item posted on eBay infringes your intellectual property rights, the Verified Rights Owner's (VeRO) Program may be able to assist you.

As you may know, eBay does not buy or sell any items. We act only as a venue that helps buyers and sellers to do so. We neither see nor inspectany items that are offered for sale on eBay. However, we recognize that some posted items may infringe certain intellectual property rights. For this reason, we have created the VeRO Program, which enables intellectual property rights owners to identify and request the removal of allegedly infringing listings.

The many benefits of participating in VeRO include: - Direct access to a support team dedicated to addressing rights owners'requests and processing Notices of Claimed Infringement (NOCIs)- The ability to request the removal of listings that infringe your intellectual property rights by using the NOCI form-

The ability to request detailed contact information for sellers who post listings that may infringe your intellectual property rights How to File a NOCI ReportThe first time you file a NOCI, you will need to download, complete, andsubmit the document to eBay by fax. If you need to submit subsequent NOCIs after your initial fax has been processed, you will be able to do so online.

To download a copy of the NOCI form, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/NOCI1.pdf

Please be sure to complete all sections of the form, sign, and fax the NOCI to: eBay Inc.ATTN: VeRO(408) 516-8811

For more information about the VeRO Program, please visit: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-rights-owner.html If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at the following email address: vero@ebay.com. The VeRO program procedures are intended to substantially comply with the requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C., Section 512. To read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, go to:

http://www.qlinks.net/comdocs/uscopyright.htm

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Britta eBay Customer Support

I can kind of understand the need for forms and all that but I provided documentation of my claim and that they insist on doing nothing till the form is filled out kind of torques me.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just got a response from ebay here it is with my letter included:

An indivdual has a dvd listed on your site at the following address:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Said DVD contains numerous pirated card models. I designed one of the card models listed on his DVD and am the copyright holder of said model.I made the model freely available on the internet at this address:

http://dpileggispicks.com/will_aldridge_airwolf/index.html Below is a direct link to the instructions for this model and the first 2 paragraphs outline my legal rights to this model and the conditions on which I provide the model:

http://dpileggispicks.com/will_aldridge_airwolf/instructions.pdf

Clearly this indidual is in violation of the terms listed and I request you stop this sale as it is unequivocably illegal.

Sincerly,

Will Aldridge

Dear Will,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to copyright. If you believe that a listing or item posted on eBay infringes your intellectual property rights, the Verified Rights Owner's (VeRO) Program may be able to assist you.

As you may know, eBay does not buy or sell any items. We act only as a venue that helps buyers and sellers to do so. We neither see nor inspectany items that are offered for sale on eBay. However, we recognize that some posted items may infringe certain intellectual property rights. For this reason, we have created the VeRO Program, which enables intellectual property rights owners to identify and request the removal of allegedly infringing listings.

The many benefits of participating in VeRO include: - Direct access to a support team dedicated to addressing rights owners'requests and processing Notices of Claimed Infringement (NOCIs)- The ability to request the removal of listings that infringe your intellectual property rights by using the NOCI form-

The ability to request detailed contact information for sellers who post listings that may infringe your intellectual property rights How to File a NOCI ReportThe first time you file a NOCI, you will need to download, complete, andsubmit the document to eBay by fax. If you need to submit subsequent NOCIs after your initial fax has been processed, you will be able to do so online.

To download a copy of the NOCI form, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/NOCI1.pdf

Please be sure to complete all sections of the form, sign, and fax the NOCI to: eBay Inc.ATTN: VeRO(408) 516-8811

For more information about the VeRO Program, please visit: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-rights-owner.html If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at the following email address: vero@ebay.com. The VeRO program procedures are intended to substantially comply with the requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C., Section 512. To read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, go to:

http://www.qlinks.net/comdocs/uscopyright.htm

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Britta eBay Customer Support

I can kind of understand the need for forms and all that but I provided documentation of my claim and that they insist on doing nothing till the form is filled out kind of torques me.
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Will,
    This is the standard response Ebay sends to everybody contacting them about such issues. My guess is they didn't even read your letter.......
  6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Will,
    This is the standard response Ebay sends to everybody contacting them about such issues. My guess is they didn't even read your letter.......
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yep, a typical auto responder message.
    They are making it hard for anyone with a copyright to remove the auction.
    I guess, E-Bay is hoping that by the time anyone jumps through all the hoops to get it stopped, the auction will be over and they will get their share of the money from it.
    They are probably also hoping to get you to give up jumping through these hoops and leave them alone.

Russell
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yep, a typical auto responder message.
    They are making it hard for anyone with a copyright to remove the auction.
    I guess, E-Bay is hoping that by the time anyone jumps through all the hoops to get it stopped, the auction will be over and they will get their share of the money from it.
    They are probably also hoping to get you to give up jumping through these hoops and leave them alone.

Russell
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

I have to agree, Russell... This is an attmept by eBay to make it difficult and time consuming to protect your rights that either you won't submit it properly or you will give up. And they use the we "don't buy or sell" anything - like that absolves them of illegal activity occurring on their owned site!!! One other thing, if Will gets them to agree, it seems the seller might just say he will take off Will's model.... I still think that the selling recorded media is the angle - according to eBay's rules, the burden of proof are with the seller... As has been stated before, eBay doesn't care, as long as they get their money. BTW, it was mentioned to contact PayPal also. Unfortunately, eBay owns PayPal... talk about a monopoly!

Chris
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

I have to agree, Russell... This is an attmept by eBay to make it difficult and time consuming to protect your rights that either you won't submit it properly or you will give up. And they use the we "don't buy or sell" anything - like that absolves them of illegal activity occurring on their owned site!!! One other thing, if Will gets them to agree, it seems the seller might just say he will take off Will's model.... I still think that the selling recorded media is the angle - according to eBay's rules, the burden of proof are with the seller... As has been stated before, eBay doesn't care, as long as they get their money. BTW, it was mentioned to contact PayPal also. Unfortunately, eBay owns PayPal... talk about a monopoly!

Chris
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'll place a bet that that's exactly what the guy does too.
    He will just remove Will's picture. I bet the model will still be on the DVD.
    EBay uses the same mumbo jumbo that the seller uses in justifying the sale of pirated goods.
    They still need to be held responsible as they are providing the means for the crooks to move illegal merchandise and they profit from it.

Russell
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'll place a bet that that's exactly what the guy does too.
    He will just remove Will's picture. I bet the model will still be on the DVD.
    EBay uses the same mumbo jumbo that the seller uses in justifying the sale of pirated goods.
    They still need to be held responsible as they are providing the means for the crooks to move illegal merchandise and they profit from it.

Russell
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ebay does not own the credit card companies it deals with though and if they catch wind that ebay is allowing this pay process to do less than legitimate business (with blatant proof) then you will more than likely see Visa or Mastercard suddenly investigating their terms with that service. Especially if someone were to openly complain to have their money refunded and launch an insurance claim against it.

I was informed ... 'laughs' that Paypal is not a part of eBay from the live support.
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ebay does not own the credit card companies it deals with though and if they catch wind that ebay is allowing this pay process to do less than legitimate business (with blatant proof) then you will more than likely see Visa or Mastercard suddenly investigating their terms with that service. Especially if someone were to openly complain to have their money refunded and launch an insurance claim against it.

I was informed ... 'laughs' that Paypal is not a part of eBay from the live support.
  15. shrike

shrike Guest

Hmmmm
    Paypal is organized as a "Bank" in California. This was the result of a series of suits a few years back about their ability to service credit cards and such.
    I imagine that California has more stringent IP laws than most states (movie and recording industry et al)
  16. shrike

shrike Guest

Hmmmm
    Paypal is organized as a "Bank" in California. This was the result of a series of suits a few years back about their ability to service credit cards and such.
    I imagine that California has more stringent IP laws than most states (movie and recording industry et al)
  17. sneaker

sneaker Member

SAYS YOU!

Maybe you should read the entire post before you jump on somebody. Why the hell would I post a link to a similar situation, on Ebay piracy I reported. I had a hand in getting that buyer to remove the models. And when was I called on it?
    Is this your ammunition? This is a very vague and subject to various interpretations. So PARDON ME for not taking the time to watch how I word my posts.

Me thinks you have been burned one to many times and are looking to take it out on someone, and I made an easy mark for you.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt!:mad:

Did you all read what I wrote, or just skim through it? AS far as Ebay is concerned, he has made the knowledge known that the models are freely available. It does not matter if you have a disclaimer on your site, a pirate is a pirate, and will continue to do so until the respective owners complain to ebay that there is a violation. I have been on this forum for a very short time. I have been downloading and collecting paper models for 5 years. I found this place because my father recommended it. I have enjoyed all the threads I have read, and found them most helpful. Why in the hell would I defend an ebay scum bucket scuz ball pirate? :mad:

What is this about REGS vs the NOOB?

I can see why people are getting disgruntled with this forum of late:cry:
  18. sneaker

sneaker Member

SAYS YOU!

Maybe you should read the entire post before you jump on somebody. Why the hell would I post a link to a similar situation, on Ebay piracy I reported. I had a hand in getting that buyer to remove the models. And when was I called on it?
    Is this your ammunition? This is a very vague and subject to various interpretations. So PARDON ME for not taking the time to watch how I word my posts.

Me thinks you have been burned one to many times and are looking to take it out on someone, and I made an easy mark for you.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt!:mad:

Did you all read what I wrote, or just skim through it? AS far as Ebay is concerned, he has made the knowledge known that the models are freely available. It does not matter if you have a disclaimer on your site, a pirate is a pirate, and will continue to do so until the respective owners complain to ebay that there is a violation. I have been on this forum for a very short time. I have been downloading and collecting paper models for 5 years. I found this place because my father recommended it. I have enjoyed all the threads I have read, and found them most helpful. Why in the hell would I defend an ebay scum bucket scuz ball pirate? :mad:

What is this about REGS vs the NOOB?

I can see why people are getting disgruntled with this forum of late:cry:
  19. Maurice

Maurice Member

Sneaker
    Took me literally years of treading firmly to get it to stop. :wink:
  20. Maurice

Maurice Member

Sneaker
    Took me literally years of treading firmly to get it to stop. :wink: