Ebay Pirate Alert!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by 57townsman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. paul a

paul a Member

I just read if you are an authur of one of these models contact him and he will remove it .has anyone try that.
  2. paul a

paul a Member

I just read if you are an authur of one of these models contact him and he will remove it .has anyone try that.
  3. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Here are a couple links for reporting IP infractions to ebay.

This one is for reporting infringement of your IP rights. Only the rights owner can report the offense.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html

This link is specific to recordable media; CD-R, DVD-R, etc. This may be a more effective method of reporting infringement since on the example page it clearly states that compilations of "freeware" and "shareware" programs are prohibited. Again, only the copyright owner may report infringement.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/recordable.html

Hope this helps :mad:

SteveK
  4. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Here are a couple links for reporting IP infractions to ebay.

This one is for reporting infringement of your IP rights. Only the rights owner can report the offense.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html

This link is specific to recordable media; CD-R, DVD-R, etc. This may be a more effective method of reporting infringement since on the example page it clearly states that compilations of "freeware" and "shareware" programs are prohibited. Again, only the copyright owner may report infringement.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/recordable.html

Hope this helps :mad:

SteveK
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

• First of all. These models are released for Free by the artists FROM the artists with the idea that you can download and build them and NOT make money from the artist's efforts.
    • Second. The seller has NO distribution rights whatsoever even if he was giving away DVDs of the models. Yes even if it was free as a handout... he has no business distributing the models without the owner's permission.
    • Last. Selling something burned to a disc is copyright infringment and I can say that the owner's of some of those models who are registered here would say no to this guy operating.

Now put yourself in the place of a model distributor. You spent hours gathering the references to design your model. You spent even a greater amount of time creating that model. You then put that model on your site you paid to have up so that people would download that model ... then someone comes along and saves that file to their PC and burns it to a disc for $30 profit and you don't see one red cent? I'm sorry but no one in their right mind would rest easy with that. No small blurb of text can supercede laws of IP rights.

This guy should be drawn and quartered. What would be a great idea would be to get together all those model makers and go after Ebay once and for all for allowing piracy to run rampant.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

• First of all. These models are released for Free by the artists FROM the artists with the idea that you can download and build them and NOT make money from the artist's efforts.
    • Second. The seller has NO distribution rights whatsoever even if he was giving away DVDs of the models. Yes even if it was free as a handout... he has no business distributing the models without the owner's permission.
    • Last. Selling something burned to a disc is copyright infringment and I can say that the owner's of some of those models who are registered here would say no to this guy operating.

Now put yourself in the place of a model distributor. You spent hours gathering the references to design your model. You spent even a greater amount of time creating that model. You then put that model on your site you paid to have up so that people would download that model ... then someone comes along and saves that file to their PC and burns it to a disc for $30 profit and you don't see one red cent? I'm sorry but no one in their right mind would rest easy with that. No small blurb of text can supercede laws of IP rights.

This guy should be drawn and quartered. What would be a great idea would be to get together all those model makers and go after Ebay once and for all for allowing piracy to run rampant.
  7. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Who is going to take the time to collect a bunch of models, burn the files to a CD and then go to the trouble to sell them on ebay just for fun? Don't tell me the guy is not trying to turn a buck at someone else's expense!:mad:
  8. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Who is going to take the time to collect a bunch of models, burn the files to a CD and then go to the trouble to sell them on ebay just for fun? Don't tell me the guy is not trying to turn a buck at someone else's expense!:mad:
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I haven't even burned my collection to CD yet. And I only need to do it for me. It just ain't as much fun as building, so I definitely see cardholder's (and everyone else's) point
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I haven't even burned my collection to CD yet. And I only need to do it for me. It just ain't as much fun as building, so I definitely see cardholder's (and everyone else's) point
  11. cbg

cbg Member

and then there's this guy. . .

All,

An individual named "braziliancollection" is also offering 4 cd's of forty-plus years worth of Malys "for just 19.99!". . .I've reported him/her twice now only to be politely thanked by an automated ebay reply that they "take copyright infringement very seriously". . .(and then provide the same links that SteveK posted).

I did e-mail MM in Poland as well, but I fear the language barrier may have prevented my alert from being taken seriously. Guess that's all we can do short of boycotting ebay.

cbg
  12. cbg

cbg Member

and then there's this guy. . .

All,

An individual named "braziliancollection" is also offering 4 cd's of forty-plus years worth of Malys "for just 19.99!". . .I've reported him/her twice now only to be politely thanked by an automated ebay reply that they "take copyright infringement very seriously". . .(and then provide the same links that SteveK posted).

I did e-mail MM in Poland as well, but I fear the language barrier may have prevented my alert from being taken seriously. Guess that's all we can do short of boycotting ebay.

cbg
  13. sneaker

sneaker Member

I hope you do not think I am defending his actions, cause I am not. I was playing devil's advocate from the viewpoint of Evilbay. I have experience both as a buyer and seller on evilbay, and I can tell you they don't much give a crap!

Also I had a hand (with help from others on this forum) nag a guy selling paper models on evilbay until he removed them. So I do not need to put myself in any model distributor's place. I am fully aware of what this guy is doing, I was merely pointing out that he made a disclaimer, as lame as it is, it will be good enough for evilbay.

From this point on, there are 2 ways to go about this, everyone who reads this thread can go to evilbay, look this guy up and send him an email(deluge), or I can make a purchase of his dvd (of course backing out of the transaction) and leave a negative mark on his feedback warning potential buyers, of course I would take a hit on my feedback as well(100% positive). Unless of course this can be done from a guest account.
  14. sneaker

sneaker Member

I hope you do not think I am defending his actions, cause I am not. I was playing devil's advocate from the viewpoint of Evilbay. I have experience both as a buyer and seller on evilbay, and I can tell you they don't much give a crap!

Also I had a hand (with help from others on this forum) nag a guy selling paper models on evilbay until he removed them. So I do not need to put myself in any model distributor's place. I am fully aware of what this guy is doing, I was merely pointing out that he made a disclaimer, as lame as it is, it will be good enough for evilbay.

From this point on, there are 2 ways to go about this, everyone who reads this thread can go to evilbay, look this guy up and send him an email(deluge), or I can make a purchase of his dvd (of course backing out of the transaction) and leave a negative mark on his feedback warning potential buyers, of course I would take a hit on my feedback as well(100% positive). Unless of course this can be done from a guest account.
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I would suggest that we all report the auctions to Ebay. They may (or may not) pull the auctions as they are in breach of copy right and clearly in breach of Ebay rules.

I have reported copyright breaches to Ebay in the past and the auctions have been withdrawn, although this was a couple of years ago.
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I would suggest that we all report the auctions to Ebay. They may (or may not) pull the auctions as they are in breach of copy right and clearly in breach of Ebay rules.

I have reported copyright breaches to Ebay in the past and the auctions have been withdrawn, although this was a couple of years ago.
  17. SteveM

SteveM Member

humbug
  18. SteveM

SteveM Member

humbug
  19. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Legal Letter?

I've heard that that an official cease and desist letter from a "lawyer":twisted: can work immediate wonders.

Terry
  20. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Legal Letter?

I've heard that that an official cease and desist letter from a "lawyer":twisted: can work immediate wonders.

Terry