Ebay Pirate Alert!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by 57townsman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Everyone,

A new pirate has appeared on ebay with the user name sullyman22. He currently has 8 auctions going for a zillion models. Most of the models are freely available on the net BUT I see dozens from designers here. If you want to enforce your copyright this is the time! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SteveK
  2. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Everyone,

A new pirate has appeared on ebay with the user name sullyman22. He currently has 8 auctions going for a zillion models. Most of the models are freely available on the net BUT I see dozens from designers here. If you want to enforce your copyright this is the time! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SteveK
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The saddest part of this, outside of copywright violations, is the poor buyer that ends up wasting their money on a free product (if they even get it)
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The saddest part of this, outside of copywright violations, is the poor buyer that ends up wasting their money on a free product (if they even get it)
  5. imavingalaughaswell

imavingalaughaswell Member

reported

i have recently joined ebay

and i found the report button!!!!!!
  6. imavingalaughaswell

imavingalaughaswell Member

reported

i have recently joined ebay

and i found the report button!!!!!!
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

OK...there's a LOT of models by guys that frequent this board....I do have one question...in his SciFi DVD, there's a model on the bottom center that looks like the Interstellar Queen from the TTA thread....or am I just seeing things?
  8. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

OK...there's a LOT of models by guys that frequent this board....I do have one question...in his SciFi DVD, there's a model on the bottom center that looks like the Interstellar Queen from the TTA thread....or am I just seeing things?
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

There are A LOT of models from members right on this very board.

Shut em down. Personally ... I'd contact a lawyer.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

There are A LOT of models from members right on this very board.

Shut em down. Personally ... I'd contact a lawyer.
  11. sneaker

sneaker Member

Uh! not to step on anyones toes, but the seller does state in his description that the models are freely available on the web. He is selling the time and effort searching, collection, and putting them out on a dvd or cd-roms. I do not condone piracy, but he states flat out that they are available freely on the web. He should however ask for permisson from each and every author if it is ok to publish/package their respected works on a collection dvd-cd. And ask for permission to use the Author's photos. I am only pointing out what is in the description because, pretty much that covers his butt. You are basically paying someone to collect and burn paper models onto a medium for your own personal use. Anyone else have any insight to this kind of situation? :confused:

David
  12. sneaker

sneaker Member

Uh! not to step on anyones toes, but the seller does state in his description that the models are freely available on the web. He is selling the time and effort searching, collection, and putting them out on a dvd or cd-roms. I do not condone piracy, but he states flat out that they are available freely on the web. He should however ask for permisson from each and every author if it is ok to publish/package their respected works on a collection dvd-cd. And ask for permission to use the Author's photos. I am only pointing out what is in the description because, pretty much that covers his butt. You are basically paying someone to collect and burn paper models onto a medium for your own personal use. Anyone else have any insight to this kind of situation? :confused:

David
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Very thin line in my opinion. A lot of the models I have collected specifically state they can not be sold. Those are definitely covered, again in my non-lawyer opinion.

I can sort of understand what the seller is probably thinking "I'm not seeling the models, but the medium". This really doesn't sit right with me, though. It's like re-typing a book, and then selling the document. It's still ditributing intellectual property without the author's permission.

Too bad we don't have any lawyers on the forum....
  14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Very thin line in my opinion. A lot of the models I have collected specifically state they can not be sold. Those are definitely covered, again in my non-lawyer opinion.

I can sort of understand what the seller is probably thinking "I'm not seeling the models, but the medium". This really doesn't sit right with me, though. It's like re-typing a book, and then selling the document. It's still ditributing intellectual property without the author's permission.

Too bad we don't have any lawyers on the forum....
  15. sneaker

sneaker Member

Oh! I am in full agreement with you. I have gone after sellers trying to sell card models before (see http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6560 ). I just wanted to point out what was in the seller's description, as this does tend to be a sticky area!

(yeah! where are the lawyers, gotta be one somewhere around here)
  16. sneaker

sneaker Member

Oh! I am in full agreement with you. I have gone after sellers trying to sell card models before (see http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6560 ). I just wanted to point out what was in the seller's description, as this does tend to be a sticky area!

(yeah! where are the lawyers, gotta be one somewhere around here)
  17. paul a

paul a Member

I remember no duplacating or photo copying with out the permission of the author. for profit with out concent.I think that makes burning for profit illgeal.
  18. paul a

paul a Member

I remember no duplacating or photo copying with out the permission of the author. for profit with out concent.I think that makes burning for profit illgeal.
  19. paul a

paul a Member

they can not sell the medium but you can sell the research on how to get there.so he is in the wrong. If on the other hand he sold a disc on how to obtain this information just the web sites. not the models this is leagel.like a yellow book to the model sights.this way he or she would only be selling the research and not the produce.
  20. paul a

paul a Member

they can not sell the medium but you can sell the research on how to get there.so he is in the wrong. If on the other hand he sold a disc on how to obtain this information just the web sites. not the models this is leagel.like a yellow book to the model sights.this way he or she would only be selling the research and not the produce.