Ebay auction "snipers" get my goat

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by hiscopilot, Jan 21, 2007.

1. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I mean really, why do people even have listings for more than a few hours? People jump in and bid the last minute and... just... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have been watching some super cheap switchers because I am going to modify them and make Thomas characters out of them. I bid a few more dollars than I would have rather paid because I knew someone was going to bid on them. Then they bid, bid, and bid again until they bid 50 cents higher than what I bid.

I don't have the time to sit on the computer and watch every auction to its end. I only have a minute here and a minute there because chasing around a 4 year old is a full full full time job. How can I get something cheap if I can't stalk EBay?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just needed to vent!

Thanks for listening.
  2. nolatron

nolatron Member

That's why you download a Ebay sniper application. ;)

I use this one on my mac:

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/

It's free, works great, and they have windows version.
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

Fortunately I have noticed a few sellers who have anti-sniper policies...nabbed a Walthers SW1 already painted in my roadname!
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

How can you enforce an anti-sniping policy? Is there some sort of option or do you have to manually check each auction to see when each bid was made compared to the time it ended?
  5. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Last minute "sniping" is the ONLY way I will bid on ebay. I consider it a little foolish to bid up the price you'll have to pay to get an item. I will place one bid and one bid only. That will be a proxy bid with my highest offer included. I have not used the auto bid programs, but might look into it. I make sure my PC is synced to ebay time to the second and bid within the last 30 seconds (closer if I'm feeling brave). This may or may not be the best way, I just don't know any better!
  6. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I mean really, why do people even have listings for more than a few hours? People jump in and bid the last minute and... just... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

So that they get more exposure. I never list for less than ten days.

I have been watching some super cheap switchers because I am going to modify them and make Thomas characters out of them. I bid a few more dollars than I would have rather paid because I knew someone was going to bid on them. Then they bid, bid, and bid again until they bid 50 cents higher than what I bid.

They aren't really super cheap. They just seem that way because no one has bid their true worth yet.

Hisco, there is absolutely no reason you should be angry; you simply lost an autction by being out bid. Nor is there any reason to have to spend any time watching an auction. Simply choose one of two methods:

1. Snipe yourself. You will have to learn how, but it is really simple, and you don't need any software to do it. You only have to be online for a few minutes at the close of the auction, or you can get software that will do it for you, as someone else mentioned.

2. Decide what the maximum you want to pay for item is up front, then bid that amount and go away. EBay will automatically bid incrementally up to that amount for you, but won't bid any higher than neccessary. At the end of the auction, come back and see if you won, and if so, how much you actually won the item for. Can you be sniped? Sure but most people who snipe are trying to get a great deal. If you bid a fair price, or if the item is low demand, then you stand a good chance of getting it. If you don't, then you have been out bid. It happens,

That's all there is to it. :thumb:

Number two is the easiest. Number one is slightly, but only slightly more productive. Anything else is a waste of time.
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Torpedo is exactly right, IMO!!
  8. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

I have done five seconds and gotten away with it. :D

When I do 30 seconds, I often get out-sniped. :cry::curse: :cry:<<< at myself for not waiting. :)
  9. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

That's Ebay for you. and to a certain extent, that's how auctions in general operate.
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

My Ebay policy? I just try to be nice when I do it....:thumb:

Attached Files:

11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

sign1 I love that pic Shay :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

while the follish mouse goes for the cheese trap, the hunter carfully aims at it's prey.....sign1 :D sign1 :D :D sign1
  13. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

I guess I remember when Ebay wasnt like that. I remember when it would happen occasionally, but it was more like an auction than a game.

I guess I am frustrated...

And yes I dont have to watch auctions, yes I can snipe myself and I know how to do it.

Yes I can enter my max bid

yes I know all of that

and yes they are super cheap- they were only bid 50 cents over what I bid

And yes I know people really need the exposure thats why auctions

Really I know all of these things, I was just venting and using my most recent sniping experience as an example/
  14. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I've been doing Ebay for 6 years now and I can't remember when it ever wasn't like that:D Those early lessons taught me how to bid the way I do now (though a little credit needs to go to my cable modem:thumb: ). Plus, I go to Ebay for the long lost and unloved toys now. Because I have enough experience with repairs, I get to bid on a wider range of items, many of them rejected for some minor flaw. The things you're bidding on attract a wider audience and hence the bigger price tag.

"Mr. Fluffy", my Ebay sniper kitty, promises never to knowingly snipe you...:thumb:
  15. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I'm a sniper. I make no bones about it. While I don't use a program, I'll hang out in the last few minutes of an auction waiting until the last few seconds before placing my max bid on the target. (so to speak). Strong typing skills help. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I choke and it doesn't. What cracks me up is the fools who start a bidding war when an auction still has a few days left. They keep jacking up the price until, alas, there is no longer any real "savings". I don't get it really.

It also helps to plan ahead...choose your prey carefully and know when to strike!
  16. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I agree with you 100%. The first time I ever bid on ebay, I lost AND learned about the sniper game. The second time I resorted to being a sniper. After that, I was so frusturated with the way the game was played that I have never bid on anything on ebay ever again. It's like life.... there's the way it should be... and then there's the way it really is. They can have it. I'll find my deals elsewhere thank you very much.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i guess im a sniper as i wait to the end to bid, but even then i get out bid ALOT. but then when you got people bidding 125.00 over what an mint original conditon engine is worth, when its an repaint or "restore" your get out bid real easy.

only time i bid with more then a few min left is if i wont be home then it ends. then i will bid my max and hope i get it.
  18. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I’m a cut throat sniper too unless I really want something then I set a mark that I know is higher than most people would ever want to pay.

In over six years I don’t think I ever lost an auction except when I choose not to go higher than a set price. When it would reach that point I no longer wanted it.

What I have found is this is about the worse time to bid on train stuff. Most of the interesting things go far higher than they should and shipping prices are at a high making the price even higher.

Keep bidding you will win a few but I would also suggest you set your maximum bid that way you only loose something when it goes over your set price you are willing to pay.

However when all else fails - VENT!!!!!!!!!!! :) ;) :) :)

I do that often too. :) :) :)

[FONT=&quot]I think the biggest crime is the shipping and handling charges everyone is willing to pay[/FONT]
  19. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Well i always wate until the last 40 sec of the aution then place my high bid if i win i win if i dont O well i move on. I win a lot of them and lose a lot of them also. But i have fun doing it.
  20. railohio

railohio Active Member

I don't see why you need to babysit an auction. Put in the highest amount you're willing to pay and then walk away. If someone outbids you by fifty cents, be it a day or a second before the end of the auction, you'll know you should've bid more.