easy prickly pear cactus

N

nachoman

I need large quantities of HO scale prickly pear cactus for my layout. I figue I will need 50-100 for my 3'x6' layout. That means, they need to be quick and inexpensive to make. I can't claim credit for this idea, but I think it is worthwile to pass along here. Here are the raw materials: Twist ties from the produce section of the supermarket. These need to be the wider paper type and not the narrower waxy type supplied with garbage bags. Also, some needle nose pliers, wire cutters, some green paint, and some scalloped edge scissors, usually sold with scrapbooking suppplies at craft stores. I paid about 3 bucks for the paint and scissors combined. Here, I have already cut the twist ties in half using the wire cutters.

Attachments

• cactus1.jpg
    cactus1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 54
N

nachoman

cactus

next, use the scalloped scissors to cut along both sides of the twist ties. The finished tie will now look like a string of beads. Cut 3 ties and bend into V shapes. nest the bent ties together as shown.

Attachments

• cactus2.jpg
    cactus2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 51
  • cactus3.jpg
    cactus3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 50
N

nachoman

cactus

grip the bundle of ties with the pliers, and twist the lower 1/4" together with your fingers. Next, spread out the "branches".

Attachments

• cactus4.jpg
    cactus4.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 46
N

nachoman

all of the pads on a pricly pear are never alligned in the same plane - they are at angles to one another. I twist the branches between the segments using needlenose pliers. Next, arrange the branches in such a way they look crooked and natural. This is like bending the branches on a tree armature to make them look more natural.

Attachments

• cactus5.jpg
    cactus5.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 44
N

nachoman

cactus

next, i temporarily plant the cactus in a block of styrofoam and brush paint.

Attachments

• cactus6.jpg
    cactus6.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47
N

nachoman

finally

finally, plant the cactus on your layout. I have styrofoam scenery and poke holes with a nail. Here are a few photos. Unfortunately, the camera would not focus on the cactus very well with other stuff in the image.

kevin

Attachments

• cactus7.jpg
    cactus7.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 42
  • cactus9.jpg
    cactus9.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 46
  • cactus11.jpg
    cactus11.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45

Stephenr216

Dec 13, 2004
Those look great! I didn't plan on having any cacti on my layout, but since I'm modeling Texas, I can just stick a couple whereever I want and they'll fit right in. Thanks for the info.

-Stephen

stump7

May 15, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
kevin
Thanks a lot for tip on the technique and the ilustrated tutorial. I will be needing prickly pear plants later this winter when I get ready to do some planting. I'm still on basic landforms at this point.
Stump7

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I make my prickly pears out of plastic party hearts.

cactus_promo.jpg

I have a "what I did" at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/scenery/cactus/

Thank you if you visit
Harold