EASY FOUNDATIONS & WALLS ! (dial up pic. warning)

stripes

Here I am presenting an easy method for creating foundations for structures, culverts, retaining walls and almost anything else that you can imagine, that utilizes bricks or blocks. Starting with a
12” X 12”X 1/8th. Linoleum floor tile that is available at most Home Depots, Lowes, Rona, etc…
Measure the tile and mark it with a line in the center. (see picture #1)

stucco004.jpg

Using a sharp utility knife and a square, score the tile on your line. (See picture #2)

stucco008.jpg

Now lay the tile on the edge of a table or work bench with your line right at the ledge and gently press down on one side while holding the other side securely on the table. You should end up with
2 = 6"X 12" Pieces. (See picture #3)

stucco009.jpg

Using a Carpenters square you will score the tile across the width every ¼” (See pictures #4 & #5)
stucco010.jpg

stucco011.jpg

You will then score the tile every ½” length wise. When you are finished, place the tile in a vice at the scored lines as shown (See picture #6) and gently snap the tile at each line.

stucco013.jpg

When you are finished you will have a nice pile of ¼”X ½”X 1/8th.” blocks! (See picture #7 )

stucco017.jpg

Hope that is useful ! If you would like, I will continue with the tutorial showing how to clean the blocks up and glue them into a foundation.

If there is an interest I will create a pdf and have it as a free download on my site (which should be live next week!
http://www.ourpricesareright.com/

doctorwayne

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, David, or rain on your parade, (I'm the guy that works with lead) :rolleyes::p but that tile looks suspiciously like a vinyl-asbestos tile. Of course they seldom call them that anymore, but I bought some for my basement and was told that they still use asbestos in these tiles. I don't know how much dust is released when you cut them (I used tin snips), but I thought that you should be aware of this. :-D

Wayne

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
All the 12 X 12 we use are Vinyl Composition tiles.... The old 8 X 8's are all asbestos... The Pattern is a older one, but not that old..

stripes

Safe!

The tile was bought new last August at a Rona Home Center. I do not believe there is any asbestos in them, but I honestly can not say that for sure.
I have even had my 8 yr. old grandson help me cut them so I certainly hope not!
Anyway there is some debris when cutting, but no dust to speak of! I will finish the tutorial today or tomorrow at latest!

doctorwayne

Well, I can't say for sure if there is asbestos in them, but I was told at the flooring supplier that the "composition" is asbestos. I had commented that they looked very similar to the older 8"x8" type and specifically asked if they were the same material. Mine are also the 12"x12" and have a similar pattern. They're very durable and perfect for sticking to a concrete floor. I didn't hesitate to buy the tiles, as they were the best choice for the work required.
Many people panic when they hear that something contains asbestos or lead, but both of these materials are perfectly safe when properly handled. I mentioned this merely to apprise you of the possibility.

Wayne

stripes

Completed Tutorial

I have finished the tutorial, but rather than take up lots of space with pictures , etc... I have put it into a PDF download. I hope this is of help!

It can also be found on my site, if you would prefer:
Model RR. Links

Attachments

• Microsoft_Word_-_EASY_FOUNDATIONS_AND_WALLS2.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 29
Nice trick for the larger scales. (A bit tough to make N scale bricks, I'll bet.)

BTW, no vinyl-asbestos tiles have been manufactured since 1982.

Wayne

stripes

I am not an N scaler, but I know someone who is! LOL.
Warren in New Zeland made a block foundation for his N Scale Engine House.
TestBlocks017a.jpg

doctorwayne

Just to clarify an earlier post, I recently spoke to a flooring company that assured me that these "vinyl-composition" tiles contain no asbestos. This conflicts with information that I received from another company when I purchased similar tiles, so I, personally, remain skeptical. My caveat was stated out of genuine concern, and not at all intended to be alarmist.

Wayne

stripes

Not a problem!

Not a problem! I promise not to snort, chew, or otherwise use them like tic tac`s! :eek:

Sorry Wayne! Just had to be a smart a _ _

In all fairness though! Guys please be careful and wear a dust mask while cutting and cleaning the blocks. I don`t know for sure whats in them either so like anything else please be careful.