I am going to buy some toggle switches for my n scale switches. Do I need:
SPDT ON/ON
or
SPDT ON/OFF/ON?

V

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
??

To make my switches (which have 3 wires) move back and forth? I was using those little black square boxes that you slide and push, but they are annoying.

V

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Get the On/Off/ON. Never keep the switches to the on side or it will burnout the coils in the swithces. Just touch them to the on then immediately to off. I don't like them for Atlas switches as it is to easy to accidently turn one on and that ends the switch coils. That is why Atlas has the push buttons.

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
Ok

Ok , now you really confused me. Why would I need the Double pull Double Center(Six leads!) if I only have 3 wires? What does every here use?

V

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Sorry for the confusion. :eek:ops:
I mentioned both types as there are two systems of wiring for your layout. Three is you want accessories or lighting.

1. track block wiring - DP-DT-CO
2. turnout switching - SP-DT-CO
3. accessories/lights - SP-ST

Sorry again. :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
V: Very important if you use them for switches is that it be momentary and center off. If the switch is left on for a length of time, the switch motor will heat up and do nasty things like catch fire.
(Just had a discussion on this on the Model railroader forum).
Use whichever of the DPDT/SPDT switches you can get and is cheaper. Momentaries are not always easy to find; 2 pushbuttons will do the job.

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi All: I saw this supplier recommended on one of the posts here. The switch I have seen recommended is the dpdt (on) off (on) where you flip the switch up or down and it pops back to the center position when you release it. So don't hole it on long, just flick it. These switches are only $1.20 for 10 or more and if you have an empire, they are under a dollar.
dwight77
www.web-tronics.com/general-supplies-for-electronics-switches-miniature-toggle-switches-dpdt.html

trans_1x1.gif
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Switching Positions: (ON) OFF (ON) (8012A)
trans_1x1.gif
()=momentary contact
trans_1x1.gif

8012A
trans_1x1.gif
1+$1.44ea.10+$1.20ea.100+$0.95ea.
[/FONT]

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi All: Here is another possibility from the same company I listing above. The advantage of the push buttons is they are cheaper and you can locate them at the end of your turnout diagram either on the main or the off shoot. Then when you push the switch, you can push direction you are going and not have to remember if up is straight or curved. They also come in either black or red so you can use black for the main and red for the turn or vice versa. Uss the normally off momentary on style.

trans_1x1.gif
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Push Button Switches
trans_1x1.gif

Switching Positions: OFF (ON); RED.
Switching Positions: ON (OFF); RED.
Switching Positions: OFF (ON); BLACK.
Switching Positions: ON (OFF); BLACK.
[/FONT]

trans_1x1.gif
webtronics_1883_51721540

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
R18-29A RED
trans_1x1.gif
1+$0.35ea.10+$0.32ea.100+$0.24ea.
[/FONT]

webmaster

Feb 17, 2006
Surrey, UK
www.budgetwebsiteservices.co.uk
All of the above advice is presuming that your using an electro magnetic point motor.
If you are using something similar to a Tortoise which is a slow, permanant live stall motor then you want the ON|ON switch.

I apologise for my original post, I didn't get the second switches LOL we call them points.

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
Help!!!

You know what, I used to think I was a pretty smart guy.I went ahead and bought 6 SPDT switches. So, like my switches, this item has 3 leads coming out of it. My switches have 3 wires coming out of them. Great. Except where does it get the power from?!?!?!
I mean the little switch boxes that came with the switches had a slide push button, and 2 leads on the side.

HELP!!!!

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
You'll have two leads from your power supply, + and -.
Wire all the black wires from the switch machines together, and hook them to the - side.
The + side from the supply will go to the center lug of each (electrical) switch, and the two remaining wires (red and green?) from each switch machine will attach to the other lugs of the toggle switch.

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
What??

Guys, please listen.
I have a bachmann remote left handed turnout. It has three wires coming out of it that usually go to slide switch( you slide it left and right and push down to make the switch acitvate) It gets its power from the accessory lines on my power pack. So now I bought these SPDT toggle mommentum switches. It has three leads on it . How do i wire and power it so that when I throw the momentum toggle switch, the bachmann turnout activate?

V
PS pete, that sounds like 4 wires, and I am NOT wiring motors or anything like that, just one simple turnout.