Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL-1aCbs wndw#2.jpg ASL-1a Caboose# 218.jpg caboose stuff!!!!

I went down into my garage, found my stash of Styrene scraps, and brought some up to start rebuilding some smaller bay windows on my boxcar caboose. I also used my hand nibbler to make the side doors both wider and taller. I have one of the bay windows 2/3rds done, I still need to do the roof of the bay window which will be tricky.

This is a hard rebuild, as much of the rickety charm of this caboose's previous incarnation was due to poor craftsmanship, which can occasionally make an interesting model.

Speaking of i just uncovered another caboose. #218 is a brass model, which was imported by Northwest Short line back in the !970's . It was their first attempt to use a Korean manufacturer instead of the Japanese firms they had worked with previously. The model that was delivered was not up to their standards. They did not want to have the NWSL brand sullied by a poor quality model, so they sold it under the brand Far east distributors, or FED, which they later used to sell the $38.00 Hon3 4-4-0 and 2-6-0's that had horrible electrical pick up problems, and were universally panned. I have rebuilt two of them, with better electrical pick up they run well, and with a replacement motor they are fantastic. I wish I had picked up five of each when they were first offered , had I done so My RR would probably have a lot more narrow gauge. See the HOn3 engine shops thread in the narrow gauge section.

In any case here are photos of the beginning of the new bay window. the details are obscured as the white styrene doesn't have enough contrast to show the scribed details. Much of the charm of the last version came from the difficulty of attaching wood pieces to plastic. many of the components moved as the glue dried, which somehow came out looking like sagging due to age.

so here is a picture of the first step in the new bay window, and a photo of the Infamous FED disaster series caboose, had I not repainted it, and discarded the original box; this severely ugly caboose would be a valuable collector's item.

check out the circular logo, my old bent river route logo. I used typing correction paper. that I would put on the side of the car, and then trace my logo over it. i'd shoot it with dulcote to protect the design.

Note the number. in the dark ages each of my cabooses was assigned to a particular crew, as was the locomotives. locomotive numbers are two digits. The caboose assigned to that locomotive/crew carried a three digit number starting with a 2, indicating it was a caboose, followed by the locomotive number.. the disaster series caboose is made out of very thick brass, and is really heavy. It was assigned to #18 a two truck PFM Shay, which was the only locomotive I had at that time that had enough extra pulling power to tote this heavy, ugly piece of **** around. the caboose did not come with trucks. i put a very rare set of central valley fox trucks on it. in 46 years of modeling I have never seen another pair.

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL_1A  CABS  RDY T PNT _1A.jpg caboose ready for the paint shops

This caboose rebuild is ready for the body to go to the paint shops. the frame will need some work, as I need to hunt and see if I can find a decent set of axles that will fit the wood frame freight trucks, as the modern Mantua 1860 models come with horrible wheelsets. This one has axles salvaged from a 35 year old mantua truck, which is somewhat beter, but has a magnetic axle, so it won't do for my RR. worst case senario, I will have to replace the trucks, which would be sad, as I like the look of these. I also have to get couplers on it, but I'll wait till I have the trucks squared way so I don't have to revisit the coupler height.

Most of my Cabeese are painted red, but I do have one that retains a previously used paint scheme, and is tan like most of my freight cars. Since this crummy used to be a freight car I may paint it in the tan scheme, if I paint it red it might look to normal.

To get the detail to show on the white styrene sections I had to photograph without my flash, and then use graphic converter to lighten it up some, hence the weird looking photo. I replaced the homemade doors with some Tichy train group doors .

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL-1a Cab primed.jpg I have hit the boxcar caboose body with simultaneous passes of black and dark grey to give me the priming needed before had painting. I can dry brush either the standard red, or the alternate tan on this base lightly, and come up with a heavily weathered look for this ragged caboose.

now that the white has been covered up, you can begin to see detail around the new , less extravagant, bay windows

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASLA_1A TAN CABEEESE.jpg color choice

I went with the tan. no way to exactly match paint from a 32 year old paint job, so this might need some touch up.

The old silver streak caboose, which someone else built, shows some red under the tan in this photo

That is brought out by the flash, you can't see it in normal light.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL 1-A CAB W NEW  TRKS.jpg replacement trucks

I exhausted my supply of wheel sets trying to find a decent set whose axles would fit the Wood beam trucks from the original 1860's Mantua Boxcar The only ones I found that would roll freely were from 40 year old Mantua trucks, and they had magnetic axles , and thus were not suitable for my RR where I use magnetic uncoupling.

I had to replace the trucks. I thought I'd have to go to archbars, but I found in my car parts several pair of MDC wood beam passenger trucks from shorty overton cars that I had converted to HON3 passenger cars.

The original Manuta woodbeams trucks snapped in, so I had to remove the body weight to get access to the top of the truck mounting hole. I then glued a scrap of styrene over the hole so I could drill a hole through the scrap to retain a kingpin screw.

with the trucks in place I glued another scrap of styrene to the bottom of the frame to give me a level spot, and glued a pair of KDs in place. tests using a Tichy Train group ore car shows the couplers are very slightly high, so I need to file a frog hair off of the truck bolsters to get the cabin just right.

I need to paint the trucks, and do some more paint work on the body, which is just too ugly. I need to add some grays to fade the color out some.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL caboose  shops  12 31 12.jpg ASL Frost  Giant.jpg The boxcar caboose is acceptable now, and I have repainted my shortened Mantua 1860's combine, which was painted before it was shortened, so some of the cut lines showed. I have also put together and painted o the last of three cabeese I picked up at severe discount. One I painted and lettered for the Je Patterson coal and Lumber company at the club, and the other I have painted for my Marietta and north Georgia interchange, but have not yet lettered. it is temporarily @ the club.

I need more cabeese, and so I am considering picking up more Mantua 1860 combines. I may also want to add another passenger train if I do my rebuild, and using the 1860 mantua cars might be interesting.

My son is home for the holidays, some of his friends are getting into wargaming with miniatures, and while I was demonstrating some painting techniques I painted up this frost giant for him

Last edited:

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Nice

Your cabeese look very nice. The "frosty" guy is perfect for this time of year. He needs to get indoors and sit by your wood fire a bit.......like your smart comfy dogs are doing in the other post.

Tom

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Asl Caboose  #9.jpg
Your cabeese look very nice. The "frosty" guy is perfect for this time of year. He needs to get indoors and sit by your wood fire a bit.......like your smart comfy dogs are doing in the other post.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I was very pleased with the frost giant. It was something that I had had for years, I repainted him to show Forrester some of my old tricks, and He came out spectacular, Forrester was thrilled when I gave him the giant.

And Tom, check your gaming mythology, You don't want to invite Frost Giants over to your place. they are reputably ill mannered and destructive.

On the caboose front, I now have 8 functional cabeese, thanks to the inspiration provided by Tyler. one of them doesn't like my current RR, but should not have problems on my planned RR. Looking at my RR rebuild plans, I will have five locations that will require a full time switch engine, Crooked creek- the Sawmill town, Montgomery Furnace- iron furnaces, Flea Creek Camp- a big logging camp. Harlow, TN. My big city with a Southern Railway interchange, and Ridgemont, where the log and iron ore will get transferred from the narrow gauge.

State Line is so simple. in the past it has shared a switcher with Ridgemont, which is currently adjacent to it. in the new plan, there will be considerable distance between the two. there is a turntable at Rigemont with a few leads for standard gauge engines, so I could keep a switcher there, but there is only the M & M G interchange there, and it will be a place for trains to originate, so I may have to do without a switcher there, unless I can make one of my M & N G standard gauge engines run well enough to put into service as a switcher.

So I need at least five cabooses for switch engine crews. I was thinking 10 total would do the trick, but only if I can get several more combines. of course I could split the difference and build several more combine cabeese like # 215. Also I need to decide if I'll assign a specific caboose to a particular locomotive crew. I may do that, at least with my switching engine crews. this will require renumbering all my cabooses, but what the heck.

I am getting ready to build another caboose. this uses the first of two shells that I believe came from an MDC 3 pack kitbash kit for work train cars . I have already have converted one car from this set into an HOn3 baggage car. the remaining car will be another side door caboose. The one in the photo, my next project; will have a section of wall cur out between the side door and the second window, and will get a bay window, similar to my boxcar caboose. most likely it will be assigned to a locomotive in switch engine service. The jankier the caboose, the more likely it will be in switch engine service.

Thanks Tyler for the caboose inspiration!

on other fronts I have measured my roll top desk, and decided on the dimensions for my next control panel. I had wondered how to get the wires out of the desk, which is a big wood box, but since it was designed as a computer desk back in the day, when monitors were tiny, it has a ventilation hole in the back. there is a screen in it, and i can either run individual wires through the holes, or try to find a way to remove and preserve the grating. In any case I'm planning on the rebuild. short term home train projects, other than the caboose project, include building the next control panel, and clearing out the main aisle, cleaning tracks in Crooked creek, so I can use crooked creek as the most awesomest switching layout on the planet. Mack, tom and I have done this. if you have two guys working incoming trains, you can make the Crooked creek switch crew very busy.

Last edited:

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Bill,

I think I've met that ice giant before, he's the ******* who threw my truck in the ditch seven years ago. Maybe it was his cousin...

You're welcome on the motivation, but I should be thanking you for that. If you wouldn't have resurrected your old bay window caboose then who knows what I'd be up to. I do know that after my caboose adventure is done with I'll have to start working on motive power, which will be probably slow due to the cost of sound decoders. DC testing can only go so far before I'll need to see how it behaves on the DCC.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL next caboose #2.jpg
Bill,
. . . . . . . . . . . .
You're welcome on the motivation, but I should be thanking you for that. If you wouldn't have resurrected your old bay window caboose then who knows what I'd be up to. I do know that after my caboose adventure is done with I'll have to start working on motive power, which will be probably slow due to the cost of sound decoders. DC testing can only go so far before I'll need to see how it behaves on the DCC.

Tyler

Circular inspiration is a good thing. Dr Tom and I have gone through too many cycles of that in the last 25 years
to even think about counting. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that time span, but our little girls were about 4 when we started our collaboration, and they ain't little girls no mo.

I have most of the pieces on hand to do two more Cabeese. I have the wall hole for a bay window roughed in to one of them. the other will probably get a copula, weather I buy one or build one. I"m thinking my RR will have at least four log trains at any time , one inbound and one outbound, on both the Valley and mountain divisions. that could increase to six log trains, If I add a third logging camp into my staging. I'm thinking it might be nice to add a copula to three more Mantua 1860 combines, in order to have a combine caboose for each log run. when i do my train budget shopping I'll have to look into some 1860 combines and copulas, although I may not want to build all four at once.

I love these od MDC

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Inspiration begets inspiration

Circular inspiration is a good thing. Dr Tom and I have gone through too many cycles of that in the last 25 years
to even think about counting. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that time span, but our little girls were about 4 when we started our collaboration, and they ain't little girls no mo.
Bill Nelson

Bill is correct I cannot count the number of times that my modeling has been inspired by what he is doing at home and at the club. My modeling activities always pick up when I have seen the work of others. That is why the "show and tell" here on Zealot is so much fun. Keep up the good works.

Tom:thumb:

Attachments

• Steam-Train-Crashes-Card-8.jpg
    Steam-Train-Crashes-Card-8.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 30

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Pretty soon I'll move on to my locomotives since I really only have C3 and C10 to finish (C10 is a TM bay window boxcar from their work train series). I packed up a lot of my 90% and up completed projects in boxes today, Hobby Lobby had a Christmas sale on their big tins which I scooped up to store rolling stock and parts in. They also had some model car primer in the clearance section so that came home with me too.

I am probably going to tackle #12 first, the 0-4-2T Lil Monster, possibly the oldest locomotive I own. The sound decoder for that is currently sitting in the '35 Hiawatha and I know I have a can motor that will fit in there without major modification to anything.

Bill, if you find those drivers from your old Bachmann 0-6-0T let me know. I'll see if those will work or not so hopefully I won't have to find a place who nickel plates wheels.

Tyler

Z

Zathros

It would be interesting to see a locomotive. I have an older looking one, it's put away in the barn, it looks like a larger "Little House on the Prairie" design, and these two. I have other two old engines I was thinking of working on. One is a Bachmann (Silver), but the green one has no markings, I don't know what it is? :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 5

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Of the railroads wagons, the ones that really intrigue and I like, are the caboose. One of these days I will build one probably some time in the future. This is one area of modeling that I have ignore for some time. Thanks for the photos.

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
Zathros, your locomotive in question is a mid-production Athearn F45. Almost all of the "blue box" Athearns came from the factory sounding like mobile coffee grinders, but overall generally reliable locomotives. That Bachmann 4-8-4 is a great locomotive to look at but their cheap construction methods lead to being known as poor runners. Bowser used to make mechanisms for these, but since they cut off their steam production they are no longer made and command a pretty high premium.

Silveroxide, when you get a chance to build one make sure you post it here so we can see your work! We always like to see other peoples work.

Tyler

Z

Zathros

Zathros, your locomotive in question is a mid-production Athearn F45. Almost all of the "blue box" Athearns came from the factory sounding like mobile coffee grinders, but overall generally reliable locomotives. That Bachmann 4-8-4 is a great locomotive to look at but their cheap construction methods lead to being known as poor runners. Bowser used to make mechanisms for these, but since they cut off their steam production they are no longer made and command a pretty high premium.

Silveroxide, when you get a chance to build one make sure you post it here so we can see your work! We always like to see other peoples work.

Tyler

Thanks for the info. These cars have virtually no time on them. I got them when a wealthy guy sold his hose to another wealthy guy and the second guy put them all in a box and threw them away. My friend ran the transfer station and reached down with a backhoe and grabbed the box full of trains, cars, track, digital controller, everything needed to set up track, all for FREE. You would not believe what I have rescued from that transfer station! :)

Z

Zathros

According to GBWDude, a Bachmann 4-8-4 of dubious quality. The parts are pretty "stamped out" looking. I could machine out better arms and what not and do a one off custom job on it. If I knew the actual motor was of good quality, it might be worth it. Though to be honest, I don't think it will be run much. Certainly not puling more than a car and a caboose!

I'll have to pull out some of m "N" scale stuff. :)

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
ASL  A-1  current  pannel.jpg ASLA-1  nw control  pannel  mock  up  #1.jpg control panel design.

As Part of my railroad redesign plan, I have been working on a replacement control panel. My existing panel fits in a split level section of my railroad. directly to the left of the panel is the Harlow Passenger station, @ level 2 of my current RR. Directly underneath the panel is the helix going down to the Southern Staging level; level 1 on my current railroad. To the right is the climb to Terrapin, the beginning of the fourth level of my railroad, which continues in a tunnel behind the panel. also in a tunnel , above the panel is the track leading to Ridgemont and State line, on level five of my current railroad. You can see the narrow gauge bridge over Sander's gorge leading to Gegokayoosa and the seventh level of my current outfit.

Dr Tom has been agitating for a Mock up of the new panel, so he could see how it works. Here is the first draft, drawn up on some foam core. On the second draft, I can move the top part of the schematic up, and possibly increase the space between the horizontal lines. The new panel design has 13 blocks, while the old one only has ten. Added is a block for Dead Grass, which is represented by a return loop with a passing siding, so one or two trains could be staged there. Also added would be a block for Flea Creek, the big log camp. Flea Creek is a name recycled form my layout @ my folks house in atlanta, back in the early 1970s when I was in High school. I would also have a block for Midway, which does not exist on my current RR. I would also have a block for the helix , that doesn't exist on my current Railroad. deleted from the panel would be Perry's gizzard, and Terrapin. I'm missing something, as the number's don't add yo, but I've been up for 13 1/2 hours so far and may not be firing on all cylinders.

Last edited: