East Terrible Mining Co. Shay

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Vic,
I did re-size the "B" joint as I found that the truck came off the tracks on narrow a radius, but never did "A". I have made my own prop shafts using brass tube and the original props cut down and inserted into either end which made it better.

I will email you my address friend, then you can post me that article in August 1985 MR by Walter Ronfeldt.

Cheers
Shamus

Oops, couldn't email you from the gauge.

Vic

Shamus E-Mail

Clear your mailbox at The Guage and I'll send you mine. It says its too full to take anymore messages. Your fans are "besieging" you!!!:D :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Vic,
My message board is empty, has been for some time, other people keep trying to send me a message and get the same result.

I have asked Dave H about it.

Cheers
Shamus

Vic

Got It

Hi Shamus, Got the information I needed and will send the articles to you on Monday by mail.

shamus

Registered Member
Hey Vic,
Here's my backdated shay and the original.
rrf2shay.jpg

Also for those interested, I can supply simple drawings to change the MDC Climax body into something more interesting, also requires an alteration of the chassis.

rrf2climax.jpg

Vic

Just got back from the copyshop on those articles. No big deal its only about a 1/4 mile from my house.

Once again I'm just super impressed with what you do. Would love to have a copy of the drawing you mentioned.

Shamus,

Any chance of sending me a copy of the Climax mod drwgs too.
The MDC Climax was the very first kit I ever bought and it never ever did run properly. The motor takes 1 Amp at 9 volts and struggles like it was dying! I think the plastic gear on the motor shaft has split open (it's the dickens of a job to know for sure with these jet black gears).
If I can't get it to run properly I'd love to make a more attractive unit out of it like you have done and use it as a static item for photographic poses. (The road name will be changed to protect the innocent :) )

BTW, I don't have the courage to separate the domes from the boiler on any of my Shays to get that original period look you so successfully acheived. Really nice pics!

Thanks in advance
Errol