Early Streamliners

Streamliner

I am looking for HO models of early Diesel Streamliners. I'm new to the hobby and not sure where to search or what is available. I've been to a couple of good sized "train shows" so I know that the stuff I'm looking for isn't common. I know that an HO scale model of the ICRR "Green Daimond" was offered about ten years ago so I would appreciate help you guys can throw my way. I would think that someone must have produced a model of the early UP streamliners as well.

Thanks ..... Streamliner

LarryGarrett

Perhaps I'm not answering exactly what you are asking for, BUT, if you are talking about the Streamliners that were run in the late 30's through the 40's by many of the major roads----you should be able to find them. I''ve seen many of the locos that pulled the well-known passenger trains. Check the websites for IHC, Bachman, Con-Cor, and there are several others. From what I've seen in the magazine ads and on the internet, these locomotives are abundant, and made by various manufactures. They have both the 4-6-2's, which were called semi-streamlined and the 4-6-4's (I think that's what they were) that were fully streamlined, and all were painted in new flashy colors as the railroads updated their equipment.

However, if what you are talking about is "classic," one-of-a-kind items, then I really can't help you....Good luck!

Pooh Bah
Streamliner:
One problem is that the early streamliners were almost all custom jobs. The Zephyr and the UP streamliners were limited prototypes (there was a Zephyr-type called the Flying Yankee on the Boston & Maine), so that there isn't much call for models. The same goes for the passenger locomotives earlier than the E7. Many of them have been made as limited run brass models, but I don't think they have been in plastic.
The coaches would have the same problem. They might be special runs or regular coaches "tarted up" for the job -- either way, they would be uneconomic to mass produce.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
No answers, just questions

Streamliner -

You are probably in the best position to answer this question... I have seen the "Shovelnose", but can't recall the manufacturer. Does this count as a diesel streamliner? If so, I'll try to find this issue of MR where I saw it for you.

Andrew

jon-monon

Welcome to the gauge, Stream. Hang out here long enough, you'll learn how to make yer own! :D :D :D Walthers has a searchable web site and carries all the major stuff, but they charge individuals "full list" and there are many discount hobby shops out there that will give you a break. I use the walthers site primarly for reference. I like 1stplace for their great prices and very search friendly web site. If it's availabler, you can probably find it searching 1stplace. Trainworld has great prices and service but what a lame web site. Here they are:

Walthers

1stplace

Train World

spitfire

Streamliner, I share your dismay at the lack of streamlined locos. Unlike you however I'm looking for steam, particularly the PRR Raymond Loewy-designed S-1 duplex 6-4-4-6. There wasn't a more stylish streamliner made IMO, and although I'm always seeing it in posters and ads, no one seems to make it. (unless you count Samhongsa's brass model - now a collectors item selling for upwards of $800!)

Granted the damn thing was HUGE, saw only brief service and was never produced in any quantity, but I NEED ONE - and that's reason enough!!!!!

Here's a link to some more streamlined beauties:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/streamlined/scrapped/

The PRR S-1 duplex (sigh)...

Attachments

• prr6100.jpg
    prr6100.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 146

Vic

Seems like that I recall an article in MR years ago about scratching the Burlington Zyphers...might try researching that.

The later streamliners such as the Super Chief, The Cresent, and etc were lash-ups of E8's/E9's with matching cars...that shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

Okay --- you want early streamliners? How's this? A cylindrical-bodied, steel car from 1868!
Oh, but you said diesel.....

Attachments

• 1868.jpg
    1868.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 131

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks for the link Spitfire - very cool trains. I chose the 30s for my layout partly because of the opportunity to run these, although like you it would be "because", and not to replicate any particular piece of history.

Question though - after checking your link and doing some reading, it said that a lot of the streamlining was taken off, especially after WWII. Do you know why? Was it the usual reasons - too heavy, doesn't really improve efficiency, etc?

Thanks.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
A lot of streamlining was only done for publicity reasons. Much of it added little to efficiency and it weighed a lot unless it was integrated into the design. After WW II, the locos were no longer the newest thing on rails and the new F unit diesels were streamlined. As Jon suggested, maintenance was a problem -- panels over the driving wheels got in the way and also reduced the cooling available.

spitfire

Originally posted by MasonJar

Question though - after checking your link and doing some reading, it said that a lot of the streamlining was taken off, especially after WWII. Do you know why? Was it the usual reasons - too heavy, doesn't really improve efficiency, etc?

Andrew, I don't know for sure, but I do know that during WWII, trains were run ragged with all the shipping for the war effort. Afterwards many RRs wanted government assistance, ie $$$, to repair, refurbish and replace their aging fleets, but no dice. Many went under at that time.

I would guess that the streamlined skirting was the worse for wear and not worth replacing. Also, passenger travel was beginning to decline in favour of the family car, so it didn't make economic sense. And possibly the design aesthetic had changed by then too, away from streamlining and deco.

Too bad, hmm? They sure were beauties, especially compared to many deisels which to me look like no more than boxes on wheels. (No offence deisel-fans!)

cheers
Val

Vic

In many cases the railroads discovered that while the streamlining of steam locos did make them pleasing to the eye and did result in some operating efficency the over all cost of maintaing such locos (having to remove and replace the streamlining for major maintaince) killed any operational savings by the higher cost of maintaince. In any event, the diesel era was just on the horizon, which in the thinking of the times was even more efficent....I have read that had the railroads continued to develop steam loco technology, a diesel would be a rarity today.....Oh well, we can dream,can't we!!!:D :D :D