Early Days of Modeling In "N"

My wife decided to copy slides onto CD so went about searching through our 2,000 collection. She came upon some of my early work in N gauge. musta been about 28 to 30 yrs ago! At that time I had no idea what USA terrain was like but had images in my head as to what I thought it looked like.
I built my 1st diorama, a mere 3ft x 9" just to get the hang of this dinky little gauge. I guessed Burlington and GN RR's would run through my favourite type of scenery...... here are the results of my imagination.

(One or two more photos will follow in this thread after I get round to copying more slides).

Errol

Attachments

• n diorama.jpg
    n diorama.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 158

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Errol,
Looking good, even if they are nearly as old as me.:rolleyes:

Funny what turns up in photographs hunting, I found a load of my early N-scale, which go way back also. Nice to see them, show us some more please.

Shamus

Last of the old photos.

I think the following pics are the last of my old slides. I sure hope so as scanning slides on a flatbed scanner is a tedious job :) .

Here they are, parts of my 1st N layout where I made every mistake in the book. Only materials then were plaster, Faller trees and plastic kits. Looking back, I wonder what I could have done with Woodland Scenics stuff! Yes Rory that is a "Pola"/"Model Power" gravel loader in the top picture (quite "bashable"). Loads of character in it.

You know what? .... As I look back on this lot the more I cry in my beer that the biggest space I have for a layout is occupied by an HO pike!:eek: :mad:

Oh well, I'll probably settle for a small folded dogbone in N (eventually). :) I'll tell you my tale of woe later.

Errol

Attachments

• 1st n layout.jpg
    1st n layout.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 149

Drew1125

Very nice little piece of work, Errol!
I'm gonna have to ask the same question as Tyson...
Do you think that maybe you could find room on a bookshelf somewhere for a diorama that could be a home for all those beautiful N scale structures you;ve built?
36"x9" isn't all that big, y'know?
Well, with it being Tyson's birthday, & you crying in your beer, I think it's high time I went & had meself a cold one!:D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Errol, the rock work certainly looks North American so you were right on track. Unlike you years ago I had a Hornby Dublo layout.
All I have left of that is a Dutchess of Athol loco.
Later I switched to HO and eventually sold everything I had and got Postage Stamp N gauge and it has just gone on from there.
Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of those old pikes.
I am sure pleased you saved your pictures.
You are what you are now because of what you were when!!