Dutch Windmill "De Liefde"

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Bluenoser, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

This model was downloaded from the following link:
    http://www.city.sakura.lg.jp/web_furoku/index.htm

Although a Dutch windmill, it actually is situated in Japan!

These first series of pictures show the internal structure for the mill going together. I applied additional card to the top and bottom formers to increased stiffness. Probably didn't really need it but I put it on anyway.

Attached Files:

2. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Next was to bond the shell for this together. My printed copy was not the same size for both the halves. This is evident at both top and bottom. I printed this out quite awhile ago and my printer is presently out of the yellow ink, so I cannot get a new printout right now.

But, being as impatient as I am, I am going to forge ahead anyway. So I trimmed the top and bottom to line up.

Attached Files:

3. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Now it is time to wrap the exterior shell around the structure. As you can see, now my internal structure is to big. I realize that having added some additional card to top and bottom would cause this to grow, but this space is bigger than the amoun of card I applied. I'm thinking that I had better place closer attention to my print jobs.

However, not to let a "little" problem like this get in my way, it was time to make some adjustments to the internal structure.

Attached Files:

4. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I gotta start making these pictures smaller. My mistakes will be clearly visible at a lower resolution anyway.:cry:

So to fix the oversize structure, I cut the top off to the level where the exterior shell will come up to, and then glued it back down.

Attached Files:

5. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Now I was able to reapply the shell. Even with all my big screw ups, I still was able to salvage this. :twisted:

Attached Files:

6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Next is the head structure for the windmill. This is a clever piece. The areas marked with an "X" should not be glued right away when assembling this part together as the shaft for the prop will go in here.

Attached Files:

7. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

This is the part assembled and with the far side of these "X" tabs glued down and the near side still free.

Attached Files:

8. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

The shaft is in and secured both sides with the tabs. Be sure to keep the shaft free for rotation.

Attached Files:

9. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

My wife had the camera for a couple of days and I finished the model during that time. So now the finished pictures. There really wasn't much difficulty after this anyway.

Attached Files:

10. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

More pics

Attached Files:

11. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I cut out the spaces in the wheel at the back. It does not call for it and the spaces are colored, but it does look better this way.

Attached Files:

12. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

And that's it.

It didn't take all that long to build. My wife is actually going to let this one go out on display because its something "other than another ship or plane" in her words.

Attached Files:

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I like it! thanks for showing it to us :)
    Chris
  14. cjd

cjd Member

Nice looking model - I will have to build one for my (Dutch) mother in law

Chris
  15. rowiac

rowiac Member

I also built this windmill recently. I made some custom pieces for the back side of the blades, since the kit has plain white paper showing on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roger
  16. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Looks great too.
  17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Thanks

Hey Bluenoser,

Thanks for sharing this build, and your mistakes. It's always educational to see how others adapt to the challenges in their builds. I'm rather inspired by the build too. I've never been really interested in buildings per se, but windmills do have a charm all their own, and the extra effort you put into your build leaves me wanting to try one myself.

Thanks again.