Duratrax Evader

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Johndeer, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastmec

mastmec Member

Those 1500's are ok for playing with the stock motor, but will last only a few minutes with your new one. Go with at least a 2400 nicd, I assume you have a timer charger, if so, charge them till they're warm. 7 cell batteries will give you alittle more speed and run time. If you go with Nimh batteries you will need a charger for them, peak charger, they get mad if over charged.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

7 cell will give you more speed and power but will Not give you more run time.it will actualy give you slightly less runtime.

Nimh are nice but the cost is so high it wouldnt be worth it.for the money you can buy a ton of them 1500 shark battery packs and a couple of chargers.that can keep you running all day nonstop.but with the mod motor,you shoudl let it cool down before you run the next battery pack.
  3. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Thanks Timrock for your info it has all paned out for me.

Did you say that I should leave the gearing alone? The truck seems to run fine the way it is.
  4. Wyndigo

Wyndigo New Member

Hi everyone thats posted for the evader,I'm new to this message board and also new to the evader, had traxxas before (still have parts) not sure if anyone else has noticed about the transmission, which I heard wasnt the strongest one made, have a look at the older b3 buggy and possibly the trucks, the tranny looks identical, not sure if they would match up perfectly, but maybe with a little tweaking it would work, just a thought :)
    Wyndigo
  5. Robin

Robin Member

I am looking for a way to make my run times longer and my speed better for my evader st. i heard that if you get a 12t motor it will go faster, but it's run time will be about 5 min. is there a way to have that speed but make it last longer?
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

You'll need 3300 batteries and a good charger.
  7. badguy1971

badguy1971 New Member

I too am new to this hobby!
    2 weeks ago I also just bought an Evader ST (my first RC truck)
    I broke it 2 days later. (front shock tower, now replaced)
    The transmission (I think the ball diff)is also making a grinding noise.

While I was on a trip I went to a hobby shop to kill some time and look for parts for my evader I ended up walking out with a used HPI RS4 MT. It has a Kyosho Xspeed 12 turn double and a GM V12 ESC (NO TURN LIMIT!!!).
    This HPI car WALKS ALL OVER the evader!!!
    I take it I can swap out the motor and ESC from car to car?

Thanks for all the info and help!
    what a PERFECT hobby!
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

yes, you can swap any of the electrics.
  9. bandit1

bandit1 Member

my evader did the same thing with the diff grinding. reaplce o clean your thrust balls and it should be fine. i got lucky and only had to clean and re-oil them.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

Robin,you can obtain almost twice the amount of runtime using 2 battery packs wired parallel.but the car will be heavier.
  11. Robin

Robin Member

is there any other way to get a longer run time without all the weight? Also, what is the numbers on the batteries? For example, on mine, it says "1500" What does that mean?
  12. Robin

Robin Member

Is it better to have a higher number?
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

The higher the number the more capacity the battery has. If your running a modified motor, you need a lot of capacity. Anything over 2400's are going to be NiMH batteries and you will need a peak detection charger.
  14. Robin

Robin Member

So if I have a higher number, will the run times me longer?
  15. mastmec

mastmec Member

In most cases yes.
  16. Robin

Robin Member

what if im running the stock motor?
  17. mastmec

mastmec Member

The higher number mah battery the longer run times. basically if your going to run a 12 turn or lower, you will need a 3300mah battery. 13 turn and up, a 3000mah battery, 19 turn to stock you can run 2400mah NiCD or lower and do fine. Your only other option is Poly batterys which are about 6000mah and higher, but they are expensive and not readily avliable, and you have to have a special charger.
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

for NiMH batteries you need a charger that charges them.not any peak detection charger will work.

also you dont need anything higher than what you have now.if you dont want to spend all that money on those expensive batteries,you can have a half a dozen 1500 packs,a couple of inexpensive chargers and you can run all day,nonstop.and that would cost half of what one 3300 battery and the NiMH charger would cost.
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

timrock, he wants more run time, thats what he asked. You've allready said to him get a bunch of cheap batteries, but he's running or wants to run a 12turn, which would give him about 3 minutes.
    Robin, you can buy a great little charger, MRC Superbrain 959 for about $50.00, then a few 3000mah sport packs @ $40.00 each. I wouldn't buy a bunch of cheap stuff because it doesn't last long and you will spend more money in the long run. Buy the good ones and you have something you can race with and will last a lot longer. If you wnat to start racing you'll have to buy the good ones anyway to be competitive or even finish the race.
  20. Robin

Robin Member

what would be a good motor to buy to replace my 20T? Keeping in mind that i want speed and run-time, but the run time was solved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.