Duratrax Evader

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Johndeer, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastmec

mastmec Member

Johndeer, If you are just bashing around, you will want to run hard brushes, P94 style #RC4380E. They will last a long time with little wear on the comm. As far as springs go, you can run either reds on both sides or put a green on the neg. side (will give a little more RPM) Stonger tension on the pos. side. You can change out the spring tensions for tuning purposes. And I wouldn't adjust the timing to more than 5 or 10 deg. if for just playing, it will wear out the comm faster. You will also have to change the pinion gear to a lot lower tooth gear, like a 14t.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

that motor comes with the springs and brushes all pre-broken-in.it is ready to go.i wouldnt change the springs or touch the timing if i were you.the brushes will last a pretty long time.

i think a 14 tooth pinion would be too small but it also depends on the spur gear.if it is geared to low it wont be any faster than the stock motor.you will have little top speed and when taking off from a dead stop your slipper clutch will slip too much from the increased torque do to lower gearing.i would stick with the stock gears.maybe go down a tooth or so but i wouldnt.i would use the same gears that you used on the stock motor to see the huge difference more clearly.

try it out in the street first.if it is to fast for your back yard then gear it lower and tighten the slipper clutch as much as it will allow.keep in mind,when running off road or through grass,you need much lower gearing than you do in the street.
  3. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

When you say gear it lower are you refering to the small gear on the motor?

I got all my equipment today and got it all hooked up.. WAY COOL.. what a difference. Question, the motor came with three little resisters, and one big long one.. What do I do with them?
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

The gear on the motor is the pinion, when gearing the new motor for bashing around, run in around little and make sure it doesn't get hot, if it does, go to a smaller pinion. If you got a D5 motor it should have capacitors on it, so you will not use the extra three you got, there should have been some kind of notes with the new motor about them. The larger one is a shocky diode, do NOT use it if you have reverse. It's to help keep the FETs cool while braking on the ESC.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

gearing it lower means smaller gear on the motor and bigger gear on the tranny wich is called the spur gear.the spur gear meshes with the motor gear.
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

ok reading mastmec`s post it makes me sick how missleadinging people are.him telling you to buy better brushes for that motor and un even springs now telling you that the D5 motor has capacitors on it which it doesn`t.the motor comes with an extra set of brushes and the right springs.dont do anything to the motor.it is ready to run!

the D5 dosenot come with capacitors.it has a curcuit board that replaces them.
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

The capacitors are on the circuit board, therefor it allready has them on it. How it that being misleading when you say the same thing just word it different? And they are not better brushes just replacement brushes, which is what he wanted to know. And about un even springs, you even saying that says to me that you don't know about motor tuning either.
  8. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

OK my bad, I found the papers on the motor and it says "This motor comes with three capacitors already pre-installed for you, so no additinal capacitors are needed". It doesnt say anything about there being three replacement capacitors included with the motor or anything about the big capacitor.

So I'm not sure if these items came with the motor now or the ESC, So then I looked at the paper work for the ESC and it talks about "Motor Capacitors", could this be what I have? It talks about soldering them to the outside of the motor but makes not a lick of sence to me. Is this needed? I ran the truck without them and it seemed to run fine.

Also with this setup am I going to need to worry about the motor over heating?

Would a picture of the capacitors help? If so how do I get them on the forum?
  9. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

The capacitors are there to steady the voltage flow. As the voltage comes into the cap it "charges" the cap. Then the cap holds the voltage and releases it when the cap has fully charged. Basically so you get better performance from the motor and battery. A Diode is something that lets current flow only one direction. The direction is determined by a color band on the diode. It is there to make sure you dont have your DC current going backwards and frying your circuitry.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

rockn82 is the biggest a hole i have ever seen.still missleading people.

the capasitors are for the radio system.the motor can make interference with the radio.the capacitors help keep that from happening.

rockn82=a hole+dudex
  11. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

The capacitors are there for the radio system. They are to help stop the radio from "glitching". I don't believe that you "have" to have them on the motor, however it is highly recomended. Now you guys can start calling me whatever you want....but that's what they are for.
  12. mastmec

mastmec Member

johndeer, the three caps. that came with the ESC are to be used on motors that do NOT come with them preinstalled, like older motors. Just keep them incase you need them. Yes, you need to keep check on the motor and ESC so that they don't overheat, every run, even after you get the gearing correct, because things happen, motor gets dirty, bearings aren't lubed, wheel bearing going out, just to name a few. Always check temps and you will save a lot of headaces.
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

Timrock, why don't you just TRY to answer someone's question, instead of bashing someone else's answer. And by the way, caps are for smoothing out electrical current, that's how they prevent glitching, which IS electrical current, MR. ELECTRIC MOTOR KNOW-IT-ALL !!!!! Why don't you look up some of your info before you try teaching it to someone else.
  14. timrock

timrock Active Member

i didnt bash you what are you talking about?i dont get along with rockn82 because i caught him giving tons of false info and bad advice,i corrected him and has been bashing me ever since.also what makes you think i didnt know what the capacitors were for?after all i was the first one who posted what they are for.
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

also,Johndeer,with the D5 motor you dont need the capacitors on it.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

also mastmec.i see what you are talking about.i took as you were one of rockn82`s alternate names.i know he has another one that is dudex
  17. pike

pike Member

sounds like a cheap pos that you could keep buying for bashing in sand or whatever lol 10-15$ max #@$% 15$ is pushing it lol that's all id pay 4 that piece of shiat
  18. pike

pike Member

dame straight "HOLY SHIAT" over 100mph what a fukin electric can do that woah.
  19. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Thanks for the answer on the capacitors I will set them aside. Now onto the batt. questions.. The charge I have will charge 6 cell and 7 cell batt. Do I stand to gain anything by buying some 7 cell batteries now or should I just stay with the 6 cell? ie will it go faster and or will the charge last longer?
  20. Johndeer

Johndeer New Member

Also what is a good battery to buy? Right now I have 4 Shark 6 cell 1500mah nicd battery.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.