Durango & Silverton Ride

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
Whats going on? I thought I would post a couple pictures from my trip to Durango, Colorado, where I got to ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Rail Road. The trip lasted about two hours, because it being winter time and the train is not able to make the full trip because of the snow. Nevertheless, the trip was very fun and I learned a lot. This used to be part of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Now, as you can see from one of the pictures (which really does it no justice), I have pretty big lips. Cold, dry moutain air plus a steady pace forward do not mix well with lips. My lips were chapped for about a month after the ride. The sunglasses are required because of the smoke and any small particles that might get in your eyes. One of the security guys said that they had people sent to the hospital because of smoke and coal particles going in their eyes. I appologize for the "stretched" pictures. I am not very good at this uploading stuff. If anyone has any pictures of this, or any other train ride, please post.

Attachments

• 181Front.JPG
    181Front.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 70
  • canyon.JPG
    canyon.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 71
  • River.JPG
    River.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 71
  • LookDown.JPG
    LookDown.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 71

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
heres another 2. the first one is on the same canyon as the first, but on our way back to the station. the second is after the train had backed up on the "Y" to turn around. Its a Narrow Gauge 2-8-2

Attachments

• Canyon2.JPG
    Canyon2.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 52
  • On181.JPG
    On181.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 52

Go Big1

Dec 29, 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago
Great stuff! I certainly do remember how sooty you are after riding the D&S narrow gauge in one of the open air cars! sign1

I have pictures of my ride somewhere in the house - it was a couple years ago.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
This is kind of how it starts. It goes from a beautiful mountain scenery to actually being in the mountains. There are a few places where the passage is so narrow, that you can actually reach out and touch the rock walls on either side of the train. I will try to find more pictures and scan them. But I think I left most of them in New Mexico at my parent's house. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Attachments

• Valley.JPG
    Valley.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 36

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
Go Big1 said:
Great stuff! I certainly do remember how sooty you are after riding the D&S narrow gauge in one of the open air cars! sign1

I have pictures of my ride somewhere in the house - it was a couple years ago.

Hey, if you find them, please post. I really need to get into the digital camera era. These disposable ones dont do the scenery justice. And yes, you are sooty after riding the open car. Did you go to the museum after the ride?

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
woodone said:
This has to one of the greatest trips that you can take.:thumb: The scenery is WOW! WOW! and you still say WOW!

I agree. I had NEVER been on a train before (unless you count roller coasters), and it was a really cool first time experience (except formy poor lips).

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Well if your are like me this will be the trip that you will make referance to, if you ever ride any other trains. It will be hard to beat!! I have been on several others and they just don't match up to the scenery and the likes. This is one that I made a second trip back to see again.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Great photo's of one of the finest tourist railroads in the world. Thanks for sharing. When you were mentioning the cinders and smoke I got to thinking about something that I read about the earliest railroads that used stage coach bodies for cars and how the cheap seats were the ones on top of the coach where the passengers sat in the smoke.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
Jim Krause said:
Great photo's of one of the finest tourist railroads in the world. Thanks for sharing. When you were mentioning the cinders and smoke I got to thinking about something that I read about the earliest railroads that used stage coach bodies for cars and how the cheap seats were the ones on top of the coach where the passengers sat in the smoke.

...................:eek: :eek:
train97

Thats horrible.