Dummy needs some help!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Texman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

I just received my brand new Mig-21 printed kit from Marek. I have scanned it into my system and have them safely stored as .pdf's.

Now the dummy part. I am using Adobe photoshop and would like to
    pull out the outlines/panel lines so I can commence to do some repaints.

Can someone hold my hand and guide me through the process? I have
    tried without success for a couple of days, and it just isn't working.

When I scanned the pages, the panel lines came out as a subtle shade of
    dark gray, and the image is locked. I need any and all help ya'll can give!

Thanks

Ray
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

I just received my brand new Mig-21 printed kit from Marek. I have scanned it into my system and have them safely stored as .pdf's.

Now the dummy part. I am using Adobe photoshop and would like to
    pull out the outlines/panel lines so I can commence to do some repaints.

Can someone hold my hand and guide me through the process? I have
    tried without success for a couple of days, and it just isn't working.

When I scanned the pages, the panel lines came out as a subtle shade of
    dark gray, and the image is locked. I need any and all help ya'll can give!

Thanks

Ray
  3. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Ray,

I wish I was able to help ya, but i have never even seen a photoshop screenshot that I know of. I use adobe photo deluxe home ed. 3.0 and their business edition for any recolors I do. (They dont make them anymore lol :oops: ).

wish I could help ya out,

greg
  4. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Ray,

I wish I was able to help ya, but i have never even seen a photoshop screenshot that I know of. I use adobe photo deluxe home ed. 3.0 and their business edition for any recolors I do. (They dont make them anymore lol :oops: ).

wish I could help ya out,

greg
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use Paint Shop Pro, but a lot of the graphics programs have the same abilities.

Can you scan and save them in another format like tiff or jpeg or png then open that in your graphics program to edit them? Scanning software usually has a list of formats to save a scan.

By locked do you mean that you cannot use the Graphics Select tool with the pdf file to copy the part and paste it into your graphics program to edit? I do that a lot with pdf's that will allow it, but locked might mean you cannot do it. Adobe Acrobat Viewer has a graphics select tool on the menu bar. It looks like a solid square and a circle surrounded by a dashed square. You surround the parts you want to copy with the dashed line box, select copy from the edit menu, then open your graphics program and paste as a new image. You can then edit.

Another way would be to get a screen shot and open it in your graphics program and then resize it as necessary to get it back to scale then edit it that way. I have not done much resizing of model parts that way, but I have used screen shots to get a graphic I needed when all else has failed, then edited out the stuff that is not needed.

I am by no means an expert in this stuff. Those are a few things I have figured out or found out over the years.
    :)

~Doug~
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use Paint Shop Pro, but a lot of the graphics programs have the same abilities.

Can you scan and save them in another format like tiff or jpeg or png then open that in your graphics program to edit them? Scanning software usually has a list of formats to save a scan.

By locked do you mean that you cannot use the Graphics Select tool with the pdf file to copy the part and paste it into your graphics program to edit? I do that a lot with pdf's that will allow it, but locked might mean you cannot do it. Adobe Acrobat Viewer has a graphics select tool on the menu bar. It looks like a solid square and a circle surrounded by a dashed square. You surround the parts you want to copy with the dashed line box, select copy from the edit menu, then open your graphics program and paste as a new image. You can then edit.

Another way would be to get a screen shot and open it in your graphics program and then resize it as necessary to get it back to scale then edit it that way. I have not done much resizing of model parts that way, but I have used screen shots to get a graphic I needed when all else has failed, then edited out the stuff that is not needed.

I am by no means an expert in this stuff. Those are a few things I have figured out or found out over the years.
    :)

~Doug~
  7. barry

barry Active Member

edges

Try Filter - stylise - Find edges

barry
  8. barry

barry Active Member

edges

Try Filter - stylise - Find edges

barry
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Its been a while but when I edit models after a scan I usually go to the
    Image--->Adjustments---> Auto levels

That usually brings all the panel lines up to black as well as "distorting" the other colours.

By using the "Eye Dropper" sampling tool you can sample the colour you want to get rid of(Say light blue like the underside of a WWII German Bomber)
    Go up to Select----> Colour Range and by playing the the "Fuzziness" you can select how much is selected.
    Press OK and then Delete once you return to the main page and it should remove the colour...repeat for other colours...

I hope Im making sense for you, Try it, im sorry if you waste your time, It does seem to work for me

John John
  10. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Its been a while but when I edit models after a scan I usually go to the
    Image--->Adjustments---> Auto levels

That usually brings all the panel lines up to black as well as "distorting" the other colours.

By using the "Eye Dropper" sampling tool you can sample the colour you want to get rid of(Say light blue like the underside of a WWII German Bomber)
    Go up to Select----> Colour Range and by playing the the "Fuzziness" you can select how much is selected.
    Press OK and then Delete once you return to the main page and it should remove the colour...repeat for other colours...

I hope Im making sense for you, Try it, im sorry if you waste your time, It does seem to work for me

John John
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try looking at Leif's work on the Fiesler...,

-Gil
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try looking at Leif's work on the Fiesler...,

-Gil
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

whoops. double post...
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

whoops. double post...
  15. 46rob

46rob Member

Convert the PDF's to Photoshop docs using <save as> .

Use your magic wand tool, with a tolerance of about 20 to select each section. (Tolerance can range up to 255--play with the setting to get rid of the color without reducing the panel lines.) Then use the paint bucket to color the secton(s) white. You can select multipe sections by using <shift> and the magic wand. <alt> and the tool will unselect the section.
  16. 46rob

46rob Member

Convert the PDF's to Photoshop docs using <save as> .

Use your magic wand tool, with a tolerance of about 20 to select each section. (Tolerance can range up to 255--play with the setting to get rid of the color without reducing the panel lines.) Then use the paint bucket to color the secton(s) white. You can select multipe sections by using <shift> and the magic wand. <alt> and the tool will unselect the section.
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I wouldn't save them as pdfs until I had finished the work. Scan them and save them as tiffs, ir in gif, png or bitmap (bmp) format. Each has its own advantages. Avoid jpeg format though, too much compression going on. Do that later.

Warning. You will need fairly high resolutions too, so you could end up with some BIG files. Treat yourself to another 512mb of ram, if your pc will take it! It will bake a huge difference when editing big files like this.

Best of luck, Leifs article is a seam of pure gold if you are doing this sort of work.

http://cardmodels.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2256
    Tim P
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I wouldn't save them as pdfs until I had finished the work. Scan them and save them as tiffs, ir in gif, png or bitmap (bmp) format. Each has its own advantages. Avoid jpeg format though, too much compression going on. Do that later.

Warning. You will need fairly high resolutions too, so you could end up with some BIG files. Treat yourself to another 512mb of ram, if your pc will take it! It will bake a huge difference when editing big files like this.

Best of luck, Leifs article is a seam of pure gold if you are doing this sort of work.

http://cardmodels.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2256
    Tim P
  19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Folks,

Another milestone has been reached, Tim's post is #25,000 on the site.

just thought you might like to know

Rick
  20. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Folks,

Another milestone has been reached, Tim's post is #25,000 on the site.

just thought you might like to know

Rick