Dummy Engines

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Hi all,
Anyone know where I get dummy engines. I mean like GP38-2, SD40, SD45, DASH 8, AC4400CW etc.? Sure I need on'e with power but I have decided before I am going to build my new layout, I am going to build a couple of modules first (Partly because of all the junk in the garage and partly because my mom has changed her mind and doesn't want a huge layout in the garage) :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

these modules will not be powered so why do I need powered engines? I only want 5 or 6 dummy engines for the modules but I don't know where to get them.

Anyone????

You can always post in the buy/sell forum to offer to buy broken-down engines and use them as dummies. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses. :D

Another good alternative is to visit your LHS and look in their bargain bin.. Open-box/slightly-damaged items might net you some good deals for cheap.

Good luck.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Dash 8 can mean alot of things.

anyway, you can usually buy dummies from companies like Athearn. Now that i think of it though i don't remember there being alot of dummies made by lower down manufacturers. You might as well get the powered engines, even though they cost more. its worth it in the end.

Maybe you can have a small switching module, or you could build a 4x8 or something, if you can get the space. you already have alot of neat buildings, so just plan around that! How much space do you actually have now? i might put something together.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Right now I have a 2' x 15' layout and I am planning on making 2 modules with demensions of 5.6' x 2.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah, you can fit a switching layout in there, you could probabl fit a pair of GPs or so, and definitely all of the locmotives you mentioned. you just won't be able to continuosly run them.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ya I no

I want to have some big engines in there. Im looking at Athearn Dummys and am kinda finding some. They have them in kit form - do you know if these are hard to put together? It doesn't same dummy in the description so im assuming there powered but???

Athearn "kits" are more accurately described as "ready to complete." Basically all you have to do is install the handrails and press-on a few detail parts, and that's it.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
The kits are easy, but good luck finding them. Athearn is moving into the RTR market. Like i said, just get the powered ones.

putting together an Athearn kit usually requires about 15-30 minutes. First thing is to put together the metal handrails correctly. it cna get a littl confusing, but you'll figure it out. the hard part is getting them in the loco, as sometimes they don't fit right. I reccomend seperately ordering plastic handrails, they look nicer, are sturdier, don't rust, and go in easier.

next you have to put the headlights,number boards, and horns in. most of the time you can literaly just shoove it in the correct hole, and it will stay without glue. finally put on the couplers, and you are done. You might want to buy lots of detail parts for them because the kits are detail barren, compared to their RTR coutnerparts.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
LongIslandTom said:
Athearn "kits" are more accurately described as "ready to complete." Basically all you have to do is install the handrails and press-on a few detail parts, and that's it.

beat me to it!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Wow, That's good to know. If thats the case, than I just going to buy engines in kit form for now. Thanks LongIslandTom

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Ok

Can you tell me where to get new upgrades and handrails

i'm falling behind to!

You can order better athearn parts ( like handrails) from Horizon Hobby, or Wholesale trains. ( just search either one and it will come up), thats where i got my stuff from.

just go to the athearn parts category

For other details, like grab irons, you need to order some tools and detail packs. for about $2-3 you can get a pack of 25 Grab irons, probably enough for a locomotive or 2. Also pick up a pinvise ( its a hand turned drill for small holes, its worth it), and a set of bits for it that include a #80 bit. that should be the right size.

On most athearn locomotive shells, there will be small dents were grab irons should be, and all you have to do is drill into them, and stick the grab iron in.

you could also buy a detail kit for most locomtives, and it will have all of that allready in it!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
This sounds like it would work for me. Ill give it a try I guess

Now about that athearn link above?? (Your probly writting your answer right now so ill wait)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Thanks Green_Elite_Cab for that info on the building of the kits. Athearn has lots of them listed on their web site.

Another queston: Do these engines come powered? It does not say dummy like some of them do: http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=GP50+KIT&CatID=THLD

Also can you tell me where to get new handrails and detail parts?

unfortuneately, most of those kits aren't available most of the time. Horizon hobby offically owns athearn, and their site is the place to go if you want to order stuff direct from athearn.

you can get both powered kits and dummies. you can actually power a dummy if you want, but it would cost more than a powered kit to do so. however, the powered kits themselves are exteremly cheap, but very tough, and once detailed and weathered, look great. if you go to my site, you can see my athearn Conrail locomotives ( GP7, GP38, and SW1500), which are all kits.

Horizon Hobby's Parts page-http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/Products.aspx?StoreCatId=T&CatId=THC&Page=1

just search for the particular locomotive you are working on, and you'll probably find what you are looking for.

you can also serach walthers for detail kits like those from Details associates, or Details west. they sell whole kits based around a particular locomotive that come with everthing.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks for all your help.

Those engines do look good. Would have never guessed those were kits.:thumb:

Alright, looks like I got some research to do.

Yup.. Athearn blue-box kits can look very nice once you dress them up. This one is my pride and joy: A blue-box GP38-2:

IMG_0359.jpg