Dumb thing to do...

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
How about this for a not so smart move? I go to the hardware store, buy a bunch of lights and such, and a 12v battery which I wanted to use to check out some new traffic signals I bought earlier.

I unwrap the battery and put it in my pocket, planning to go downstairs to check it out. I get distracted briefly (by the refrigerator and its contents if you must know) and I'm happily snacking out when I wonder - why is my pocket getting so HOT???!!!

Turns out it's the damn battery, which is apparently shorting out or something -- the terminals are in contact with the change rattling around in the same pocket!!!!!

Ooohhh. Yeah. Toasty!

cheers

:rolleyes: Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Ralph
Will you be changing your Gauge identity to "Battery Powered Member"?

That's a great idea except for one thing. The danged battery doesn't work now. I guess if I were battery-powered, with my talent for ruining batteries inside the Dark and Dismal Pocket from Hell, I would be lying flat out on the floor right now, waiting for someone to come along with an AC adapter.

---------------------------------------------- (that's my EKG)
Val

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Val, what a lovely heart (or hip) warming story. :D :D It couldn't have happened to a nicer person :) .

I've heard of money burning a hole in ones pocket but I thought it was just an expression!!:D :D :eek:

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Val!

I always thought I was the only onme this had happened to!

And you're right...those batteries aint worth %$#@ after that!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
You're Lucky

Glad no harm was done....I've seen them explode like a big 'ol firecracker when shorted out. :eek: Talk about "a hole in 'yer pocket"!:D :D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I guess both you and us (the Gauge folks) are lucky that you messed up with a plain 12 volt battery and not your megabuck power battery for your new camera. What would we do without those great photos that you have been sending.

Did you learn anything from this "heated" experience?:D :D :p

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by davidstrains

Did you learn anything from this "heated" experience?:D :D :p

Yeah - I learned that there's more than one way to have hot pants!

BTW, I'm thinking of marketing my latest invention. It's a pocket-warmer and change-purse* in one!

(*batteries not included).

:D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
BTW, I'm thinking of marketing my latest invention. It's a pocket-warmer and change-purse* in one!
(*batteries not included).

Better sell them with a choice of batteries:

12 Volt - Change-purse & Pocket warmer
24 Volt - Change-purse & Torchlight
48 Volt - Change-purse & Arc-welder
:D :D :D

Ron

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Maybe that age old saying is kinda true.

"Liar Liar pants on fire!" :D

I hope you didn't lie to any one before hand. ;) :D

Just a reminder, 12 volt batteries and loose pocket change is NOT a good combination.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by sumpter250
Hi Val,
Good thing you're not a sailor, or we'd have a case of " A salt and battery" ;) ;) :D
Pete

OK, Pete, as the official peanut gallery supervisor, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the peanut gallery for 15 minutes for that one:D :D :D , and in fact, I'm kicking myself out for 5 for quoting it :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :p Val, you're in charge until I get back!:cool: :cool: :cool: