Dumb Questions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catt

Lately I've been seeing a trend on the Gauge that quite truthfully irratates the hell out of me.

That trend is the apolgizing for asking dumb questions. I have said this in print before and will say it one more time loudly

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION!!!

Nobody knows everything and the only inteligent way to find out how to do something is ask someone who has done it.

So ask your questions without apology please.

Ok,now someone else can have the soapbox.

Railery

Hi Catt. Isn't that kind of post a form of 'lingo'. Like, its not really a dumb question, but there is probably a real simple answer.
As proverbs say, " There are no dumb questions only dumb answers.":eek: :D

Originally posted by davidstrains
The DUMBEST question in the world is the one never asked.

Like Catt! said!!!:) :) :)

I spent 30 years telling high school and college students that very thing. The only dumb question is the unasked question.

I'll take Catt's original posting one step more, because quite frankly what irritates the hell out of me are the individuals who express an opinion or answer a question (presumably to the best of their ability) and then immediately apologize for it with:

"Just my 2 cents worth" (or some equivalent expression).

I read that at least two or three times a day on virtually every forum I visit. It sounds so insincere and pathetically insecure and apologetic as to render the original opinion worthless.

And no, I'm going to resist the temptation to type the infamous closing line even as a joke. :rolleyes:

C

Catt

I've always interpated(SP) the dumb question line as "Excuse me but I'm stupid,how do you do (insert your own choice of words here).

Like the man says,"There's no such thing as a dumb question".

If you have a question ,ask it. If someone tells you that it is a dumb question most likely they don't have a clue to the answer either.

Railery

Catt i agree with your interpretation. That is what i said but not straight out. i have a dumb question because i feel stupid for asking for a very simple answer.

Anyway i thought u might get some humor over the proverb.

Personally i like the forums. i get alot of enjoyment out of them and information. Most of the time everyone comes out with the funniest things that i'm ROFLMAO. You guys are so witty.

But "i have a dumb question", is a figure of speech and is used all the time, especially in everyday speech.
Bottom line they still ask the question, with the dumb figure of speech. :rolleyes: :)D

Okay someone else can have the soapbox.

Vic

A hearty second on what Casey said....and since confession is good for the soul...I'm one of the worst offenders!!!!:D with my expression of "just a nickle's worth".

Thinking on it, it is an insecure and insincre expression and one that I will no longer use.

Thanks "Teach" for a good lesson:)

msh

I couldn't agree more. I love to ask questions and I love to give answers if I know them. I won't apologize for asking or answering questions (unless my answer is wrong, of course) and I believe we all have the right to contribute without reprisal. What one thinks is a dumb question may be the question someone else never thought to ask and now THEY have the help they need. As to the answers closed with those snide little disclaimers about opinions and 2 cents, etc. They just bug me and always have. Like we didn't already know that????

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks honesty, integrity and sincerity are equally important here as they are in the physical world. :)

rockislandmike

I figure if one person asks the question, at least a handful of others have thought about asking it but haven't, or won't.

So hear, hear.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION!!!

Nobody knows everything and the only inteligent way to find out how to do something is ask someone who has done it.

Now can I hear a big "AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!"
Pete

Clerk

I am "sorry" but I guess I am not as smart or secure as you folks are so I will go someplace else
GOOD BY

cidchase

Well, now that we know what irritates the hell out of you guys, I guess we'll be REAL careful not to tread on yer toes. Will that make y'all feel better, huh??

Pooh Bah
Dick: I hope you didn't mean that Good bye! Everyone has little things that bug them. Mine is thread titles that don't give any idea what they're about. But we keep on and get together and kid each other and pass a little information around.
NCAWWASBE.

questions

Dick, I'm sorry if I bruised your ego, but I have never thought that injecting a bit of levity in such asinine a subject of stupid questions would rile any person. Humor can level out many bumps and grinds as long as it is not done in a malicious way. I wonder if you all would feel different if the question was posed as ''I have an ignorant desire for information.''? Stupid being a lack of intelligence, ignorant being unaware of certain facts. I have a mind of relatively good intelligence, however, this computer and a digital camera, I am quite ignorant about, tho slowly learning.

Joking and humor are my armor against hurt feelings. I guess I'm like a dog with one knocker and one fang; can't ...(sire)..., and can't fight. Just able to peee on bushes and howl at the moon.

Any more stupid questions? I'll read answers and learn to be a little less ignorant.

Lynn

Clerk

Thanks David.
I just wanted to add a little punch to my line.:confused: :confused: :mad: :D

Lynn.
Thanks for you post. I just think that Catt came on a little strong as we will always have new people that were not here when Catts statment was made so somebody new is bound to say "I have a dumb question". I was just wondering what his thoughts will be when that happens. I really thought about quiting the Gauge so what will these new people think? In fact I wasn't here when Catt made the first statement about "Dumb questions" so could have said that myself except it isn't my style.

jon-monon

The other purpose of asking the erm, uh, easy question (trying not to offend catt here :D :D :D ), is that half the fun of a forum is to help others, and these easy questions can be answered sometimes by folks like me or Superdawg, and then we feel good about ourselves while giving the schmardt fellers a break .If we're wrong, we get gently corrected (bad dawg, bad dawg!) and learn a little. Now, when the little plastic people start answering, I think it will be time to start a new forum.

Clerk

Jon
Ha Ha. If Those little plastic people start talking, I am going to start looking for little plastic men in white coats. For me, not them.:p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.