May 16, 2006
Do you nail or glue it? (Sorry if this is the dumb question of the week!) LOL
Stan

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I got another dumb question.

I have never layed track using track bed before. I just always glued the track to the table and put some ballast over it and called it done. Now I ordered some Woodland Scenics track bed and I no that you glue the track bed to the foam/table but how do I attach the track to the track bed??

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Glue is probably the better way to go--you can use nails but the WS foam roadbed has a bit more "give" than cork and it's easy to push things out of alignment with a too readily applied nail. Considering the aesthetic advantages of glue, it's probably the better choice overall.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Are you talking about the track with the plastic track bed attached to it?

If so, Bachmann recommends using Liquid Nails to glue it. When I used it on the layout that is what I used and it worked well. When I took up the tracks it also did not take up whole sections of foam with it.

I am now using Atlas Snap Track with Woodland Scenics Road Bed. I am using Titebond II to glue the Track Bed to the Pink Foam. I am then using a small amount of white glue to glue the track to the track bed. When I ballast the track that will also help to keep it in place.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
I have ATLAS CODE 83 track, the same as you. I think that I will do the same thing as you have done only I have the white foam because I live in CA. do you know what glue I should use to attach the track bed to the white foam?? White glue also??

I used white glue for the ballasting the Hotel Under Construction Yard on my new layout and it seemed to work fine.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I used EZ track for my layout and used Liquid Nails for Projects. After applying the glue, I placed smooth wood on top of the track sections and quart cans of paint on top of the wood trying to get the track exactly level throughout the layout. I also ballasted and painted (in that order...big mistake) the track as well. I think there is still some pictures of the ballast and painting somewhere here on this forum...if you'd like to check it out...otherwise, see my gallery for the (almost) completed trackwork of my layout. BTW...I'd suggest weathering the track first, then glueing it down, then ballasting...I found doing it the other way around was way harder and time consuming. (I think mine is still not weathered/rusted enough and to fix it I have to paint all the rails by hand with a 00 brush. One day I'll get the color I'm looking for...) With a little effort, you can even get the turnouts to look pretty good (IMHO).

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
TruckLover: Liquid Nails for Projects, the foam-safe kind, is suitable for attaching Atlas flextrack to foam. On my latest mini layout project I used California Home Depot white Styrofoam, because I had some lying around, and Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I applied a bead of Liquid Nails (it comes in a big tube like caulk) where I wanted the roadbed and used a putty knife to spread it out to make a thin layer of glue that would cover the bottom of the roadbed. I gave it a while to dry, then apply another bead of glue on the WS roadbed, spread it with the putty knife, and position the track. You have to be a little careful to get it just right, and use long dressmaker's pins to hold the track down in troublesome spots, but it works just fine and it stays put. I have also heard tell of people using caulk products like DAP to secure track, as long as the stuff doesn't dissolve the styrofoam it should work.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks Jetrock.:)

I guess I will be making another trip to home depot today. But hey, it the stuff works and does what I want it to do, which is just secure the roadbed and track, then I am definetly ok making another run to home depot.