Duluth-Superior rail photos

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Dan and Phil Keepers and I went out saturday searching for a bit of rail action.
While things were a bit slow,we did manage to get a fe nice shots.
Here's a little tast of our day in the Twin Ports!

Attachments

• Mesabi Units.jpg
    Mesabi Units.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 36

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Dan and I started by stopping at the mesabi Yard where above you see a few SD's set out on the shop ready tracks.We then picked up Phil and after a stop at the LHS headed to Superior where a caol drag was just leaving the yard headed for Midwest energy.I managed to get a shot of the Oakway Leased Unit # 9034 in EMD Livery.

Attachments

• EMD 9034.jpg
    EMD 9034.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
After cruising around superior and seeing nothing moving we went to check out Phils NP Layout in HO set in the cascades area circa 1955.It includes an incredible dbl helix(a helix within a helix) and aprox 10 scale miles of mainline with 2 helper districts.We operated a few stewart FT's an also some steam including a BLI unit with sound and a Lifelike mallet.We ended our operating by checking out his On30 BLI C-16 which is identical to mine and heard its sound chip sweetly sing its railroad song.Man those are nice.
After heading out from Phils,Dan and I made one more stop at Nopeming junction,After a few minutes we were rewarded with a CN freight dragging itself up the near 2% grade with a lot of empty Grain hoppers centerbeam flats and boxcars.We did notice one drop center flat with a load directly beind the 3 units heading the train.CN #5438 led the train.

Attachments

• CN #5348.jpg
    CN #5348.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 37

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I did manage to snag a shot for the BNSF fans out there also.
How about a Dash8 for you modern fans in her new clothes ;)
Heres #5288 freshly washed and Idling on the ready track.

Attachments

• BNSF 5288.jpg
    BNSF 5288.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 33

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
All in all it was a great day with good weather if not a lack of moving trains.Heres one parting shot for you rolling stock fans of a graffiti covered cylindrical hopper.
A rather talented artist if you ask me :)

Attachments

• Graffiti on cylindrical Hopper.jpg
    Graffiti on cylindrical Hopper.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 38

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Sadly yes, the mesabi is now owned by the CN as is the DWP. I would imagine we'll see the old maroon and gold for a while yet.Dan and I both figured repaints would happen as major overhauls came up and some of these units may not need that for 5 or more years.the Mesabi had a great maintenance shop.In fact, the Mesabi completely rebuilt several SD 9's into thier own design giving them far more pulling power.These are now called SD M's. Several roads have leased them during slow periods and every one has commented on the huge improvement in performance these units have over thier original design.
The Mesabi always had the Best of the Best!!! :)
Dan had some battery trouble with his digital early on but managed to get some slide shots early.the Digital was working for this train and he shot it from up on a hill across the tracks.Perhaps he'll share a photo or 2 as he gets an opportunity.
My camera has a few quirks i need to get accustomed to and I took some photos that i didnt press the button hard enough on Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr I missed out on several good shots,one being an Old Depot of the Mesabi.Dan sent me his shots and I'll see if he'll post them for ya'll or give me permission to do so. :)

By the way, ignore the dates.I didnt set the date on the camera again LOL

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
That's a shame about BNSF buying the Missabi
Ahhh , Mikey , that would be the CN (canadian national) That bought them.
I agree though, seeing the arrowhead dissapear is going to stink.
Perhaps the CN should consider keeping it and plopping thier initials within the Arrowhead emblem, Like this :D

Attachments

• DM&IR CN  LOGO  What IF.JPG
    DM&IR CN LOGO What IF.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 30