dubble track on w.s 2% grade

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
i am useing woodland secnics 2% grade and i want to run a dubble track will i need two sets of the risers or will one work

and if i need to use two will the inside grade be longer because the inside run is shorter than the outside

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
In N scale you could probably get two on one but not in HO your clearances won't make it fit. I would also be careful in N if your radius is to small and you run large cars and locos they could interfere with each other. Test it with your largest car and a pencil draw where the overhang is on the outside one and plan the interior around that one,Pat.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
like said, it'll work fine on straights. I did the same thing. But curves, they're too close together for long cars. You'll need a 2nd incline piece at the curves to give you some more clearance.

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Here's a thought, not sure if it would work, but it's something I have considered doing....

If you took the 2% risers and put a piece of foam on top of them, your foam would then be at a 2% grade. This could be wider than the risers and allow for double tracks around the curves without a problem.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
guppyman, I think that would be a great way to save money but then you would have to either cut down the riser the thickness of the foam on top or continue that foam all the way around to keep the same height. Pat

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
You can use a piece of foam on the side of the inclines to extend the width a little, maybe 1/2 or so, which should give you enough clearance on curves for longer cars. My WS book shows this being done for N scale applications and double tracks.