Drive In models

Narrow MInded

Dec 30, 2006
I have been wondering. Does anyone here know of any model drive inn's that can be hooked up to dvd player. I am planing a small layout I think it would look cool.

Thank you

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've seen a modular layout on display at a flea market that had set up like you described. I was cool. I think they took a small screen and built a housing around it to resemble a drive in movie screen. Fun!
Ralph

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Our Club recently put a drive-in into the layout. It was made from a rear-view camera for a car. We put the camaera pointed at the mainline so visitors can see a track-side view of the train coming by.

BobGui

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary Alberta
The last train show I went to, they used one of those smaller portable DVD players mounted in a way that only the screen showed. The rest was mounted on a bracket that went below the scenery level.

What made it really slick is that the baseof the screen hid the rest of the player.

Some of the newer portable DVD's are a lot thinner than the one I saw and would look a lot more in proportion.

Post a pic when you get setup and maybe give us a short "How I did it"

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Here is a photo of a drive-in theatre at a train show in Chilliwack BC. I'm not sure what sort of receiver was used for the screen, but they did mention that it was fed off of a DVD player. Notice the child's play area just below the screen. I could almost smell the aroma of popcorn and hot dogs coming from the snack bar. The effect was all too real, bringing back some memories I thought I had blocked forever. Memories of those days when I actually liked girls more than trains!

06OctChilliwack 019.jpg

boppa

Jul 21, 2002
australia
au.geocities.com
many years ago when i had a layout running, i had a 7" black and white tv mounted so the drivein `screen' was in front of a heavily wooded hill (that hid the picture tube and assorted electronics) running off a beta vcr (that dates it lol)

i have been playing with an old laptop to see how hard it is to `dismount' the lcd screen and have it as a drivein screen (the old one ive pulled apart works out to be about a 100ft screen ie midsized 200 car drivein)

the aspect ratio is wrong as its not the widescreen lcd- i was just going to hide the bottom 1/3 of the lcd in the support structure and use it like that