Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

jon-monon

Thank you, my good friend, yes, I love it! well over 1000 photo's taken in the last month :D

Here the NS Crew brings in a fresh load of ballast:

abz.jpg

aca.jpg

This used to belong to the Wabash Railway, before bought by N&W, then NS. This mainline was relocated in the late 90's and now runs through the old Monon properties.

acb.jpg

acc.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Nice to see the switching going on. Did you get a blast form the horn as you stood in the path of 5173 to get the third photo?

jon-monon

hehehe not this time, Robin, they did yell "Get the hell off the tracks" once. This time I was driving by.

I chased this rascal all over the place, saw it first onthe horseshoe, from US 52, but by the time I got pulled off to a safe place, I was just on time to see it dissappear. Then I went down SR 25 and just missed it again as it pulled into the yards. I didn't have time to pursue it further, but I later noticed it by my house, on a siding near the yard lead:

acd.jpg

After going home, I came back about 1/2 hour later and I could see her from the lead, but she's back up in the yard, by the caboose:

ace.sized.jpg

Then I cought one more shot as I drove over the yard on 52:

acf.jpg

jon-monon

I forgot I had this photo, that train on the right gets real interesting. I hope to post some pics of it soon.

Attachments

• 1043.jpg
    1043.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 48

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
That's a great shot of the crane Jon. In the one photo that track going through the switch looks as wavy s my track laying.

jon-monon

After shooting hte crane, I went out for groceries, hoping to get some better shots along the way (see Robin, I do have a life, I also eat! :D ). Well the crane was gone back into the yards, but there were a couple of GPs switching autoracks, so I parked it and decided I would get some shots. They were going all the way accross the crossing, so it was a good photo op.

acn.jpg

The GP's rumble by, switching the autoracks of SIA

acm.jpg

acl.jpg

I was surprised to see a pair of Dash-9's being drug along:

ack.jpg

aco.jpg

Notice the door open in the front

acp.jpg

Man, the ground shakes when these mightly diesels roll by

jon-monon

The natural progression after the delivery o fballast would be the arrival of MofW equipment. Em Oh Doubleya, as they say around here. So when I went for a walk last night, here's what I found:

acw.jpg

acv.jpg

Then this morning, as I drove over hte crossing, I saw a yellow light flashing somewhere near the MOW

Attachments

• 1121.jpg
    1121.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 41

jon-monon

Then when I loaded the pics onto the PC, I saw an LPB.

So Brakie - them rail workers got funny names for us, but I bet they don't know I'm callin' them LPBs! :D :D :D

Attachments

• 1121lpb.jpg
    1121lpb.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 38

chipmonk

jon,
these are some great photos, enough that i may try to model this yard! anyway i was just wondering if the A/D tracks connect to the yard anywhere other than here

attachment.php

is there another cross-over before the A/D tracks turn away from the yard?

Thanks for providing this great resource and keep up the great photography!:thumb:
Chirs

jon-monon

OK, Shamus, here are closeups of hte MOW gear for you:

acx.jpg

and NO RIDING ON THIS pease :D :D :D

acy.jpg

acz.jpg

ada.jpg

Attachments

• 1184c.jpg
    1184c.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34