Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

jon-monon

Brakie - glad you enjoy them. Yes, that's a wye that's built into the yards, and one leg is a siding that feeds all the local industries NW serves on the East side of town, except Staleys, the factory adjacent to the yards that's seen in many of hte photo's. I'll try to go for a wlak by sometime int he next few weeks, whenever I get a chance on a nice day, and get some better shots of the tracks and how it all ties together.

Not to worry, Mikey, in IN you can still shoot cabeese with a camera anytime. If you use a rifle, you need to get permission, unless they are on your property and not on a right of way :D :D :D

That's right, Robin, I fire away as a drive by and don't even know what's in the yards or if I got any good pics until I get to work and have a look. I drive a large van, so I have to extend my right arm all the way and lean a little to get good shots and not get too much of hte window frame. I've shot a few out the front, but it's usually too far away and I can't zoom in and compose.

jon-monon

Well this morning, I almost left my camera at home because it was raining hard, and I didn't feel there was any chance to get a good shot. Well, as I approached the yards, it appears a trucker cut it a little short coming out of hte NS Yards road. There is a 90 deg bend just before the road connects to the highway.

Attachments

• 524.jpg
    524.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 50

jon-monon

These aren't going to win any photo contests, but they give you a good idea of how hte wye looks. I get some on a walk by that will be mroe telling later.

Attachments

• pict0513.jpg
    pict0513.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 46

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Ouch!!!!

We had one near my work today :( I got a phone call from our main Building, asking me if I had my camera (I didn't)
Seems a car accident occured and a car was on it's roof. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jon-monon

Originally posted by N Gauger
Ouch!!!!

We had one near my work today :( I got a phone call from our main Building, asking me if I had my camera (I didn't)
Seems a car accident occured and a car was on it's roof. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes, I saw that in Indy once, on a downtown multilane blvd, with a speed limit 35, gunshots after the wreck, gee do you think there were drugs/gangs involved? You know how fast you gotta go to roll over on flat ground?

When I turned around for another shot at the truck, I conveniantly used the CSX Yard parking lot and got a few MOW shots there :D :D :D So I'll post them in the other thread.

Poor trucker was looking down at his feet :cry:

jon-monon

Yesterday, as I approached the yard, it appeared very busy, with a string of hoppers being pushed into Staleys

Attachments

• 642.jpg
    642.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 40

jon-monon

I have loads of detail shots of all the track work from Saturday, when I walked over the bridge, and again on Sunday, when I walked under it, :eek: :eek: :eek: in the yards again, Chris! :eek: :eek: :eek: But this time no POVs, so I guess it was a day off for the workers. I have a lot of work to get them all resized to post, but they'll be along soooon. If anyone wants one or two full sized, let me know and I can e-mail it. 1.5 MB ea. If someone wants them all for details, I could burn a CD and mail 'em out.

jon-monon

On Sunday, the first thing I stumbled on was this beautiful string o fcoil cars, waiting to be modeled.

Attachments

• 580.jpg
    580.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 47