Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
So Jon what else are you able to do when you are so busy getting these photos? I do like to see them though especially the caboose

jon-monon

Robin, hehehe would you believe eating breakfast and trimming my beard? :D :D :D j/k, it's really not so bad, I set up the camera just before I get on 5, while I wait for the light, Then I hold the camera out with one hand towards the passenger and start snapping shots on the way by while mostly watching the road. It's far less distracting than having a passenger. Although it may take all the fun out of it, I may see if I can park nearby, walk up and get some better shots of the caboose. I started this with the intention of finding interesting things in the yard by a daily sampling.

Chris, yup, I got a Minolta Z1. I went for features and the lense first, and let the megapixels fall where they may for the budget. It looks, feels and sounds like a 35 mm, which helps me to adapt alot and has full manual control. And it's fast, near zero lag and up to 10 FPS. My love for photography has been awakened! :D

jon-monon

We get a lot of long strings of autoracks from SIA, Hoppers for Staleys, and tankers from Staleys full of that sweet, sticky, yummy corn syrup. Sometimes we get 10 gondos full of cubed scrap metal coming out of "Winsky's" the salvage yard. Of course we see the general mixed trains with a little of everything too.

Gotta love that trackwork at this end of the yards!

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 81

jon-monon

Then our friend, the old caboose is there again. It's almost always there, and there is almost always a couple of loco's there too.

Attachments

• 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 78

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Well Jon I know you say you do other things but between your workbench and your camera there can't be much life left:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I like the photos by the way.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

brakie

Jon,Thanks for sharing those great shots!!! Love 'em!:thumb:
In 3-4 weeks I will have my digi cam..:thumb:

jon-monon

The pleasure is all mine, friends!

That's great, brakie! You won't believe the fun it is, jus tlike when you got your first camera, but better! It's like getting a new camera, and a darkroom both!

I plan to keep taking the pics as I drive by, and if there is anyhting of interest inthe result, posting here.

jon-monon

Today was actually a walk by, and not a lot going on. A couple of diesels sitting there in wait.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109

jon-monon

So, I decided being on foot, it was a good time to focus on our fancy dancy track work :D

Attachments

• 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 105

jon-monon

More than a walk by, I walked into the yards, being Sunday (shhhhh), and nobody around.

Attachments

• diesel.jpg
    diesel.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 106