Drive by Shooting: Lafayette NS Yards

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by jon-monon, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Now that I have entered the digital world of photography, and I have no excuse to miss any photo ops I may encounter, I decided to drive a little out of my way and take some cheap shots at the yards by my house. Sometimes there are some interesting goings on there. Nothing special today, but general busyness. The first shot is at the South end of the yard, by my house. If you recall the RC trains warning sign, it's in this shot.

Attached Files:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

In the above shot, you can see the overpass for US 52. This and the next two are take, again facing North, as I zipped over the over pass at about 45 MPH, uhhhm, 40 MPH, in case any Lafayette cops join the-gauge :D :D :D

Attached Files:

3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

:D

Attached Files:

4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

BTW: The first shot was easiest, taken at slow speed, drivers side, the next three were at highway speeds, but also out the passenger window, which demonstrates how easy it can be to grab some nice shots with a nice, fast camera.

Attached Files:

5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Jon your modeling just gets better and better! Can't tell those shots from the real thing!!!!!!!! :p :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D From the size of the rails that yard must get some heavy-duty use.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

LOL yaaaaaa, but I need to work on weatherin' :D :D :D

The rail in the first shot used to be half of the double mainline before railroad relocation. It went all the way through town. Now it ends just before the next major road south from the crossing. Trains used to block that crossing for hours on end.

But you're right, they do a lot there.
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Those are some terrific pix, jon!! You covered a lot
    of modeling details; the road crossing with sidewalk, the yards, gondola loads, what is that tank for in the second photo??
    (right beside the 90 degree crossing, in a yard, even!!)
    Also the parking lot, dumpster, puddles, vehicles, a real
    gold mine of proto details!! :D :D :D
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I beleive that is the sand tower, and one track on that crossing (left/right - East/west) is a leg of a wye. The other track, the one with the Loco on it, usually has 1 or 2 loco's in wait and a caboose, and it is actuall a siding leading into Staleys (corn syrup). You can see the edge of Staleys, where all the hoppers are, presuamably full of corn. At the bottom of that photo you can see another leg of the wye and a siding that goes through town feeding Cat, Alcoa and several lumberyards. Complex little place! Todays driveby, was pretty unfruitfull, as the yard was not busy, and I experimneted with the "motor drive" and got 10 pictures of the same thing :D 10 fps is too fast! When I get it loaded onto a PC, I'll see if there's anything worth posting.
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

After grabbing the images on the PC, I saw an orange gizmo, and I thot CID might like to see more of te wye, so I picked out these two shots.

Attached Files:

10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Not the best quality this time, but I have a long list of generic excuses if anyone wants to hear them :D

Attached Files:

11. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey, thanx, jon! I didn't realize that was a wye coming
    off the yard, I just thought it was a wild hair !!:D It
    makes more sense now.

I need a bigger layout........

And there's a caboose on it also!! :thumb: :thumb:
  12. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Wow - some great photos, Jon. Thanks for sharing !!!!!
  13. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I had to run an errand and drove by again at lunch today and had a little better luck. The caboose was on the move, but I was onthe wronge side to get a pic :( A GP 2 grain hoppers and the caboose. Someone told m ewe have it because of a local ordinance. They don't have to use it on through trains, but all the locals use it.

There i susually something interesting going on there. The gizmo seems to be spreading ballast.

Attached Files:

14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Attached Files:

15. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Interesting photos Jon, including the ones you took while driving. Isn't that as bad as talking on a cell phone at the same time? Whoa!!! who is actually driving?:D :D :D
  16. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Don't worry, Robin, I have cruise control. I just lock it in at 45 MPH and hop over in the passenger seat and start snapping away! That's how it works, right :D:D:D All of these shots are at speed, because it's no parking there and the entrance to the yards is no trespassing :(

Attached Files:

17. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

EDIT: I brightened up the last fou ror fiv eimages, if they still look gloomy, try a refresh :D

Attached Files:

18. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

This morning, I found our caboose has returned and is sitting behind two bax cars, presumably returning from a run to Alcoa. I saw a CN box car at the Alcoa plant earlier this week. Cat shipments are usually on flats.

Attached Files:

19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

A Plug for Purdue Basketball

When I first opened this, I thot, what are pop up ads doing on my camera! :D

Attached Files:

20. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Attached Files: