Dremel

rockislandmike

I have a Dremel rotary tool, it's really keen. I'm wondering though, can I use it with my small drill set (#54 - #80) ??? If so, what do I need to make it work with these small bits . . . . . .

Clerk

High MIike
I have two different Dremel sets. One set (an old one) uses a transformer and rotory speed dial. The chuck on this one will take any small drill bits.
The other one is new and battery operated. It is dual speed. It is real handy and I use it the most. The chuck does not close tight enough for the really small drill bits. I noticed at Wal Mart that they have chuck replacements but don't know if they will work or not.
One tip that a friend at Abbotsford Canada gave me. Go visis a Dentist and see if you can get some of his old bits. They fit real good in either Dremel and you can use them for a lot of trimming and drilling.

billk

(#54 - #80)
What are these in inches? The smallest collet (the deal that goes inside the chuck) that Dremel has goes down to 1/32".

I've actually used smaller diameter things by wrapping foil around them, but it's hard to get them straight in the Dremel. A straignt pin makes a pretty good drill bit for wood when used that way!

BTW, Dremel has a web site at http://www.dremel.com.

ezdays

Out AZ way
You can get an adjustable adaptor that fits the Dremel tool that will accept bits as small as #80. I have collets from Dremel and other tools that work fine on bits that small. Our local Ace Hardware carries both the adaptor and extra collets of all sizes. I found them on cards near the drill section. You might also check Model Expo or Micro Mart for stuff like this.

Gary Pfeil

I have three different size collets in my old Dremel set ( Iguess I bought it in the late 70's) I often use a #72 bit and while I haven't tried it, I bet a #80 would work as well. don't know what's changed on the newer models. Mine doesn't have a chuck in the sense of the chuck on a power drill. Just those collets.

F

Fred_M

IMHO Dremels turn too fast and are hard to control to use as a drill. I use a $6 drill chuck in a cordless screw driver for small holes. I also use a small cordless drill for any hole bigger than 1/16. No more broken bits, melted plastic, oversize holes, hot chips in the face for Freddy. FRED

rockislandmike

You think ??? Mine has an adjustable speed, from 1 to 10, it worked fine for drilling at 3. Just need that smaller collet I guess, or the adapter. I have a $30 gift certificate for Rona burning a hole in my pocket, might have to pull it out this weekend.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by rockislandmike
You think ??? Mine has an adjustable speed, from 1 to 10, it worked fine for drilling at 3. Just need that smaller collet I guess, or the adapter. I have a $30 gift certificate for Rona burning a hole in my pocket, might have to pull it out this weekend.
You have a variable speed dremel which are far superior to a dremel. Try drilling a #50 hole with it on 10 to see what I am talking about.;) That's the only speed a dremel has. FRED

Gary Pfeil

My 25 year old Dremel has a speed control dial on it, but Fred is still correct about it being too high a speed, even at its lowest setting, to drill styrene without melting it. And if you use something like a foot pedal to slow it down more, you'll find it has little torque. At least that's what I found. However, I generally use a pin vise for plastic, I use the Dremel for brass and sometimes wood. I do use it occassionally to drill holes in plastic ties to insert a spike.

Clerk

My battery operated Dremel has two speeds and the slow speed worked great on any plastic I drilled.
My older one with the variable speed also goes slow enough to drill plastic.
I don't remember ever seeing a Dremel with only one speed but there may be.
I just checked and discovered that the variable speed one is a Minicraft. The battery operated one has the Dremel label on it.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by Clerk
My battery operated Dremel has two speeds and the slow speed worked great on any plastic I drilled.
My older one with the variable speed also goes slow enough to drill plastic.
I don't remember ever seeing a Dremel with only one speed but there may be.
I just checked and discovered that the variable speed one is a Minicraft. The battery operated one has the Dremel label on it.

The number one selling dremel of all time is the single speed model 275-02. http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html which turns at 35,000 rpm. A bit fast for drilling don't you think? FRED

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I think it's called a "keyless chuck" It's a adapter that has a shank that will fit tehe large Dremel collet - & close down to "nothing" to hold the smallest wire gauge drill bits.

I've broken a lot of bits this way.. run it as slow as possible. i finally broke down & bought a pin vice. :D I'm having much better luck now. :)

DanishKnight

I've always owned a Dremel, but have always wanted one that runs less than 5,000 - 35,000 rpm. Something around 500 - 3,000 rpm would be nice at times. Of course I have a cordless variable speed drill, but it's too heavy to hand-hold with small objects frequently/long periods. But then, I could invest in a drill press that would accept the cordless drill. On the other hand, I jumped back into model railroading and bought all the tools I used to use and also bought a Dremel drill press (never had one before), so getting another drill press just doesn't sit well. Moral? Due diligence! Plan Plan Plan! :)

shaygetz

I love my Dremel but have never been too happy with it's low speed capabilities. Micromark has a collet available for cordless screwdrivers that will take small bits. My pinvise has a 3/8" shank that chucks into my 10" drill press just fine and that works for me. Hope that helps a little.

cidchase

Hi, I just wanted to say that you can get a variable speed
rotary tool at Walmart for about $20, IIRC.:sleeping:
I'm sure it's not the quality level of the Dremel brand,
but it sure does a fine job for me!!:) :) :thumb: :thumb:

jon-monon

Ryoby makes a nice less expensive variable speed model as well, and it has a nice cable/mini what ever you call it dealie to do small stuff.

DanishKnight

Originally posted by jon-monon
Ryoby makes a nice less expensive variable speed model as well, and it has a nice cable/mini what ever you call it dealie to do small stuff.

Would that be something like the thing-a-mijig do-whacky? I believe that was originally designed to help when doing small stuff like you suggested.

Could it be kind of like a flex-shaft attachment?

But then, in the words of Eeyore..."So I was wrong, big surprise!"

TrainClown

Idea for thought

Get yourself a flex shaft with a drill chuck on the end and use a variable speed drill to power it. Make a floor switch to plug the drill into so you can turn it on and off with your foot, that way you can put a bit of tape in the trigger of the drill. I use a zap strap when I do this. The zap strap slips on and off the rigger for repeated use and holds the trigger firmer than tape.

You could set it to go as slow as you want.

Also, it works better if you hang the drill up and have the flex shaft coming down to your work. (if you didn't already know this)

TrainClown