Dremel Stylus

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
In the course of a recentl walk through the toy section (tools) of my local big box home improvement store, I saw a new Dremel tool called the Stylus. It's a 7.2 volt rechargeable pistol-gripped device that is very comfortable. Has anyone seen this that can comment on it's usability (power, battery life, etc.)?

You can find information about it here: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69808

Fluesheet

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Ive seen it and held it at the store. Maybe its just me but the pistol grip style is not very conforatable to me when doing detail work. I like the versatility of the standard design, but thats just me.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I just came from Lowes and looked at that very same product only a few minutes ago. That pistol-grip was very comfortable. It seemed more useful for small hobby work than home improvement projects. I think you could make a good argument for buying one - as long as all the normal hobby tools would fit it. I wondered about battery life, replacement battery costs, and if it had a spare recharger so you wouldn't have to stop mid-project. At 7.2 volts, and what must be a small battery, I wonder how long it would continually run if you were say...sanding for instance.

Fluesheet - I fully endorse your unspoken desire to get one. Try it out on a worthy railroad layout project, and critique its qualities. If any family member gives you any grief over the purchase, you can honestly say you've been nominated (which is a tremendous honor) to test a new product (just like Consumer Reports), and your input is absolutely essential to the betterment of the entire model railroading community.:thumb: ...and if that doesn't work...just attach it to some future holiday/birthday gift.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Play-Doh said:
Maybe its just me but the pistol grip style is not very conforatable to me when doing detail work. I like the versatility of the standard design, but thats just me.
Play-Doh, I also thought about how it would feel when doing fine detail work, especially for longer periods. Dremel claims it is designed to be like a pencil, with good fingertip control. The pistol grip may get in the way a little for a pencil feel. However, I personally have trouble with the normal Dremel which, although it is a little more pencil-like (albeit FAT pencil), is also very top heavy. This wears me out and I've had it topple out of my hands a couple of times. The stylus is lighter and would be much more secure in that regard
Herc Driver said:
Fluesheet - I fully endorse your unspoken desire to get one. Try it out on a worthy railroad layout project, and critique its qualities. If any family member gives you any grief over the purchase, you can honestly say you've been nominated (which is a tremendous honor) to test a new product (just like Consumer Reports), and your input is absolutely essential to the betterment of the entire model railroading community.:thumb: ...and if that doesn't work...just attach it to some future holiday/birthday gift.

Or you're just being cheap! :D

You're probably right about it being marginal for what I consider "home improvement" projects. If I need a dremel for that type of use, I'd use my corded one.

Re: your comments on the battery - it's not removable, so can't be replaced. This worries me to some degree. Running down shouldn't be an issue, as long as it lives near it's base / recharger. Dremel claims that the battery has no memory, implying that it can be recharged forever. Hmmm.

I'm talking myself into giving it a try...

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I've been contemplating the same things and slowly tlaking myself into giving it a try too :). My dremel was purchased for me in 1987 by my mom for xmas for my rc cars :). i was 15 at the time and it costed a whopping 80 dollars 1987 money. I was the envy of my friends. It has served me well over the last 20 years and i haven't changed the brushed oiled it or done anything but use it and it is still going ;). So ... that being said i've been trying to talk myself into one of the smaller lighter ones so i can move around my layout and grind stufff.... if you get one before me post your findings it may push me over the edge to take the plunge ... and vice versa for me ;). :thumb:

Fluesheet said:
Play-Doh, I also thought about how it would feel when doing fine detail work, especially for longer periods. Dremel claims it is designed to be like a pencil, with good fingertip control. The pistol grip may get in the way a little for a pencil feel. However, I personally have trouble with the normal Dremel which, although it is a little more pencil-like (albeit FAT pencil), is also very top heavy. This wears me out and I've had it topple out of my hands a couple of times. The stylus is lighter and would be much more secure in that regard

Or you're just being cheap! :D

You're probably right about it being marginal for what I consider "home improvement" projects. If I need a dremel for that type of use, I'd use my corded one.

Re: your comments on the battery - it's not removable, so can't be replaced. This worries me to some degree. Running down shouldn't be an issue, as long as it lives near it's base / recharger. Dremel claims that the battery has no memory, implying that it can be recharged forever. Hmmm.

I'm talking myself into giving it a try...

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I've had a Dremel forever - one of the flex-shaft variable speed ones. Plugs into the wall, so it never runs out of juice, speed can be adjusted to suit any task, and works wonderfully on a host of DIY jobs as well as hobbies of all types.

Since it ain't broken, I ain't lookin' to fix it. :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Just bought the corded/flexible shaft Dremel at Lowe's yesterday - they're having a 15% off sale on all power tools and the Dremel qualifies for the discount. It's not much, but a few dollars saved.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I think I'll go take a look at that pistol grip style. I've always had a hard time holding my 1970's Dremel tool that vibrates the heck out of my hand. :)
Ralph

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Herc Driver said:
Just bought the corded/flexible shaft Dremel at Lowe's yesterday - they're having a 15% off sale on all power tools and the Dremel qualifies for the discount. It's not much, but a few dollars saved.
Thanks for mentioning that. I would like to pick one of those up. Any idea how long that sale lasts? Lowes -- or anything else, for that matter -- is a long drive for me, and I don't want to make a special trip, if I don't have to.

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
Feb 27, 2007
Maine
I just bought one of the corded models with the flex shaft. I think that would offer even greater control over the stylus because you're not holding the weight of the motor and battery in your hand. Plus you can use it without the flex shaft for larger projects around the house.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I finally followed up on the subject of this thread, kind of. I chose to purchase Dremel's 10.8 volt cordless tool instead of the stylus, for a couple of practical reasons.

The first is that I don't use my corded Dremel for real fine work, so the fingertip control that the Stylus model advertises is not really that much of an advantage, after giving it some (4 months) of thought.

The second is that this tool will accept the normal corded tool's accessories, such as the right angle adaptor, flex-shaft, etc. This came in very handy in that I broke my corded Dremel (http://forum.zealot.com/t119797/) the same day I got the cordless. I swapped the right angle attachment onto the cordless and was able to finish the job.

I was spoiled by cordless tools 15 years ago with my first cordless drill. Hopefully this will turn out to be a similar success. The corded Dremel will still get used, but more for heavier / longer use jobs, the cordless more for lighter duty, harder to get to (or more damage prone) areas.

Fluesheet

Attachments

• IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 6