dream chaser shuttle

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I like this one best out of all the prospects.

Attachments

• dream-chaser-iss-docked.jpg
    dream-chaser-iss-docked.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18
  • dream-chaser-space-station-docking.jpg
    dream-chaser-space-station-docking.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 17
  • sfg.jpg
    sfg.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 79
  • sierra-nevada-dream-chaser-120425a-02.jpg
    sierra-nevada-dream-chaser-120425a-02.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 18
  • thCA8R4AFU.jpg
    thCA8R4AFU.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 75
  • thCAUO5LSQ.jpg
    thCAUO5LSQ.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 73

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Dream Chaser is nice looking and nostalgic, but Space X's design is the one to beat. It has flow to the I.S.S. and has docked . It can readily be configured for manned flight. It holds 7 passengers and be flown manually (by the pilot), if needed. This is the vehicle the furhest along. Not only that, they make their own rockets to launch them with.

dragonweb4a.jpg

120729-space-dragon-815p-grid-8x2.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I watched that dock live via a web feed from ISS the first time Dragon docked. too cool. Even if it is just an over grown Apollo capsule.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I watched that dock live via a web feed from ISS the first time Dragon docked. too cool. Even if it is just an over grown Apollo capsule.

It is, and it isn't. Lots of new materials. miniaturized redundant controls systems, makes it really a space ship, more than a pod to return in. I think there can be long term plans for mars too.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
i'm all for space research and development, but I like like the space plane look. and a world wide space program is great too, united to protect the earth from outside threats, Chinese electronics, Russian boosters, American capsules, mixed astronauts, whatever, it all is exciting and although, baby steps, they are taken in the right direction. I say get that cast iron rocket full of brave men to mars this year!! even if they all die. they expect that duty and will claim another planet for the world!
then Saturn's watery ice, and the asteroids treasures on MARS-1 industrial smelting plant. just missle back the gold and iridium and jewels to the moon please! I might even join if they take old farts like me.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Seems their going that way, but I think that the party is over. China is building it's own space station. We have private companies in America, with handfuls of people making viable and successful space systems. NASA is developing the next era drive to take us to asteroid belts to mine (in spaceships made by private industry, while China is celebrating "walking in space"). Competition is alive and well. Some of these countries are claiming whole "Oceans and Seas" as theirs, so I don't see that kind of cooperation, unless some kind of invasion were to happen.

I always wonder what kind of alien would come to Earth if they had any idea of the many 1000's of nuclear weapons pointed, mounted and ready to go. I think that's why they don't come, in any number,if their are any. Traveling all that distance, only to get blown up and dissected! :)

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
what a step up it would be to be a civilization that just wasn't destroying itself.
all those problems just gone. it would be too weird for us to not be in a catastrophe 24/7.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have to say that I do think the Dreamchaser is a far more"romanic" classic design of a ship. I read that the Marine Corp had requirement for the X-37C it to carry 6 or 7 guys! I wonder if they are really doing that? :)

mid-aft-apas-x-37b.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I will always like the Lockheed idea of SSTO with the Delta Clipper, VTOL rocket power... just damn.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Problem with single stage to orbit is you have to carry too much mass that does nothing once is been used, like the fuel tanks, and all the piping and ship surrounding it.

I think what came out of the Venture Star was the aerospike engines, those, with material improvements may have a future. These worked, they just need higher temperature materials to work to their full potential and that's just around the corner. The Delta Clipper was another favorite, and quite successful. :)

[YOUTUBE]FcW9kUUTfxY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JzXcTFfV3Ls[/YOUTUBE]

762px-twin_linear_aerospike_xrs-2200_engine.jpg

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
that far away shot looks like the last time I tried to cook a thanksgiving turkey!
I think that 3-d printed carbon nano tubes could probably make a few thousand of those babys right away. looks like a great engine! wouldn't mind a cheap jump jet flight to japan or England or austrailia once in a while.
the vtol thing, seems like a great idea, I got bad feelings about the landing though, but maybe that was past experiments or something. still looks cool though!

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
looks like that landing was too slow and burned off the legs on the delta clipper, whats wrong with rocky jones fins on the outside!!!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
They made numerous landings with the Delta Clipper (DCX). The concept was a success It was a minor glitch that had one of the landing struts not pressurize properly. It was made primarily out of lithium. Politics prematurely killed this craft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X

DC-XA.jpg