Drawer glides for controller shelf

kpoole

Oct 29, 2007
Can anyone help with a source for some kind of drawer glides (I'm thinking computer keyboard style shelf) for me to mount my controller and switches? I'm doing a door layout, so I'll need to be able to affix to the bottom of the door (or to glued/screwed 1x4). Preferably a local source (Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's?)

Thanks!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I built a controller shelf using 12" drawer slides (Blums) from Home Depot. It's nice to be able to get the controller out of the way...

kpoole

Oct 29, 2007
Drawer Slides

Steamhead,

Thanks for the reply. What did you use for your shelf surface? What kind of clearance do you have between the shelf and the bottom of the layout?

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes. There is usually an instruction sheet with them. As for clearances; the width of the glides plus your shelf width will be the determining factor.
Just looking at my keyboard drawer, it looks like 1/2 inch is needed on each side for the slides but there may be wider ones if you need more load bearing capability.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
The shelf is 3/4" "cabinet grade" plywood. The shelf itself is 17"x 15" and sits 5-1/2" below the top. By luck, just enough clearance for a can of Coke...:mrgreen:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Depending on what you want to spend...office "ready to use" keyboard trays can set you back a good chunk of cash ($40+). Home Depot slides and make it yourself will cost you about $10....

kpoole

Oct 29, 2007
Controller Shelf

I thought I would take a minute and upload a pic or two of the finished shelf for my controller. I found full extension, locking glides at Lowe's for $12. A quick coat of black paint on the 1/2" ply, and she's mounted and ready. During the dry time, I cut and drilled the holes to drop my wiring, and did the rough cut in for my river. For those that haven't caught other posts of mine, I'm doing a door layout of the good ole' Carolina Central (slightly modified at the bridge side, for an easier entrance/exit on the bridge). One of my steamers was cutting it really close without that extra short straight piece!

Attachments

• DSC02114.jpg
    DSC02114.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 7

kpoole

Oct 29, 2007
Layout

Yep, it's a Kato controller, and Kato turnout controllers. I may wind up powering the turnout controllers with a Bachmann power pack that I have (I already have the DC Converter if I decide to do that). I had seen so many people who had built the Carolina Central and had good things to say that it looked like a good starting point.