Drag Saw info

looseclu

Jan 16, 2010
North Padre Island, Texas
The bean counters in the office have decided we need a steam powered drag saw on the landing to cut all the long logs into 20' lengths. We've been doing just fine with two man gangs cutting them by hand but they say it'll save time and money so I have to build one. Does anyone out there have photos or plans for a drag saw that will handle 5' diameter logs? I would purchase one if someone made an HO scale version but I'd be happy to build my own.... just don't know where to start on this mandate from the bosses. Those front office guys aren't always wrong- their Lidgerwood car on the skyline really sped up moving the logs; I'm not sold on this drag saw idea (but they are). Can anyone help me out with a good photo or plans for such a contraption? Thanks in advance if you can help me.
Roy

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Roy,

somebody made some in HO and O, I can't remember off the top of my head. That's a part of the needed equipment that I haven't gotten to yet , let me do some research, and I will try to get back to you.

Bill Nelson

looseclu

Jan 16, 2010
Mountain man, I guess I'm going blind but having invested half a day looking through 2 years worth of my NWSL Gazettes I couldn't find any such adds. Google and Bing also don't know of any kits- can you tell what company makes such a thing? It was an enjoyable way to throw away half a day but it is really beginning to bug me. I've found many gas powered small dragsaws but only one larger steam powered type photo and its blurred and not very helpful. I'm willing to build my own version but would prefer to "get it right" and copy an original. My rough idea is a 5' x 3' x 3' frame made out of rr ties with some gear reduction between the donkey to an old loco drive wheel (from a Hiesler?) connected to a modified long saw blade. A lever controlled blade guide and a second lever to control power are also on the sled mounted frame. That's as far as my imagination goes, some factual input is obviously needed.

Bill, I'll also let you know if I come up with anything (since you aren't logging my neck of the woods).
Roy

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I have come up blank as well, the echo mountain saw set (etched stainless) was all circular and two man cross cuts. I need some of these in HO and one in O for several projects. but I'm comming up blank on the drag saw.

The way I think these things were set up is the saw blade was attached to a rod directly off the piston. the cylinder had some rods coming off the sides with hooks that could hook into a log, keeping it from rolling away with the outward stroke of the saw. something had to brace the log and or the saw for the pull stroke as well.

The kicker is I keep thinking I remember seeing an add for some in HO. but I haven't had any luck. When I get time to search my library I'll hunt up my Ralph Clement Bryant Logging, on of my Dad's forestry Textbooks (dad's is the 1928 edition, an edition from the teens is available from the NMRA as a reprint) I will keep looking as I come across stuff, but have come up blank so far.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
some info

I did a google search, and the first thing I found was a link to this forum Isn't technology wonderful. I did find some usefull text information. The drag saw blade differs from the cross cut blade in that it only cuts on the pull stroke, like a Japanese pull saw; hence the name drag saw.

I have found nothing on the ho scale models I think I remember from some where.

I did find a you tube video of a steam powered drag saw in action (there are lots of videos and links to gas powered drag saws).

Here is the link I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygyuWg12i2A&feature=related

Bill Nelson

I'm not done, I will keep looking, if all else fails, I will have to scratch build some. and if I do that I will document it in the show us your unique logging equipment thread.

looseclu

Jan 16, 2010
Hi Bill,
That should do it- I found an article in their (Evergreen Hill/NWSL) logging magazine on how to scratchbuild a large drag saw and have ordered the back issue. When it arrives I will be happy to scan it and send it to you if you wish- just let me know. Thanks again for your help.
Roy

looseclu

Jan 16, 2010
After looking about at what was available on the internet about dragsaws, I went ahead and built what I had in mind. It actually would cut cut wood until I connected the drive to the steam donkey- the internal gearing and main drive are functional as is the blade guide/lift. It’s a Rube Goldberg special big enough to require its own sled. This is a first attempt to attach photos which further denigrates the obviously amateur photography but here goes.
Roy

Attachments

• Xdrag10.jpg
    Xdrag10.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Xdrag8.jpg
    Xdrag8.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Xdrag6.jpg
    Xdrag6.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 51

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
nice machine

That is a nice machine. someday I hope to set up a scene where small logs are cut up for locomotive fuel, along with massive piles of firewood on drying racks, something that is sorely missing on my RR, where more than half of my locomotives are woodburners.

I'm in the process of converting some of my mainline locomotives to coal, but the woods engines, and the sawmill switcher will certainly remain woodburners. I also need lots of chord-wood to fuel the donkey's I want to have in place all over the place.

Good work, we will see if your work can inspire me to get back to work!

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Thanks for the inspiration. I had enough projects in the works , but cooking dinner I cane across material for a drag saw blade. I posted info for that over in the Your unique logging and minning equipment section, which has been mostly dormant since I finished my Surry Parkers.

So far I've just turned out a blade

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?p=905923#post905923

once again, thanks for helping to keep the juices flowing!

Bill Nelson