DPM Modulars... great stuff!

Tap

HEy all,
i just got my hand on a DPM modular kit. Its #354 fedups (fed-ex ups get it :D) freight co. its too big for my layout but it has so much potential. for just 50$ CAN i can build 4 industries. (just the front part , but i will kitbash wall for the side and put foam core in the back since we wont be looking there :p) i highly reccoment this to everyone who think that plastic kits cost too much. There is a lot of detail that a 15$ model wont have . pictures are coming !

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
The versatility of DPM parts is one of their great selling points. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them!
Ralph

Tap

3fed5e08.jpg

ec245bb6.jpg

3fbc7abe.jpg

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
What is great with DPM modular kits, you can make them adaptable to fit your space.
I love them.
To bad the Walthers modualr wall system, you have to buy the parts seperatly(pillisters, foundation, ect..ect) where as the DPM comes with everying you need.

FiatFan

Here's what I did with another DPM kit. I needed an odd shaped building to fit an odd shaped area. Took a little fiddling but I think it came out fairly well. Many details yet to be added but progress is being made.

Tom

Attachments

• S9250002.JPG
    S9250002.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 148
  • S9250003.JPG
    S9250003.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 146

Tap

thats nice stuff! so anyone have tips to add details to these models? i have one.

to make the brick wall look old get a hobby knife and carve out bricks in certain areas (like under a windowsill, on top of a door) to simulate bricks that have fallen or that are damaged. i done it in one of my models and it looks just awesome (remember to paint the model after and to darken the Holes to make them stick out.)

Glen Haasdyk

Excellent work there Tom. the angled wall is really neat.
Here's what I did with the fedUps kit, using most but not all of the wall sections:

afg.sized.jpg

agv.sized.jpg

doctorwayne

I really like the DPM modular wall systems. Here are a couple of shots of my National Grocers Wholesale Warehouse. The section in the foreground with the arched windows is the older part of the complex, with a newer addition to the left, and another section on the opposite side of the elevated right of way. The backs of the structures are plain .060" styrene sheet, as are all of the roofs and the loading dock. The roof top water tank is scratchbuilt, along with the rooftop access doors and elevator head-houses. The older part of the complex is tapered, the addition is angled and the backwalls of both are curved, as is the trackside wall of the part on the opposite side of the elevated track. There are two enclosed access walkways across the tracks: both are scratchbuilt, with the roof of one coming from an old Kibri stationary crane, and the roof of the other from the cupola of a Heljan engine house. If I recall correctly, the whole shebang cost about $100.00, but I had enough parts left over to make a boilerhouse/powerhouse for my shop complex in Lowbanks, and I still have quite a few wall sections left over for other projects.

100_5392.jpg

100_5750.jpg

Wayne

Tap

you also have the garage by dpm! here is my kitbashed version

PV061145.jpg

anyone know how to make skylights?

Glen Haasdyk

Thant's the DPM gold kit Harlee and sons cycle shop. Its the one that comes with all the metal detail castings.

As for skylights, Just use larger Grandt line window castings I figure.

Tap

UPDATE!!!

i glued one of the front buildings together and made an interior. Take a look!

its made out of foam core, hot glue and spare stuff i had in my modelling box. I will get better pictures soon, because it does not really look good at all with the flash.

It was done pretty fast and im still cleaning hot glue webs and touching up the paint

PV061147.jpg

PV061148.jpg

PV061150.jpg

PV061153.jpg